1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Thoughts on Frontier Airlines

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Matty Ice, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Matty Ice

Matty Ice Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Heading out to Vegas this Friday with my wife for 4 nights. We were initially booked on Southwest for $129 one-way from CMH (Columbus) to LAS. Last week I was alerted to a Frontier Airlines special for $19.10 for a one-way non-stop flight from CMH. I cancelled the SW flights and booked the Frontier flights. I wanted to see if there were any personal experiences flying with Frontier. I have flown Spirit before, and I know what to expect as far as fees. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

2. roju5

roju5 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I live in Columbus and usually fly southwest as well. Flew out last time on Frontier and the plane left 4 hrs late due to hailstorm in Vegas. The flight itself was fine, not sure if it would have left on time if there was no storm.

3. TableToddyy

TableToddyy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Flown them a couple times from CLE to LAS. The return flight home always delayed 2 hours or more. The earlier your flight the better. Counter help a little slow sometimes. Wish they had a skycab.
    But book them again for Oct. still cheaper with fees.

4. DozerTheBulldog

DozerTheBulldog Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Flown Frontier myself several times - you get what you pay for, its pretty cramped and I am a 5'7" - but never really had an issue with the flights itself. From a previous trip report:

On the plane...1st time on frontier in years, literally a plastic lawn chair with some padding. The tray is just wide enough to hold my paperback...a laptop would have to sit.....well on my lap. I wonder if they'll request the tray tables to go up...friggin hilarious. Glad it was only $59 including bag fees for the flight.

[​IMG]

5. bluesdude

bluesdude Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Jeez, I was thinking about trying Frontier but after I read your observations, I think not. I am 6'2" and I dont think I would be comfortable in a padded lawn chair for 3.5 hours.

6. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Frontier stranded me twice in Denver en route from MSP to LAS. Granted, both of those trips were during the early spring, however, I didn't appreciate their deception by purposely exclaiming I'll "absolutely" make my connection.

7. VeddaLasVegas

VeddaLasVegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We flew Frontier in December and didn't have a problem. We flew round trip out of Orlando on nonstop flights. We are flying out of Tampa next month. They now have nonstop flights to Vegas. Even after paying the seat selection fee and checked bag fee our flights are still cheaper than any other airline. Our flight arrived early from Orlando and an on time return. I am dreading the red eye back to Tampa.

8. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've flown Frontier many times but not lately, mainly due to them cutting back service out of OMA, or more like not having service when I need it. :)

I don't remember any major issues. My major gripe with them was (same with Untied, Delta, American in this market) the big-plane-little-plane roulette. If you need to connect at DEN in one of those toy planes, usually you will be at a gate with no jetway, where they roll up the stairs and you walk through the cold or the rain!

9. srudude87

srudude87 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tried them for first time in July since Spirit is getting stingy on their prices. Since I've flown Spirit many times I know how to get around the fees. No complaints. Picked a seat in the back row and had row to myself. Coming back I had window seat. I'm 6'3" but I survived. I guess for $40 rt nonstop from Pittsburgh I'll survive. People complain about them but I guess they really need to be pampered.

10. bjpcyclone

bjpcyclone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hadn't flown them in 5-6 years but was in the KC area and tried to fly KC to Chicago for our annual trip to Wrigley in late July. Wednesday flight out was cancelled and they rescheduled us for the next available flight. Which was Sunday (when we were supposed to come home). Worst experience we've ever had with an airline, and that includes a recently cancelled Allegiant flight. Frontier makes you call in and request a refund yourself (and likely spend an hour on hold). We did that but they didn't cancel our return flight so when we got a text that our return flight (which we weren't taking obviously) was delayed 2 hours *shocking*, we called and had to fight for a refund because they screwed up the first time we called. Never again.

So I'm sure its fine if you actually can make it to your destination but if not, it's a nightmare.

11. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I usually fly Southwest but flew Frontier one way to Vegas last week. It was ok. The tray table was barely larger than my phone (really). I have no complaints on the flight. Their "Den Deals" can be really really cheap. Even when adding in a bag. The problem is they don't have a ton of planes/flights. If your flight is delayed or canceled you can be screwed. Many cities they service they don't have daily flights, so if they cancel a flight you may not be able to fly out for a couple of days.

