1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

thunderstorms bring good fortune.

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by firstkill, Aug 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. firstkill

firstkill High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

I am lucky enough to live in LA, so a "day trip" is often a last minute decision.

Wake up on Sunday, stroll into work and bump into my coworker john. Some how we always end up talking about gambling and vegas. As we are joking around my friend calls out my bluff about driving up to vegas.

So we sneak out of work one by one to not draw attention. We then do our first mistake. We lie to our wives (as they are against gambling)

Jump in the car 280 mile trip, and after a few hundred miles I get an alert on my phone "flash flood warning"

So being from Los Angeles we are not use to rain. It starts pouring down, lightening all around us. We are both scared for our lives but we endure and make it into vegas. Rain stops.

We valet at Cosmo, I usually hate it as I am paranoid of people driving my car. I had to pee so bad I had no choice as I needed to drop the car off ASAP.

Best part of the trip was making it to the bathroom haha.

Head over to start our black jack marathon. 6 hours later we both leave winners.

Some notable hands, both good and bad.
    split 7s, get a 4. double (I do face down for my excitement)
    next card is a 3, double. Dealer has a 4 showing. Dealer does not bust, and draws to 17. I blank on both double, the 11 netted an ACE, the 10 had a 4.

Split 2 against a dealer 6. One hand was a 9 and the other a 10. Face down double. Someone doubles on a soft 18, 3rd base did stays on a 12. Dealer has 16, draws a 5.

I think its the correct play to double a soft 18 against a 6? didn't work out for the table as he "took" the bust card.

Aces, split, another ace. unfortunate I did not get 3 face cards. I got 1 face card and the other was a 2 and 5. Dealer has a 6 up again. I am feeling that I have a chance. Dealer has a soft 17. DOHHH stay on 17 table. Lose 2 win 1.

Luckly we both hit a hot streak at the same time. Press at the correct time. We left winners.

All my doubles on 8 and 9 against dealer 5 and 6 won. Most of my doubles on 11 and tens always lost.

After talking to our host, we were rated under the minimum bet limit? Not sure how that happened. We tried to go back to the pit crew but it was the 2nd shift change and the main guy went on break. They didn't help us out at all.

Got the steak nad eggs at the Henry café, and drove home. Braved the rain and thunder / lightening show. We rarely get this in los angeles so as scary as it was, it was also a treat to see.

fk

2. Tbone3336

Tbone3336 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the report and congrats on a winning trip! I sometimes wish I lived close to Vegas as I am 45 min drive from A/C which does not have nearly the appeal for me that Vegas does, then I imagine all the spur of the moment dashes I would make as you did, and envision the hell I would get from the wife. Would be better than the 5 1/2 flight needed now, but that helps keep me in control I guess :)

Again thanks for the report, and I can imagine you had a good view of the thunder storms on the ride up and back as described, so that would have made me pull over to get some photos if the drive is as open as I am imagining the landscape is between Vegas and LA? I know you cross mountains but I assume there are flat open range portions that would allow nice picture of a storm in the distance.

3. synthpop101

synthpop101 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Were you playing in the high limit room? Not the Talon Club, but the regular HL pit? I only ask because my last trip they constantly under rated me. One session I started out betting table min at one spot. After three hands I switched to two spots where I remained playing for the next 45 MIN. After I loss my ass, I asked what my rating was, she said 1.25 the minimum. I started to argue with her but I could tell there was no winning that one.

At the end of the trip, I asked the on duty host if the could pick up an $80 dinner charge, she said no problem. Checked my credit card and I was charged. Called last week and still no resolution.

4. firstkill

firstkill High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tbone35

yes there are flat areas of desert, problem is with pictures is that is raining HARD. It was 80 degrees in LA, so I was in a shirt and shorts,, closer I got to vegas the more it was raining. I was not prepared for the weather at all!

synthpop

you are correct. I was in the high limit room (not the talon club)
    table min was 200. Some how I got rated for 170. I did not move tables for the whole trip!

for "comping" make sure the host comes down to meet you and watch them give the restaurant a "comp code" or player ID. I am not sure if my meal was acutally comps of he stole the price from my identity points.

fk

5. firstkill

firstkill High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    on a side note, when you get paid from the cage at Cosmo at the 5k increments, its banded and labled as 5k. They don't actually count it out for you.

I did not count it either, dumb of me. Reminds me when my friends in high school would turn in a roll of quarters 50cents short.

fk

6. BacKing

BacKing Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes they do not count the ones that are banded, 5K or 10K. You're right though, I have yet to count them infront of them, but haven't had a problem yet.

7. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    yeah I've never had a problem either with strapped bricks being short. of course when I give them a strapped brick, they rip it open and count it, so what does that tell you?

8. firstkill

firstkill High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ive never had a problem either, but I wouldn't be surprised one day im short 200 bux from a 5k brick haha.

fk

9. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am still waiting to hear what happened when you go home.
    Did you have to share your winning to keep the ladies quiet??:wink2:

10. firstkill

firstkill High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Terrible.

Apparently one of my wifes friends was there and "saw" me. I got ratted out and blind sided Monday morning.

Got caught red handed. No amount of money could have saved me here.

In the doghouse till next planned trip in October.

fk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.