1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Table Games The "Varience" as it applys to Gambling

Discussion in 'Table Games' started by Ben Jammin, Jul 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben Jammin

Ben Jammin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The "Variance" as it applys to Gambling

I recently read an article in which the entertainment writer went into great detail on the Variance as it applied to Texas Hold'em Poker.

Even if you knew the game in and out, even if you were a contender in the World Series Of Poker there is one factor over which you have no control. The Variance.

The short explanation is the Variance simply means the cycles that occur in any gambling game. You might do everything exactly right, but you still go on a losing streak, sometimes it can last for weeks or even months.

The good news is it can greatly benefit you. When you're on a winning streak and you know it you happily increase your bet size, you're winning and if you're at a communal game such as Craps, when you win, everybody wins, (Well except for the 5% or so that might bet against you on that don't pass line.)

So, and I loosely quote the author as to say; "To survive the Variance one needs the proper bankroll."

Depending on the game and the minimum amount of time and money required to play it long enough for the Variance to cycle one way or the other, you're going to need the necessary funds. So, if you're a short term gambler or a long term gambler, it all boils down to this:

"Either You're Lucky, Or You're Not!"

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  2. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Over-Fried Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Depending on the game and the minimum amount of time and money required to play it long enough for the Variance to cycle one way or the other, you're going to need the necessary funds. So, if you're a short term gambler or a long term gambler, it all boils down to this:

"Either You're Lucky, Or You're Not!"

I try to have at least the proper amt. of bankroll to weather out the negative cycles but like you said, either you're lucky or you're not... with the proper bankroll I feel I have a better chance of catching the wave if and when it comes.:thumbsup:

Going to Hawaii's 9th Island!!
    Going to Hawaii's 9th island!!
  3. FoolsGold

FoolsGold Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    MIT's original Blackjack team first went to Connecticut to practice... and they got cleaned out using the same skills that six weeks later gave them immense profits in Vegas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.