1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

The Yellowstone Crazies!

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by mdee, May 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For the record I'm not a Whale Loving Tree Hugger. But I have to ask... What is it about Yellowstone that makes people loose their minds? Or at least their Common Sense?

When I was there last year a woman was gored by a Bison for taking a selfie.

This past week a couple of Tourist thought a Baby Bison Calf looked "cold" so they put it in the back of their SUV and drove it to a Ranger Station. Idiots! They were fined a mere $110.00 but the Calf had to be Euthanized after being rejected by it's Mother and Herd for smelling like a human.

The reason it was put down was because they could not allow it to wander into Traffic while waiting to become Wolf Bait. I think the fine should be more like $10K!

Then a couple of guys decide to take a walk across one of the Hot Springs. They have been known to scald a Full grown Bison to death!

I get it... They are pretty awesome to look at and I have to admit that I got out of our vehicle and took pictures of them but I made sure not to get close. That's what a Zoom Lens is for. I also had a wall between me and the Bison.

So what is it about Yellowstone that makes people loose their minds? Any idea?

2. deansrobinson

deansrobinson Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's not just Yellowstone. It's 'merikan touristas in general. There was an interesting piece on NPR the other week about bears and humans in the
    Great Smoky Mountains National park.
    I live in Florida. I know crazy.
    I contend with lunacy with alarming regularity.
    Ever see a woman ride a sea turtle on the beach?
    Ever see a guy attempt to ride a manatee in the gulf?
    Ever see a guy get his hand bitten smack off because he was feeding a gator?
    That's life on the peninsula.

"This past week a couple of Tourist thought a Baby Bison Calf looked "cold" so they put it in the back of their SUV and drove it to a Ranger Station. Idiots! They were fined a mere $110.00 but the Calf had to be Euthanized after being rejected by it's Mother and Herd for smelling like a human."

I quit.

3. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep, we had a guy feeding marshmallows to the gators at the golf course.

Christmas Trip. Sam's Town & MSS
  4. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think an entire generation has been raised without hearing the words no, don't. Add a touch of narcissism, self absorption, blue ribbons for proper pooping, gold stars, trophies for participating, but most of all: no common sense or critical thinking.

5. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

People have been doing stupid shit since people were invented, so it's just not the Participation Ribbon Generation. National Park history is replete with idiotic acts since the inception of the park concept. Check out the Burns documentary or last month's edition of National Geographic Magazine for but two sources in the immediately available popular culture. People think wild spaces are amusement parks and those oddities and curiosities the work of happy Imagineers providing them with smiles and jollies. Even early park "stewards" pushed that concept.

Anyway, people are stupid.

Last edited: May 18, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  6. VegasSchemer

VegasSchemer Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not to suggest that we can't fill a few villages worth of idiots, but I heard that the couple in this most recent incident were foreigners.

7. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

I knew a twenty-something guy who stepped over
    the rail at Grand Canyon -- at the deepest straight drop - of
    all the photo op spots -- stood on a piece of rock by itself --
    what an ass !......an what for ?
    Today, I ask myself why I ever did that ?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was at Yellowstone last year, they make it very clear when you enter what you can and can't do, plus all of the signs throughout the park. But you can't fix stupid.

9. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Indeed, vv. That's one of the common threads throughout the histories and retrospectives on our national parks/places heritage, that we try to somehow encapsulate raw nature, keep it going and vibrant, and then inject city slickers right into the middle of it, and by god look out if Old Faithful is off by a couple minutes because someone is going to bitch to his or her Congressional rep. And then we "love" many of them to near death. At what point do access activists demand a tram down into the Grand Canyon so everyone can "experience" it "fully"? Or as we are seeing with mega-fauna reintroductions, critters don't just stop at the nice, squared-off, arbitrary park border; salmon DO actually want to get from the Pacific to the headwaters, as it turns out.

10. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Over-Fried Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Despite warnings of Hurricanes and Tsunamis in Hawaii, you always see "mentally challenged" individuals (aka dumbasses) head to the beach....with their surfboards even.

All us locals just laugh...and eagerly watch the show.

Going to Hawaii's 9th Island!!
    Going to Hawaii's 9th island!!
  11. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can see the people wanting to surf during bad weather. up to them if they want to die in the process. What kills me are the dopes and tourists that go out to the blowhole to take a look even though there are many signs that say to not go out to the blowhole and to watch out so you don't get swept away. Then some of them get caught and swept out to sea and die but there are still idiots who don't follow signs and get caught. There are other people who hike to dangerous restricted areas in Hawaii just to see the view or experience the hike (they read about it in the nature guides or other sites) and then get injured and expect the government to rescue them. Sometimes I wish the government would fine people who need to get rescued in restricted areas. But then you gotta blame the internet sites that allow people to allow postings of these restricted areas. Gives more fodder for morons to also go to these areas and get injured.

12. phantomfj

phantomfj Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just like the morons who ski in the out of bounds area, then fall off a cliff..................

13. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Back when I was about 10 or so we took a driving trip out west and went as far as Yellowstone.

Back then the bears would come up to your car and we would feed them out of the window! They would eat right out of your hand! I know there were "do not feed the bears" signs but everyone was doing it. The bears knew they should just open their mouths and lean up on the car and the stupid humans would put something good to eat (fingers?) in them!

Also back then there was this beautiful blue stone pool full of clear very hot water. There were no fences or rails or anything. I was afraid somebody would fall in and get boiled like a lobster!

I have not been back since but I suspect now they no longer put up with feeding bears out your car window and such.

14. Geogran

Geogran OTD Tea Sipper

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have taken several family vacations to the Great Smoky NP where there is an abundance of bears and deer roaming the meadows and everywhere else. Signs everywhere cautioning visitors about keeping your distance from the bears, etc.
    Sure enough we see a small crowd gathering near a fenced area next to a road and immediately spot a mama bear and her cub ambling along the tree line headed toward the fence maybe a 100 yards away (we stay in the car). A lady with a toddler continues to walk closer and closer to the bear, people start yelling, stay away, stay away. Nope she continues on her march toward that bear. Mama bear, feeling threatened, breaks away from her cub, starts bearing down on the lady and the toddler. The lady grabs her toddler and starts running back towards the car - she is not going to win that race. By the grace of God, two park rangers appear and somehow drive the bear back towards her cub, one of the rangers had his rifle drawn ready to shoot the bear with a sedative or whatever they use to sedate them; thank goodness it wasn't needed. That was one lucky lady and toddler.

They are called wild animals for a reason.

15. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, I heard part of it. Reminded me of the bears in Yellowstone. A bear can easily learn to associate humans with getting a yummy treat. (Pick-a-nick basket, eh Boo-Boo.) :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. deansrobinson

deansrobinson Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's the nut. Bears can go from (a) fear of humans - ideal to (b) tolerant of humans - risky to (c) acclimated to humans - uber dangerous to both the bear (which can be shot) and humans (who can be killed by the bear). They mentioned people actually TRYING TO TAKE A SELFIE with a bear.

As outlined above...stupid is irreparable.

17. Suekel

Suekel VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There was an article recently about all the various ways people have died because they just had to get a selfie. Falling off cliffs, mauled by bears, hit by cars standing in the middle of the damn road, you name it. Not to mention the idiots trying to take pictures of themselves as they are driving, and they end up killing someone else.

Vegas Just Because...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.