1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

The Psychology of Vacation

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Bruinfan1, Jun 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruinfan1

Bruinfan1 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    http://travel.nytimes.com/2012/07/01/travel/vacation-sabotage-dont-let-it-happen-to-you.html

I liked this NYTimes article on how to "adjust" to vacation, how to maximize the benefits of vacations while (hopefully) minimizing the pain. The comment on not preparing for vacation is very telling...also contradicts why many people are on this board!

Most of the article talks about separating you from your work life; if you have no problem with that then ignore this article. :nono:

I think there are corollaries to many of the points, though. If you are looking to replicate your life while on a less-stressful vacation, instead of going cold-turkey on everything you normally do, why not find similar activities to your regular life. Like clicking on e-mails as they arrive? Probably like table games where you react to the three up-cards in front of you. No big adjustment...perhaps no big benefit to vacation either? Set the alarm clock...but instead of rushing to work, enjoy room service or know you're headed to the pool shortly. I suspect that the clean break from reality is written for Type-A folks who choose not to relax when doing any significant activity.

Food for thought...unless you're currently on vacation. No thinking allowed on vacation :Þ

2. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My habits are different while on a vacation

My habits at home are:

Since I am retired... I sleep late. I stay up late.

I use my computer first thing in the morning.
    I clean my place in the morning and at night before bed-time.
    I take naps. I shower in the afternoons after going outside to water the garden and clean up the plants.
    I stay home unless I have to go shopping in the afternoon.
    I call people in the afternoons just to talk.
    I eat whenever I want at home.

My habits in Vegas:

I wake up real early without an alarm clock.
    I get ready to go out before the sun gets too hot.
    I take the RTC bus to go shopping or be a looky loo.
    I look for places to eat breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks.
    In the afternoon I take my shower to get rid of the windy dust that causes
    allergies for me.
    I watch the Vegas news and weather reports.
    I get ready for the 4p.m. "Happy Hours" and go out prepared to stay out late.
    In the evenings I go back to my hotel room with take-out dinner food or snacks and watch t.v. and eat at the same time.
    I call friends and family back home.

After I have rested..... I go out again to experience Vegas and have fun.

I can see the difference in my habits while at home and while at Vegas.
    The main difference is that I have a companion doggie at home and I have to take care of her needs too. I take her for car rides while I go shopping.
    She goes outside to the garden with me. She takes naps with me.
    She eats when I eat. I have to give her baths and clean up after her.

When I am on a vacation my doggie stays home and I enjoy not having to worry about her needs because her dog sitter is great at taking care of her.
    I love my doggie very much but I don't plan to get another pet once she goes to the RainBow Bridge where all pets go to wait for us. Lucy

3. auburnu008

auburnu008 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great article. Thanks for posting. :beer:

4. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It seems all the issues mentioned in the article could be solved with a few drinks.

5. Terry Benedict

Terry Benedict VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It seems this article goes hand in hand with the thread "When does your Las Vegas trip begin" and many others. "Last day before vacation", "What's the first thing you do", etc. We are so busy planning the perfect trip that we forget to just let go and enjoy what we are doing at the moment. It's like I am always planning to have fun instead of just letting it happen. I think about the great dinner I'm going to have at Mon Ami Gabi while I'm eating at Gran Lux. It's just silly.

I had a week in Maui this spring and left my phone in the condo for five days. It drove me nuts that my Lady was facebooking, emailing, and texting every hour we had service. I made her leave it in the room a couple times, with her under protest.

I did Disneyworld a few years ago and couldn't understand how my brother in law could enjoy himself without taking pictures or buying souvenirs. After we got home, I got it. The memories were better than the pictures, and the t-shirts didn't fit. It taught me a good lesson that I am still trying to fully apply.

I think this is an enlightening article that is very appropriate to me personally.

6. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Over-Fried Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think many of us forget how to relax when on vacation.

Going to Hawaii's 9th Island!!
    Going to Hawaii's 9th island!!
  7. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i couldn't agree more. not that you shouldn't plan, but looking forward to something for too long and in too much depth just creates a letdown when you get home and you don't have that to look forward to anymore. defeats the whole purpose of taking a vacation.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.