1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Those who "want" to move to Vegas but dont, why?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by vgslvr, Feb 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vgslvr

vgslvr Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Too young?
    Too old?
    Motivation present but Action absent?
    Job?
    Family?
    Scared of losing what u currently have?
    Scared u might not like it, once there?
    ---
    :nono:Don't say Heat, Real Estate, School System etc, bcoz then u don't "want" to move to Vegas and this question is not for u (They are valid reasons but not for this question)

2. Jordan

Jordan Caveman

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think a big factor would be loosing the excitement of "Going to Vegas"!!!

3. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

We once thought we "wanted" to move to Vegas … turns out we didn't.

We chased this rather seriously 8-10 years back. But ultimately decided Vegas was not a place we wanted to live. Weather, grime, the social fabric, traffic and crowds, economy … things with which we really didn't have to contend as vacationers that would be there every day if in residence.

4. Wolfman619

Wolfman619 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I fully intended on moving to Vegas upon my transition out of the military in early 2011. I had looked at a few houses, and even had a few local friends I had made during the height of my travels. It came down to 3 things:

1) Main Reason: Job market in Vegas at the time sucked.

2) Things were heating up with my long term on-off-again GF who lived in Iowa, to the point where she was considering moving to San Diego right at the time when I was processing out of the military. She eventually moved in with me in SD, we found work, bought a house together and got married in Vegas in 2012.

3) Is Disneyland still Disneyland if you live there? I've known alot of people who have moved there, and were downright sick of it within a year. Everyone (except for one) of the locals I had befriended have relocated elsewhere. It seems to me that Vegas has a very high "turnover rate", and its not surprising given the times that we live in. That town was one of the hardest hit by the recession.

5. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thought about it at one point, had a couple of friends who lived there but decided not to. They don't live there anymore. GREAT place to visit....

6. Thor

Thor Beer Drinker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    my wife and i have thought about it numerous times, but we have kids (don't want to raise them there) and we both teach...haven't heard anything good about the educational system

:beer::beer::beer:

7. Jbatc18

Jbatc18 Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Would hate to lose the "mystique" of vegas. It my favorite place in the world, and I would hate to move there and have that change my mind about Las Vegas.

8. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah I think age would be a big factor. My friends had 2 kids, said the education system was horrible. That was about 15 years ago. The population explosion Vegas had would cause growing pains anywhere of course.

9. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The weather would be the breaking point for me. i live in san diego and am major spoiled by the weather. moving to someplace with such extremes would be tough to do.

i like the heat but not so sure about it everyday. then the cold wind in winter. man that sucks.

10. vgslvr

vgslvr Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    :nono:NOT BUYING IT..:nono:

1. Move to Henderson County, NV
    2. Stay away from Strip for 30 days
    3. After 30 days, book a hotel on Strip and a Limo
    4. Take a Cab to the airport
    5. Limo in to the Strip and party all weekend:beer:
    6. Get back to Henderson County, NV
    7. Step 2

Enjoy the infinite loop..No airfare, delays, no state tax :evillaugh

11. ken2v

Spoken like a true coastal Californian.

And truthful, too.

Joe, how's that weather back there in WI?????

12. Funkhouser

Funkhouser In Charge of the Big Door

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love the SD weather but the cost of living would be an issue for me.

I keep contemplating a move based on following:

I have a job that let's me live and work anywhere in the US
    I hate snow and extreme cold
    No state income tax in NV, so I get a pay raise just for moving.
    Depressed housing market means deals are to be found
    Major airport so you can fly almost anywhere easily
    No kids to worry about school system
    Lots of activities being a vacation destination

On the negative side
    Air quality, but still better than where I live
    Crime
    Employment outlook ( if I had to change jobs)
    Extreme heat
    Dependency on tourism to local economy.
    Living in LV may change dynamic of appeal

With retirement at 12 to 15 years out for me, its still at top of list to retire to.

13. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Crap Ken, we're having a heat wave! 50 degrees today!:thumbsup: First time in about 2 months any of the white stuff is melting. Rain tomorrow, then sleet, then snow and then it gets cold again. What could be better than that variety!

I read a very long article today about the drought and water woes in the west, especially NV, CA & AZ. See, this is part of my new positive attitude about WI and the frozen tundra.:thumbsup: Until next week.:poke:

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  14. Ashton7

Ashton7 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For us, it would be the high cost of moving. We have a house that we've lived in for 30 years. We have lots of furniture and "stuff." The last time I moved (from my home state of Texas), my employer not only paid for the move but they paid to have everything boxed up on one end and unboxed on the other! They had both of my cars shipped to me. They paid all incidental expenses for me and my mom (who I was supporting at the time) related to the move.

It would be a major undertaking to get our house updated/renovated for sale and then pay for a move. I'd love to move somewhere out west, though. Texas or New Mexico or even Nevada. I've never liked Florida, for the most part (do enjoy our pool), and would love to be somewhere closer to drive to Vegas! My SO could probably get a job in Vegas with the same company they've worked for, for almost 20 years but I doubt their employer would pay to move us ...

15. ken2v

Joe, that drought thing is very real. And in true American fashion we'll bluster and fluster about it, then in a few years when Wyoming and Colorado and Utah fill up with snow, as the Sierra gets blanketed, we'll just totally forget the reality of water in the west.

16. undathesea

undathesea Grandissimo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Water shortage and declining property values are two great reasons not to move to Vegas.

17. Tammy58

Tammy58 Frugal Slot Jockey

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We still say we are going to when the dh retires....8 years to go unless a windfall comes. At his age he knows he can't get a job in the LV area making what he currently does. We may actually visit one of the 55+ communities in April. It's snowing here, again....I've had enough. Since we will be retirees schools won't matter to us. I just want to live where I never see/shovel snow ever again. I have froze here in Mass my entire life. Living somewhere that I am not freezing most of the year appeals to me. So Cal would be great, just too expensive.

18. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just a bit of food for thought...The Clark County school district is the 5th largest in the country, at least it was when we lived there 4 years ago.

They have a high school graduation rate of ~60%. In an area with 10%+ unemployment, what do the 40%, w/o a high school degree do to make money?

We were retired when we lived there, so we also started out with the attitude, oh it doesn't matter to us. But in the long run it does matter in the quality of life and safety for the people living there.

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  19. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree. Talk to the people in Orlando Florida about Disney and they would be happy if Disney left the state.

The other issue is our skins can't handle the 4 days there. Couldn't imagine living there.

20. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We plan on moving out there in 8 years when my youngest graduates. I don't see it as a relocation though, more as an extended vacation. I will keep my house in Ohio and just rent a condo. I see it as a fun place to live for two or three years and then move on.

I should add the reason we don't do it now is because of my kids and the school district. The district we live in now ranked 9th on FORBES magazines best schools in the midwest list last year. That is the sole reason we live here. I sold my dream house on the lake and moved here so the kids could benefit from the education. The taxes I pay here are a small fortune, but hopefully it pays off someday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.