1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Time share sales

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by azplayer, Jun 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. azplayer

azplayer Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm always curious about the people hawking free show tickets if you go on a sales presentation. We did one about ten, or so, years ago and boy what a wasted day that was! Took a bus out into the desert somewhere and looked at a future developement. All in all it was over four hours but we did receive two free tickets to Legends in Concert, about a $80 value. I know there are a lot of time shares in Vegas and I would be willing to visit one ot two as long as it didn't take half a day!

Anybody have advice/ experience?

Thanks

2. Someone

Someone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    you answered it for yourself

3. azplayer

azplayer Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Someone,
    The difference is, now I might be interested for the right deal!

4. Someone

Someone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    there is another thread on this forum that is very recent that discusses time shares

pretty much the consensus of time share owners in that thread is that you are much better off buying one outside of the normal high pressure sales channels and instead look to find someone that is unloading theirs for whatever reason

of course this requires more "homework" on your part, but you will generally get substantial savings over the pressure sales pitches

5. azplayer

azplayer Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Someone. Kind of got off the topic I was interested in and that is --what are these people offering to visit their property. I just didn't make it clear what I was lookin for, sorry.

The secondary market is the only way to go and if, and when, we decide to buy that's where we will look. It doesn't hurt to look at what is being offered now, like buying a car, used can be a lot cheaper and better.

6. Someone

Someone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    well that goes back to what I/you said before.....what a wasted day

the scam now is asking you for $20 dollars to "hold your spot" so they know you will show up for the presentation and then of course take you way away to nowhere and hold you for much longer than stated and then give you some show tickets that you could have bought on your own without the wasted time

it is the same as it ever was only with the added request for some money from you to "hold your place" since the spots are so "limited and valuable"

7. DeMoN2318

DeMoN2318 The DERS

Trips to Las Vegas:
    4 hours for 2 people for an $80 value...$10 per hour...my time is worth more than that

8. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Factor in the actual street value of those particular tickets ...

9. Snotick

Snotick Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I understand what you are asking. You want to know if anyone has done a tour recently and what did they receive as compensation. Even if it takes 4 hours out of your trip, you may be willing to make the trade. Your not looking to buy a timeshare. Not unreasonable for you to want to make the decision for yourself. After all you mentioned it was 10 years ago. As if nothing changed in Vegas in the last decade.

I get hit up a couple times per trip since I stay at Jockey Club, I have to walk past them 5 times a day. They've made mention that I could get $250 cash, but I've never took them up on it to see if it's true. If I was ever going to do one, I would make sure the "gift" is spelled out before I begin a tour. (no bait and switch)

Usually it gets to the point that I tell them I already own two weeks and bought them second hand. They still don't care, the guys on the street get paid for putting people in the seats.

A lot of people on this forum have a closed mind to timeshares. They can't understand your question, because everything about timeshares is wrong for them. They also can't help themselves from answering your question with completely irrelevant info.

Strangely, someone will sit at the blackjack table or the slot machines for more than 4 hours, and put their money at risk to earn points for show tickets or free meals. As long as you don't buy one, the timeshare tour seems like the only sure thing in Vegas.

10. Darreningreenwood

Darreningreenwood Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's crossed my mind to go on one just to get the tickets. I mean, two tickets to a "premium" show, and all I have to do is listen to a sales spiel? Sign me up!

Then I thought about it, and have to agree with the others on here that when you consider cost per hour, things I'd rather be doing, etc...it just isn't worth it. Especially since you can get tickets to just about anything at well below face value. Tix4tonight, coupons, two for ones....I'll pay take a bit of time to figure out how to get the tickets cheap, and spend $50 on that.

Because you can spend that four hours at the blackjack table winning that money to pay for the tickets. That's how it works, right? :wink

11. azplayer

azplayer Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Snotic, you hit the nail on the head, thanks!

As far as spending time better, who is to say? Sure I come to Vegas to gamble but I can't do that 24 hours a day. Even if we could who says they will always win enough to cover ticket costs? Or even play enough to get them comped. If i do decide to go on one of these presentations I'll be sure to give a detailed trip report!

12. matguy

matguy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    From what I remember, they have to keep the presentation to under 90 minutes, or, at least, you have to be able to leave with your promised "gift" after 90 minutes. Doesn't mean they have to be nice to you as it approaches 90 minutes, but they have to let you leave and give you what you were promised.

