1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Those in So Cal who drive to Vegas.

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by stlrocker, Dec 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stlrocker

stlrocker Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Got a question for all who drive to Vegas. Being in So Cal for so long, I've always driven to Vegas. Typically we'll leave in the evening during a week night and arrive between two and three in the morning and that always works out great. I've driven back on a Sunday ONE time and never will again. For the first time (I believe) driving in on a Friday, DA Da da DUMMMMM! If I leave Riverside around noonish, will I be okay? Thanks in advance. \,,/ \,,/ :beer:

2. reverted

reverted Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've done this drive many times on a Friday. You should be fine if you leave Riverside at noon. Hell, I used to leave DTLA around noon and still be ok on a Friday. You're just pushing it/asking for it once 3/4pm comes rolling around, esp if you are leaving from LA.

3. benbrownjr

benbrownjr Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have driven through and the traffic does move but there are just more cars. Unlike your typical driving you will find yourself hitting the brakes in certain parts (in Victorville, going up the grade past Baker). One little trick I learned is if there is an accident past Primm I get off there and road behind Buffalo Bills is actually Las Vegas Blvd and will take it to Jean and if the traffic is still backed up I take it all the way to the M resort

4. CindyS

CindyS Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I drive to Vegas. I can drive in the same time it takes to fly from BUR or LAX and then I have my car and my own schedule. Never had a problem going on a Friday, but coming home on a Sunday can be difficult. If I have to work on Monday, I leave Vegas later on Sunday, say 8:00 pm. All clear and home before midnight. I like the go around Primm idea, thanks benbrownjr

5. MojaveJoe

MojaveJoe Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Should be fine. We mainly do Sunday-Thursday trips cause Friday/Sunday drives are brutal.

Side note. I was driving solo to Vegas on the Friday this past July when that fire swept over 15. I was coming in from 58 to the 15 when it happened. It was crazy to see from afar. Can't imagine what it was like up close.

6. firstkill

firstkill High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    before 1pm on Friday is usually safe.
    They have been doing some construction on and off going 15N and 15S between Fontana and Hesperia, so its just random at times.
    I did the drive 2 weeks ago.

From riverside, id consider bypassing that junction, 215 to 15, not sure if that's way out of the way or not.

7. ardee

ardee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Coming home on a Sunday is a breeze if you'll just drag your sorry ass out of bed at a decent hour. Our standard drill is up by 8, in the car by 9. If you can get a jump on the Sunday traffic the trip is smooth sailing.

The best bet is to avoid weekends entirely, of course. But from Riverside, if you are at the base of the pass by 12:30, you'll likely be good.

8. SDSteve

SDSteve Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree with all of the above...

9. hedgehog

hedgehog Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What about all those NFL games to bet on?

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.