1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

"The Wrecking Crew" DVD is out. Netflix has it.

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by DaiLun, Jul 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you like music of the 50's 60's 70's and 80's, or are interested in music history, I think that this is well worth the 3 hours to watch (2 hours plus an hour or so for all the deleted scenes and associated material).

Borrowing from Rotten Tomatoes:

"What the Funk Brothers did for Motown...The Wrecking Crew did, only bigger, for the West Coast Sound. Six years in a row in the 1960's and early 1970's, the Grammy for "Record of the Year" went to Wrecking Crew recordings. And now, THE WRECKING CREW tells the story in pictures and that oh, so glorious sound. The favorite songs of a generation are all here, presented by the people who made them for you. THE WRECKING CREW is a documentary film produced and directed by Denny Tedesco, son of legendary late Wrecking Crew guitarist Tommy Tedesco. The film tells the story of the unsung musicians that provided the backbeat, the bottom and the swinging melody that drove many of the number one hits of the 1960's. It didn't matter if it was Nat "King" Cole, Frank Sinatra, Nancy Sinatra, The Monkees, The Byrds or The Beach Boys, these dedicated musicians brought the flair and musicianship that made the American "west coast sound" a dominant cultural force around the world. The film is a fun and moving tribute from Denny to his father and to the music, the times and to the secret star-making machine known only as "The Wrecking Crew". (C) Magnolia"

Check out the trailer on YouTube or Rotten Tomatoes.

New Orleans 7* retreat. Food, food, and more food . . . .
    Tentatively Tahoe or LV . . . .
  2. Hobofrank

Hobofrank Prime Minister of Idiocracy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    thx will check it out

3. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I thought you meant the Dean Martin/Matt Helm movie in the 60's with that name. lol. used to like watching those movies, esp with the "scantily" (in those days) clad women.

4. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, I like those too, but this one has more "substance".

New Orleans 7* retreat. Food, food, and more food . . . .
    Tentatively Tahoe or LV . . . .
  5. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

I read the book by Hal Blaine ( a while ago ).
    As a kid and teenager, I must have heard all of the hits made
    by Wrecking Crew musicians.
    You might think it odd - that in those olden days - musicians wouldn't
    be credited for their work ?................IT STILL HAPPENS !....more than you would think !
    I'm looking forward to seeing this movie.......and told by a different perspective -
    than the book.
    BTW -
    As a former drummer, myself ---
    Hal Blaine ( drums ) would put a "signature" drum riff at the end of a song.
    Mathematically, I can't explain it to you - but "sound wise" = I'd explain it as.....
    "Hal staggers his 'kick drum' beat at the end of many songs.".....at the VERY end - fade out.
    I didn't read this....but....I think he did this just to be able to "identify" he was the drummer
    on a particular hit song heard over the radio.
    He recorded so many --- a story from his book --
    His girlfriend heard a hit song over the radio - and told him - "I heard you"
    He wasn't even sure + had to check his personal recording log book to agree.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.