1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

The Mirage - incidental hold?

Discussion in 'MyVegas' started by Epeebes, Apr 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Epeebes

Epeebes Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I look at my CC statement and the Mirage charged me $424 dollars for the 2 night stay in the deluxe room when I had the MyVegas Award. I'm fuming! :grrr:

Did anyone have this problem being charged for anything?

And who should I call about this the Hotel or MyVegas?

2. Epeebes

Epeebes Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Let me add that they are "pending charges" on American Express. Here's a snapshot of the charges.

Attached Files:

3. steveorama

steveorama Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    didn't you check out and review the bill?

4. Hogman

Hogman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pending charges are generally an authorization if they do not actually process the charge it goes away. If it has not been charged by now it probably won't be. You can call the hotel and make sure.

First Trip 2017
  5. Epeebes

Epeebes Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes. It was blank and $0

I spoke to the front desk person about it, although she never mentioned a pending charge on my cc has a hold.

6. Epeebes

Epeebes Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you. A few other people on the MyVegas Friends board told me this also. I've never had pending charges for a hotel before so this was new to me.

When I called MyVegas to set up the reservation they took my cc info as protocol. I didn't know it was standard to put pending charges on a comped room.

7. heatherlovesvegas

heatherlovesvegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think they do, but that seems like a lot? Wait a few days and see if it drops off.

8. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Those looks like hold charges against your card and when you say your bill was $0 when you checked out, that proves it. All hotels will ask for a credit card to put a hold for incidentals... in case you want to use room service, watch a PPV movie, drink from the mini bar, etc. It is their way of making sure that they COULD charge your card in case they needed to do so.

Holds will usually fall off somewhere between 10-14 days after the fact.

9. BeeeJay

BeeeJay President of The Red Lobster Hostess Satisfaction

Trips to Las Vegas:
    nice thing is its on your amex, if it ever goes thru, just dispute it, you can't lose

10. Epeebes

Epeebes Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That makes sense, but why charge an insane amount? I made sure not to touch the mini-bar or move anything so I didn't get accidentally charged for something. Even slapped my friends hand who was trying to touch some stuff :nono:

Good to know it takes 10-14 days that puts me a little more at ease.

11. BarryK

BarryK Tourist

People can charge all their meals and drinks to their room. Got to cover their high end restaurants.

12. VegasDave

VegasDave Addicted

Trips to Las Vegas:
    +1 to this, Amex has an outstanding bill dispute record with me, althought I use a diff cc now for the flight rewards.

13. 9wishes

9wishes Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Monte Carlo put the rack rate + resort fee + $100 hold on my card for a one night MyVegas stay even though I paid $0 for it. Took almost 3 weeks to drop off.

14. sco5123

sco5123 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Who else has this happened to? Is it a norm? Should I anticipate this?

15. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    of course, they always put a hold on your card for incidentals. if you don't want to give them a card, they will usually take a cash deposit. it's usually in the $50-100/night range. there was a whole other LONG thread about this a while back.

one thing I will say about AMEX is that the holds drop off very slowly compared to other cards. it can take a week for a charge to fall off even when I know the merchant released it manually. they're just like that. other cards often release in 2-3 days at most.

16. Hogman

Hogman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is a thread that is like the debit card threads. This is the reason why you can have problems with using a debit card with hotel check-in. With a debit card the authorization may cut into your spending money if you do not have a high balance. With the Amex or credit card with a decent limit it just shows up as a pending charge and will go away after 7 to 14 days, in the past before Internet you would not even realized it happened.

First Trip 2017
  17. sco5123

sco5123 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, but she said $424 (looks like that includes resort fee, room rate charges and incidentals for a myvegas room). Incidental holds are a norm of course. Incidentals are always factored in. It's all the other stuff that you should not have holds for for a free room. I do a detailed financial budgeting for all of my trips, and while I could budget this in, I would not want to. I would rather just book a regular room than get a "free" room with unnecessary holds.

Is this a norm for all the myvegas rooms (combined room rate, resort fee and incidental hold)?

18. 9wishes

9wishes Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know if its normal, I just had the one experience, but it was in December and the clerk didn't know it was myvegas comp until she'd already printed me out the sheet that showed my room rate would be $66 plus resort fee. I reminded her it was the comp myvegas, and she still thought I would have to pay resort fee, which I didn't. So my hold might have been more than "normal" for these comps because of the mistake.

As far as how long they took to fall off, I was surprised at how long it took. Not the same credit card banks, a Visa and a Mastercard, both took about 3 weeks. I don't know what the deal is with that, but if I call them about it at the credit card bank, they just act like they can't do anything about it. Maybe they can't. So it can be longer than 7 to 14.

19. Epeebes

Epeebes Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The pending charge is no longer there today, so I guess it took Amex 10 days to drop it.

I guess it's something that people using MyVegas for the free rooms should anticipate.

20. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not to sidetrack the thread, but if you use your Amex to purchase any electronic items, they automatically add one year on to whatever warranty you receive.

Bought a 56" TV at Costco and it crapped out 2.5 years later. Costco added one year to the manufacturer's one year warranty, so that was two years and AMEX added another year, for a total of three years. Result-new TV!:thumbsup: Just hold on to the receipts:poke:!

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.