1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Tipping for better seats when your seats are assigned?

Discussion in 'Shows & Entertainment' started by cxi, Dec 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cxi

cxi Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I read about this in places and am not sure, thus my asking...

Three of us have tickets for Penn and Teller tomorrow night in the same section which have assigned seat numbers from Ticketmaster.

Is there a way to tip your way to a better seat when we arrive at the Rio?

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. llc

llc Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for posting this question as I was wondering the same thing but for a different show.

3. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    All I can relate is my personal experience. I'm a big fan of the "20-dollar trick" and have been relatively successful with it. Having said that, I've not succeeded in getting assigned seating upgraded. I've been moved forward by ushers if there were empty seats at televised/recorded events (they don't like empty seats) - but that's a different matter.

What I see happen with popular shows is the VIP and best sections sell out first. So, they're simply not available to give out. And, most all ticket agencies now sell by the "best seat available" model - which means they fill the seats from the front to the back, not leaving empty seats as they go.

Your best bet, if you're into risk taking, may be to check in with the box office (not a ticket vendor) after the deadline for ticket pickup has passed. Some shows (like Absinthe) require ticket pickup at least one hour before the show. It is possible to scoop up unclaimed tickets. You'll get no price break, but you could land in a very good seat.

Bill

4. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I tried this at Jubilee once. What a corporate FAIL. Embarrassing.

I slickly showed some cash to an usher to get a better seat. Yup, she took us to better seats and whipped out a wireless credit card terminal for me to pay The Man for the upgrade.

No tip for you honeybunch.

On the other hand, at the Rat Pack show at the Plaza some years ago, $10 netted me and Mrs. Flusher a comfy private booth.

5. matguy

matguy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I really don't think it'd work at Penn and Teller, or much of any show with assigned seating like that.

Shows where you may be ushered to tables that are less than previously assigned, maybe. Just don't do it with a pocket full of nickles at a Wayne Newton show.

6. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    All you can do is try. I tried it at Jubilee! and it actually worked. We ended up at the 2nd row of tables from the front. If one of the jugglers had dropped something we'd be dead.

7. habs0nut

habs0nut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Worked for me at Human Nature. Had seats at a table and tipped the maitre'd/usher and we're moved to a VIP booth which are probably the best seats in the house. I wasn't sure how to approach doing it so I asked if it was possible and she told me if I was willing to take care her she could help. I produced a $20 and we got our booth.

8. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The OP was specifically asking about assigned seats.

Booths and tables are often treated as ticket "sections" wherein you buy placement in an area - not a specific assigned seat. In other words, you are guaranteed seating in that section (which can be a booth or a table) but each person does not have an assigned seat.

Bill

9. PrinPebb

PrinPebb Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Our first trip to Vegas 5 years ago we didn't know better, and went to buy tickets for "O" that day and all we could get was singles a row away from eachother. We bought them anyway, I really wanted to see it. We went to the show a little early, explained the situation to the girl outside the show gates (with a 20 visible in our hand) and she gave us what she called the 'Director Seats'. These were amazing seats.

So I guess it would depend on what is available. Maybe some shows keep a few good seats in case some VIP's show up? And if no one does by close to show time they release them?

Also, would she have given them to us without the potential tip visible...I kinda think she might have anyway.

10. Mitkraft

Mitkraft High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I tried this at peepshow last month. I was on a high from having gotten an Augustus tower room (booked forum) with the $20 trick. I tried to hand a $5 (ok maybe not enough?) to the usher and he said something like "I'm sorry I have to sit you in your asigned seat" and gave it back to me. Oh well, was worth a try.

11. DonD

DonD Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Silver Slipper, long time ago.

Show was Kenny Kerr.

This was way before assigned seating.

I walked up to the maƮtre d' and said, "where will $20 get the four of us seated?"
    He answered, "for $20 I'll put you on the fkn stage!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.