1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Tipping Housekeeping?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by lmking1224, Jul 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lmking1224

lmking1224 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do you guys tip housekeeping? I haven't tipped in any hotel I've ever stayed in, and now I feel guilty. It's not that I'm cheap -- I always tip waitresses and bartenders 25% if they are decent, since I used to work in the service industry -- it's that I really didn't know this was a thing.

Now that I've read that others tip housekeeping, I am embarrassed that I haven't done so.

That said, we do put the "DND" sign on the door and just ask for extra towels, since I feel weird having someone in our room when all of our "stuff" is in there...it's not even about stealing, it just feels strange...

But I suppose I should be tipping housekeeping when I leave?

I'm very embarrassed for being a "cheapskate."

Do you tip housekeeping? If so, how much?

2. vwhiten

vwhiten High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We tip housekeeping $5 a day - Some times we keep the DND sign out- the next day if we want housekeeping to clean we leave $5 - we don't double up for the day we had them skip us. I also pick up after myself and tidy the room. If you stay a couple of days and don't use housekeeping I would tip $5 when I leave if they haven't been in the room -- I have walked by some rooms when they have the door open -- Some people are huge pigs/sloths -- I feel sorry for those housekeepers.

Val

36th Wedding Anniversary
  3. lmking1224

lmking1224 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for your response!

I am so used to picking up and cleaning up at home that I do it in the room...I always wipe down the sink/counter/bathtub/toilet every time that I take a shower or am in the bathroom period. I always wipe down something in the bathroom, even if I'm only in there to use the bathroom or brush my teeth. My husband is a slob, so I'm used to doing it at home and just consider it a habit.

I always gather all of the towels and put them in the tub, with the shower curtain open, so that they are easy to gather.

I always throw away all trash and tie up the bags and leave them by the door, wipe up any spills, etc, before we leave. I even make up the bed, even though I know the bedding will be changed, just so it doesn't look like we left like slobs.

I try to leave the place like I found it, but I do feel guilty now. I'll tip housekeepers now.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  4. Hobofrank

Hobofrank Prime Minister of Idiocracy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm with wvwhiten, $5 for each day I actually have them clean
    they make like $4/hr and some of these people really really trash their rooms and HC just has to suck it up

when you hand it to them in person their eyes light up, that alone is worth the $5

5. Piggylane

Piggylane Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not in Las Vegas. They are paid around $30K a year with union benefits plus tips.

I tip the first day the determine the level of service to determine whether they're going to get anything else, particularly in Las Vegas and other large cities where they're better paid. In smaller Podunk towns I will tip every day unless they disappoint me. It's a service. If you aren't happy with the service complain and don't pay for it. If you are happy with it, tip. As I travel for business we have guidelines for tipping, capped at $5 a day regardless of where we stay or how much the room costs. Anything more and it's out of my pocket.

6. topcard

topcard Older than the Stardust!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is going to sound sneaky of me, but hey - it's better than most guests leave, so I'm ok with the tactic:

I leave $5 on the first morning... this has the effect of giving me a very-well serviced room.
    For the second and third mornings, I leave $2 or $3, but the quality of the room clean-up remains high (perhaps hoping for the $5 again on morning #3)

(But if I leave any written special requests, I always leave a $5)
    :beer:

Seems like forever from now, but the flights are booked, so it counts!
  7. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I leave $2.00 a day on the pillow.

8. newmans

newmans VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I leave $5 a day in a regular room or jr suite. If I'm in a larger suite, $10. There is often a gratuity envelope in the room.

9. sybgal

sybgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We keep our room pretty neat....always throw any trash in the can not leaving junk sitting on tables or nite stands. All used towels are in a pile and I make sure to arrange toiletries in a corner of bathroom counter. What I do at home just carries over to the hotel room. I leave $3 a day on my pillow with a thank-you note. I don't change the amount if we get bad service one day because the person coming in that day may not be the one who did a less than good job.

10. KevinF2020

KevinF2020 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    $2-5 a day on the pillow with a thank you note, only on days we actually get housekeeping service. We tip everyday we get service, not just at the end, because the housekeeper might be different on different days.

11. Bo333

Bo333 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    $5 a day because of the different staff on different days.

12. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Try supporting a couple kids in an expensive city on $30K and benefits. We tip daily unless the housekeeper does a crappy job.

13. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    $5/day and I keep my room very neat... for me... I also don't subscribe to this baloney of trying to figure whether or not they have good dental benefits, etc.
    I sincerely appreciate coming into a room every night that looks like I'm the first one to ever sleep there. I know some don't tip, which is another reason why I do... I glance in the other rooms as I walk down the hall and whoa... some of those folks that like to pack 6-8 in a room to make the costs pencil really leave the maids a mess.

14. ExVegasLocal

ExVegasLocal Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    $5 per day, left on the pillow. And I tidy up the room before I leave it. The least I can do is throw away the trash, organize my belongings, and gather the dirty towels.

I have often tipped a speedy cocktail server $5 for a round. I see no reason why the person who cleans my bathroom should receive less.

15. bobby jones

bobby jones Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It is rare that I spend more than three nights in a row in a hotel room. I almost always leave the do not disturb sign on. I or we are pretty neat so no need to have anyone in the room dAily. If I need an extra shampoo I will grab one from the cart and tip the maid right there. Otherwise a five on the pillow on departure.

16. Char1

Char1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In Vegas we tip min $10 per day, we are spending a lot of money on other services, gambling, dining it does not make sense not to tip.

May 28-June 2
  17. MickeyMickey1975

MickeyMickey1975 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    $5 a day whether I have them clean the room or just get towels

18. sam_marques

sam_marques High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    $5 a day on the pillow, more if I have any requests ie extra shower gel, pens etc

Mommys Solo Trips
  19. mrem3200

mrem3200 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Generally yes, but it is not a priority. If I stay somewhere for one night and I don't have anything smaller than a 20 I am not going to go out of my way to get change and I am not leaving a 20 so they get nothing. For longer stays I will usually leave a 10 or 20 the last day, I don't have a set formula but it usually is less than $5 per night that a lot of people have mentioned.

20. rolotumasi

rolotumasi Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always leave $5.00 per day with a note that it is for housekeeping.

Super Bowl 2017!!!
Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.