1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

The President Comes To My Town,Tomorrow

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe Strummer, May 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Secret Service guys are all around.
    The Pres drops in by helicopter around 3 pm. near the river -
    at the old GM auto plant.
    Motorcades about 1 mile - along the industrial roads next to
    The Hudson River.
    >
    Speaks at a Boat Club - where the old + new Tappan Zee
    Bridge is being built --- in the backdrop.
    >
    My train time is RIGHT THEN !!!
    NO TRAIN will run for an hour....so, I'm driving in to work.
    >
    They better not close down the main road route -- (go's to the bridge)
    or it's gonna be a NIGHTMARE at the overburdened
    commuter traffic time ! OUCH !!!!
    >
    All the town + county politicos are hoping for a handshake photo op.
    "Won't happen...suckers !"

2. Kickin

Kickin Flea

Yeah prepare for a lot of traffic. He comes here all the time, as do a bunch of other officials with huge motorcades and protection details. Watching it drive by is pretty cool though, especially the Secret Service guys who sit facing sideways the entire time with their weapons in drawn.

3. atcmurph

atcmurph Watcher Of The Skies

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Always interesting. I work near the airport. Once when he came here there were guys with sniper rifles positioned on top of our building. And they blocked my road to work like 1/4 of a mile from my building. I just showed my important gov't ID and they let me pass.

4. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been in Vegas several times when a President has come to town and yep it really is a "challenge" navigating around in the areas he's in. Once, George W. Bush was speaking at the Thomas & Mack Center just adjacent to the the airport and it took forever to get out of the airport area. The logistics of moving the President around are kinda impressive though to see.

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  5. mikenhe

mikenhe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I used to live in Manchester nh so being "first in the nation" we used to get a lot of wannabes visiting and then the pres (current or prior) would turn up to stump for them.

after landing at the airport they always try to shut down 3 routes to whatever venue is being visited so that nobody knows which route will be used.

that's great but from the airport to downtown that means shutting down pretty much every road around. its a cluster at best. I thought it was great at first but it soon got pretty damn tiresome not being able to get around.

then throw in the primaries and all of the news crews from around the world dropping in and the whole place is a mess. you can't even go out for breakfast without some candidate and 3 news crews stinking out the place.

6. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    He came to my small town in Washington last month to view the landslide damage. My brother in law was fortunate enough as a first responder to meet him. When they shook hands, President palmed him this....

Attached Files:

7. jerseyguy

jerseyguy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is that Tarrytown NY?

Went over the Tappan Zee a couple months ago ,was a mess then ,backed up at 2pm in the afternoon heading back to NJ.

8. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Sanitation guys were out in full force --
    I've never seen this many in 17 yrs -
    they were out w/ the big trucks + small.
    Even the parking meter guy was out +
    this was around 7 am.
    At first, I was wondering what was up ?...
    then, I remembered.
    Woman at work said, "My sister works for Marriot Hotels
    and EVERY room is booked for miles around."
    I have a walkie talkie for my job --
    already have alot of action coming over it.
    We had a discussion at work --
    I said, "The president would sleep on Air Force One, wouldn't he ?"
    And he probably landed at a nearby (15 miles away) Air force Base,right
    I hope I can get my car across the main drag -- and get going
    on some back roads til I'm outta town.
    I leave just as he arrives.......that sucks !:Þ

9. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Obama usually spends his end of the year holidays in Hawaii. Unfortunately they close our main roads and freeways and slow everything down when they are here. Some businesses close down because they can't do business. Some air charters or flight schools take a vacation because secret service won't let them fly when the pres is here. Luckily he stays on the other side of the island so I don't have to experience as much disruption when he is here. I usually play the military courses on xmas and new years but guess he does the family thing on those days so I never get to see him play.

10. broncofn

broncofn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Welcome to the dc life. I used to work close to Capitol Hill and my wife still does. You would see snipers on top of bldgs, hotels would cover all back entrances so you can't see where or what cars would go in, police making road blocks, etc.

Few years back, we were leaving caesars in Vegas and the president was apparently coming in for something. Caesars even left a letter under the room doors for guests to give themselves extra time to leave the property.

11. wormhole

wormhole Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When Bush #2 was in office, I returned home from a Vega strip, flying into CVG (one of the few times I flew out of there). Upon leaving the airport, I see cops on every crossover on the beltway around Cincy. Climbed onto I-75 northbound and noticed the southbound side was completely empty. Very odd. I turned on the radio and started poking around the local stations and heard Bush was in the area and heading back to CVG to fly out. Hmm. I thought he would have used Wright-Patterson AFB since it wasn't that far away. I eventually did see his motorcade. No effect on me since I was heading the opposite way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.