1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Tipping : Cash or credit

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by JWBlue, Feb 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ncfatcat

ncfatcat Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've seen it mess up a sports bars cash flow. This place was in a good area and 95% of their business was credit card. The management paid out the waitresses and bartenders tips in cash at the end of the night but didn't receive the money from the CC transaction for 24-48 hours. Then it was less the transaction fees. On top of this the employer had to report the amount of CC tips on the staffs payroll report so most of the staff got 0 or negative paychecks and the payroll processing company would take employee withholding taxes out of the owners account when doing taxes leaving it to the owner to collect from the staff. What a mess. I told the guy he needed to hold credit card tips and pay them with regular payroll but he wouldn't. Guy went broke doing over a million a year in volume selling mostly booze.

2. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Where did you get this number?

Because if that's what places really charge their servers, it's complete rape.

Any decent volume card present transaction should be paying no more than 1.8% if not closer to 1.5%.

3. Brewfangrb

Brewfangrb Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, there's no way any Visa or Mastercard is charging 3.5% fees. Not even Amex is that high anymore.

It does suck if the employer is charging the fee out of the tip to the server, but frankly, I like to think I'm a decent to generous tipper but I'm not going to get bogged down in the manner in which they get tipped. We're in an electronic payments world now--and even a big part of Vegas (the gaming) is cash, the rest of it isn't. Aside from the large bills I carry for gaming, I don't carry a lot of other cash. It's goes on the card (or with the charge to the room).

4. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah nowadays it is more in the area of 2-2.5% that they charge. That 3.5% I said was from waaaaaaay back in the 1990s when I had a retail store.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.