Now, you can also barter with the people enticing you to go. That said, I wouldn't go to ones that you have to be bused out for. They have to let you leave after 90 minutes, but that doesn't mean they have to let you back on the bus after 90 minutes, so you could easily be there for another 1/2 hour or more as you wait for the rest of your group to finish up. Since you could get a taxi or something back, they're not required to get you on the bus all that fast, but I do think they have to leave you alone after that 90 minutes.

I've gotten $100 Visa Gift Cards out of it, $50 gift certificates to restaurants that I wanted to go to anyway, tickets to decent shows (Cirq), etc. Now, the show tickets were slightly annoying, you had to show up within a certain window of time before the show to get your tickets, I want to say within 2 hours before the show, but before an hour before the show, I don't remember the details, but we ended up not going (I'm pretty sure that's when we got the $50 Harley Cafe cert and something else.)

The best I got, though, was something I still had to pay for even though we went to the presentation. The Marriott Grand Chateau had a booth at an event local to me and we purchased a package with 3 nights in a suite (which is the 1 bedroom villa in TimeShare speak) for $150, which we were able to use on Memorial Day Weekend, so it wasn't chock full of black-out dates or anything. Also included in the package was the aforementioned $100 Visa Gift Card that we got after the presentation.

Now, like all presentations, once they figure out that you're really not buying, they do get snippy and quite possibly down right rude. But, you'll get your stuff. At the same time, don't get too rude with them, if you escalate I think they can kick you out without the stuff. So no swearing or yelling.

Like others have said, I would not buy directly from them. I would certainly use the tour as a preview of the property, though. If you're feeling particularly saucy, bring in the best external deal you can find on the property and see if they'll match it. I'm sure they won't, but they might call it quits early and let you out with your stuff before the 90 minutes is up, because...

Remember, their goal is not to sell you a timeshare. Their goal is to get you to finance a timeshare. A lot of what they make on the timeshare is through the financing, for multiple reasons. One, fees and interest, baby! Two, and this is the bigger one, a defaulted timeshare is still a debt they can (try to) collect on and something they can re-sell at the same time. Since it's not a tangible object that needs to be repossessed, they have little to zero risk in the prospect of a default. They will actively try to dissuade you from paying cash for it. Once you've paid for it, they can't repossess it and re-sell it.

13. ken2v

I had no idea this thread was a plebiscite on the matter of a timeshare purchase. I know I don't give a flying fig if someone buys a timeshare or another hates 'em. I thought it was a matter of time/dollars/results and whether burning x hours makes sense to get y value in tickets or promos.

Elton John tickets is one thing. Mac King -- and nothing against Mac, of course -- is another.

14. Snotick

Snotick Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You are partially correct. But you failed to either read, understand, or comprehend what the OP was asking.

He didn't want to know what your opinion of X dollars for Y value is. He didn't want to know if anyone else wants to buy a timeshare. He just wanted to know what X you have been offered to take the tour. If you never get to the point of discussing an offer, or taking the tour, then their is no reason to post at all.

From there, he can make his own opinion on value of time vs X.

15. ken2v

Hmmm ...

16. Snotick

Snotick Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So, out of his original post, all you saw was the word "advice" and started typing your opinion.

Here he explains his thoughts a little more. But, let's ignore what he wants.

He explains again, in pretty clear English, what he is asking. And he apologizes for any mistake.

He's now getting the answers he wants. Let's keep building on this.

17. matguy

matguy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think all but the last paragraph of what I posted was either about what you can get out of a presentation (in both information and/or freebies), what to expect from a presentation (time, attitude, etc), or information for the survival of the presentation, whether you're buying or not.

Sure, the last paragraph is more about the buying angle, though that was mentioned later.

Sure, I can be a bit wordy, but I think most of my post is pretty much relevant to the OP's various questions and comments through the thread, even if I didn't quite notice that he, himself, admitted that he steered the thread away from some of his original topic.

18. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Four hours at a timeshare will save me around $800 - vs gambling.

Just sayin.

As to buying a timeshare - there are enough other threads beating this to death.

19. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would think its a very soft market for timeshare and don't see why you couldn't see what they offer then haggle with them and have them throw in a few extra tickets to a show or a meal.

20. Snotick

Snotick Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    matguy, I found your post to be informative and on point.

I think they would choose to pass on the savvy negotiator and wait for a sucker. Lots of people walking the strip.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.