12. God-Speed

God-Speed Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We just used them for the first time on our last trip coming back to Austin last week. As mentioned above , "you get what you pay for" is accurate. However for $50 we would do it again, I don't know the flight time from Columbus but to Austin it is just a little over 2 1/2 hour flight. So for my wife and I it wasn't too bad.

13. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Flew Frontier to St. Louis and Chicago from Trenton, uneventful and cheap. I didn't notice the small tray table, I use an iPad. Frontier is increasing service out of Philly (which will probably kill the flights out of tiny Trenton airport) and has frequent deals.

My only beef is that they offer "point to point" service, so if I wanted to fly to the West coast, I would have to book two tickets, Philly to Denver and from Denver to LAS.

Frontier is similar to Spirit in that they have a membership program with an annual fee to save on some flights, there is a charge for luggage, but I thought the seats were better than Spirit. I was contemplating a trip to Cincinnati, the ticket was $20 on one leg and $29 on the return, plus luggage.

14. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Their membership program is "Den Deals" and it's $49 a year. It's not the same as their frequent flier program. For example my one way flight to Vegas was listed at $89 or $69 if you are in the Den club. For kicks I looked around at other fares for other cities and the difference was always at least $20 and sometimes a lot more. If you plan to fly Frontier more than a couple of times a year it's worth it to pay that $49 fee.

15. deadeyefive

deadeyefive Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No different than the other airlines. As long as you dont get weather or maintenance issues, its uneventful. Planes are newer as well.

16. vegasbound

vegasbound Moderator

I used to not like Frontier, but this year has converted me (unreal deals and expanded cities and schedules). My only complaint is they are still not part of TSA Pre check. I just flew Frontier this morning from CVG-LAS. The fare was $150 less the lowest price from any other airline. I have two more trips upcoming LAS to SFO $19 and AUS $25. It's no frills, but no one can touch their prices (even without dens deals, if dates are flexible). Schedules can be improved upon, and convenience of flights varies from cities, but if you do some homework in advance it can be very worthwhile - know what flights run, schedules, etc. I often travel for long weekends and even on long international trips I pack light so I can get by with 4 days for two in one backpack. So, I don't pay for a bag unless I'm traveling to a cold destination that requires bundling up. Majority of the time, I'm willing to gamble with my seat so I don't pay for that either. There are occasions like Friday, I forked over $16 because I could see it was a full flight, it was 4+ hours and I hoped to sleep since it was a red-eye. I like that I can customize based on my needs. The seats are more comfortable in the front of the plane, with larger trays and more leg room. It is pretty tight in the back and you get the dinky tray table. I personally love that the seats don't recline in the "cheap seats" it's never something I found relaxing anyway and I inevitably get someone reclining into my lap leaving me squished the whole way. It's not the perfect solution for every flight, but I'm certainly glad Frontier's an option. I'm happy to fly them - I don't do connecting flights in the US so that's a non-issue for me. Delays I've experienced have been weather related and affected all airlines.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Hyperfocal

Hyperfocal High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As long as the flight isn't too long, the seats are fine. They are pretty hard and don't recline, but aren't terrible.

One thing I do like is that they have drink specials, was able to order a couple bottles of Jack at a discount, although the odd thing was the option to tip the flight attendants in their card scanner tablet. Um, no.

Other than that, the flights get you where you want to go. I just can't take their return flight to Milwaukee since it lands at 4am. My supervisor did a Vegas trip on Frontier and she fell asleep at her desk about noon the day she came back. (Had to Snapchat that. :p)

18. VinVegas

VinVegas Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i flew on frontier a few years ago, Missouri to Denver. Flight was on time and the plane was not to bad. They kept referencing some silly animal painted on the plane though. I also got charged $3 for orange juice (I didn't realize you had to pay):mad:. Overall would fly again if necessary.

19. absinthe

absinthe Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm expecting a similar experience to Spirit, i.e. anything beyond the ticket has a fee. I'm departing on Southwest (paid with RR points) and returning on Frontier (paid with credit card points). I noticed that if you pay in advance the fee for a checked bag is less than a carry on. I might add a checked bag being that I would only pay the fee one way, other than that I'm flying solo so I don't care for any other extras.

20. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah it's $5 cheaper to check a bag than to carry on. So there was plenty of room in the bins on my Frontier flight last week for those who did carry on. I didn't order any drinks or snacks, I believe it was $1.99 for a coke. Credit cards only to purchase anything.