1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

The Las Vegas sign

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by The Stig, Jul 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Stig

The Stig VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This might of been mentioned before but the Welcome To Las Vegas sign is a iconic feature and everybody who visits wants their picture taken with it.

So why is it difficult to get across to, when we last visited 2 years ago there was no crossing near to get over to the traffic island that it is located on, I would of thought that it would of been made easy for tourists to get across to it.

2. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They now have a parking area:peace: Doesn't help if you're trying to take the bus and cross the road.....

3. thenuke1

thenuke1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i thought about this awhile ago.

My guess is its more revenue for Cabs, and bus tours that make their way into the lot. Risk getting a ticket by crossing or worse ... death !

4. unomas

unomas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  5. Kcitsme

Kcitsme Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is another Welcome to Las Vegas Sign on the Boulder Strip. This is not as famous as the one at the south end of the Strip but they look the same. It is near the Eastside Cannery.

6. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, there is another vegas sign on boulder highway. I don't remember any area for people to park and take pictures though.

I kind of like the one on the strip because it has the MB as the backdrop.

I think they don't want to put cross walks by the strip sign because it will force cars to slow down and force them to stop for pedestrians, thus causing some gridlock. But then the alternative (people jaywalking and risk getting hit or killed) isn't a good situation either.

7. The Stig

The Stig VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When we went we did the dash across the road, but traffic wasn't too bad, Iam sure a crossing would help for people who are not going there by tour bus or taxi.

I also liked that they have a guy there who will take pictures of you in front of the sign for no charge, but you obviously tip him.

8. Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas Ramblin' Gamblin' Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No official parking, but the traffic is lighter than on the strip and it's easy to take pictures there. Don't forget the Downtown Sign.

Attached Files:

9. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And one on the way Downtown:peace: (well, that says Welcome to Downtown Las Vegas....)

10. pompous

pompous Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My first couple nights before moving to Encore will be at Mandalay Bay. We usually like to wake up and run the strip our first morning out there. Anybody know how far south of MB the welcome sign is?

11. Marmandduke

Marmandduke Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    After being there ten times, we've never seen the sign up close! Nice to know there is someone to take your picture.

12. crussader

crussader Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just realized this web cam keeps a 24 hour archive. On the last day of my trip I now plan to go to the sign, wave like an idiot at the southwestern sky, and then come home to capture a pic of myself from the archive.

13. pompous

pompous Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I must be blind, but how do I find the archives?

14. crussader

crussader Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    At the top of the video image there is a black bar. At the left end of that bar you have a choice between "Live" and "Archive".

15. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We had our picture taken before they added the parking area and it was a rush to get it done as the taxi guy had to drop us off and wasn't too happy he had to wait. He was so concerned we were going to take off.

This time we figured we would go early in the morning and the cabbie has a nice place to wait. It was early morning and only one other couple there.
    Took the pictures and guess what.......if you go early in the morning the sun isn't high enough and it casts a really bad shadow on the bottom half. The top half of the sign was awesome and clear. A lot of image editing had to be done and its not a good as if we went later in the day.

I wanted to go back but my wife didn't as it was about a $25 round trip cab fare.

If you plan to do the sign, definitely wait until later in the afternoon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.