1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Tipping Advice

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by amk121, Sep 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amk121

amk121 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So there is a place I like to go to about once a week. For their happy hour, they charge $5 drinks, and I always get two drinks, and they charge me for one, so I give a $10 tip. Occassionally, they want to give me another drink that they want me to try in the past, and this past time they gave me a dessert, just like that. So I would give them an extra couple of dollars on top of the tip when they do that. ... Is that the right thing to do? These guys are really nice, so I don't want under tip them when they do something nice like that, and it is a place I do go to once a week, so even if my budget is crappy lol that I do the right thing. What do you guys usually do and what usually is the protocol when they want to give a little something extra nice like that? Thanks all!!

2. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think you're handing things just right... certainly about how I'd do it. I enjoy being treated well and treating those who make that happen well. I don't go overboard, but I don't peel off a dollar like I'm never gonna see another one!

3. merlin

merlin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You guys sure do pay alot for drinks, where I go happy hour prices are $2 - $3, regular maybe $4. If the bartender gives me a free drink I generally tip 1/2 to 2/3's the drink price plus the usual tip. That must be enough cause they keep coming.

4. ajp

ajp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    At my local bar happy hour is all drinks $1.50. Yes a Crown and Coke would be $1.50

5. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tipping for drinks should be different than tipping for food. I generally tip a couple of dollars per drink. I don't go by the price of the drink. Pouring a $100 glass of Scotch isn't any more difficult than pouring a $15 glass of Scotch. If you give a $10 tip for two $5 drinks, that's a 100 percent tip.

6. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I only tip $1 for each beer and $2-3 for each mixed drink. Wine/Champagne is 10% of the bottle charge.

7. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If they're giving you free drinks and dessert, they are either happy with your tipping or they think you are sexy beast. Sometimes bartenders will get into a tip scamming scenario. They will give you free stuff and pocket the tips. This sort of takes money out of the cash register and puts it in their pocket. It's hustling. A little hustling is ok with me. Too much and and I feel complicit is something immoral. I think you're tipping fine.

8. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In general, anything comped should be tipped at full value - as if you are looking at it being on the bill. So, in the above scenario, you'd tip on the bought drinks + the free drinks + the dessert.

Similarly, 2 for 1 specials (like Happy Hour) should be tipped as if you're paying full price for the 2 drinks.

Bill

9. topcard

topcard Older than the Stardust!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a basic, easy 'rule' that I follow at any bar - assuming the bartender is pleasant & attentive, it will be 25-30% ~or~ $1 per-delivery, whichever is lower.

I've had conversations with different bartenders in several cities, and 100% of them have told me that this is a good & generous rule to follow.
    It also takes care of the the periodic $15 scotch 'problem'.

Finally have the room booked! Look for me Feb 21-23
  10. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I never buy a bottle of wine much more than $100, but if someone bought a $500 bottle of wine with $100 of food, do people tip based on the total amount of the bill. For 20 percent it would be $120 which is more than the food portion. Most of the time I bring my own bottle of wine and pay corkage. But when I do order that $100 bottle of wine, I do tip around 20 percent including the cost of the wine. Of course give or take depending on service.

11. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They are giving you these extras and freebies because you tip so well, so you will want to keep it up if you want to keep getting them.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.