1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

The NHL and NBA,drag on forever.

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by jerseyguy, May 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jerseyguy

jerseyguy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To me hoops and hockey are winter sports and should be over and done with in March like college bball. This is baseball,golf and fishing season.

2. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Talk about draggin'-on... one baseball game seems to drag on for a month or so!!!! I do agree with you though, I think NBA starts in October and here we are starting June and the Finals still haven't started.

3. parallax

parallax Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Baseball goes from March to November. If there is any sport that needs to be shortened it is baseball. I'm a little late to the game but I find the Stanley Cup playoffs fascinating.

4. UKFanatic

UKFanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For fans of any given sport, its a good thing. I love basketball. if it were year round I would be happy

5. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was looking at some stats the other day and they are saying this season the average game is 6-10 minutes longer, but it seems like every night there is a game or two or three that runs upwards of four hours long. The other day I had some money on a Diamondbacks game and went online to check the final score and 3hrs and 15 minutes after the game started it was still only in the 7th inning.

As for the time of year and the NHL: 10-15 years ago I used to think why don't they make it an even 100 games in the NHL, more games and make the season longer. Now I'm kind of thinking they should cut it back to 65-70 games as the season is getting too long. I know it is more exciting when the playoffs are on and all that but the teams that don't make the playoffs end up with 5.5 months of downtime to recover, rest, heal, get in shape, etc and the teams that go deep or to the finals might only get 2.5-3.5 months off from the end of their season to the start of the next.

6. RiddickBull

RiddickBull VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Same here. I wish football was year around also.

7. jamesxnj

jamesxnj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nascar has a long season also.

8. jerseyguy

jerseyguy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for everyones opinions,I grew up in a different era than a lot of you guys,so I guess I'm kinda "old school" when it comes to sports. I enjoyed the World Series back then when it was day ball and we snuck radios into school and you got updates or you cut school just to watch it. No playoffs,no big screen hd tv's but it was still great. I remember what a big deal it was when a kid in my 5th.grade class got off early to go to a Rangers game ,believe that? The last time I really got excited about the Knicks was during the Patrick Ewing years,if you put a gun to my head I couldn't name one guy on the team now. I didnt mind when football ended because we had Mickey,Willie and The Duke' coming up in spring . Friday night fights were year round back when boxing was boxing and we listened to heavyweight championships on radio. I know those days aint coming back and I laughed about the post about computers becoming obsolete,I became obsolete long before my computer did. Off to AC tomorrow to play vp,the modern world aint all bad.

9. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Baseball should schedule a couple double headers a week for every team, and then they could shorten the season. Could fill up stadiums, don't charge extra gate admission for second game. The owners would recoup that through their $8 glass of beers. Get rid of interleague- that has worn off.

Hockey to me isn't too long because it isn't shoved down the publics throat like the NBA. When my Wild were still alive in the playoffs, I had one helluva time finding their games, the NBA is on 20 networks and the highlight prince of ESPN. Hockey highlights take up about a minute on Sportscenter, you can really tell how ESPN feels about the NHL.

NFL season is perfect. That is why it has become what it has.

10. Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas Ramblin' Gamblin' Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The problem is too many teams qualify for the playoffs, and the regular season for American sports have become irrelevant as most teams with a pulse and .500 record make the playoffs.

European soccer (football) leagues have the best format - a round robin season format, no playoffs and relegation (the bottom three teams are sent to the "minors" throughout several levels of football, with the top teams promoted the following season).

I like that the NHL returned to a division based playoff system, though my preference would be four division winners meet in the conference finals with no "wildcards". Make the season count. Do the same with the other three sports.

I really only follow MLB and NASCAR (I'd eliminate the Chase), with limited interest in the NHL (playoffs - because the regular season is a long exhibition season), horse racing, and the EPL/Champions League/National Tournaments.

I think the NFL has become too greedy (expanding weekday games and playoff teams), with the main interest in "fantasy" and betting.

11. jrinct1

jrinct1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    NOTHING better in sports than the NHL playoffs.........ok the NFL playoffs....as long as the Giants are in them and the Jets and Cowboys ARENT LOL!

12. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

The "Regular Season" in NBA + NHL is just an EXHIBITION SEASON.
    MLB + NFL is trying desperately to follow, w/ TOO MANY playoff teams.
    Agreed, any playoff rounds w/ your team involved, is NEVER too long.

13. CaliMike

CaliMike Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nascar is not a Sport.... :poke:

14. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

The most ridiculous season is professional golf's. And with the lunacy of the wraparound, there is effectively no off season, though it does assure that the best players still won't be seen much from September into January or February. No change there, Finchem.

Isn't Joe still digging through six feet of snow up there in WI??? So why not hockey?! lol

My favorite season is NCAA FB. If they never played another game in this sport, I'd not shed a tear: NBA.

Thankfully we all have our faves and we all have mute buttons and many channels from which to choose.

15. IAlowroller

IAlowroller Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The LA/Chicago NHL conference final took 15 days to complete 7 games. The announcers were talking about game 1 and 2 last night and I had no clue what they were talking about and I watched them, but damn, that was 2 weeks ago! LOL For us in the north part of the country that like hockey, it's 365 days a year. Our local team just finished their season May 20th and on May 28th held their tryouts for the 14-15 season, love it!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.