1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

The hotel minibar is Satan's pantry

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by leo21, Sep 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  2. TheCanoe

TheCanoe Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for posting a link that no one can read without signing up for a membership :/

3. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just don't touch a mini-bar, not worth it at all. Besides, going out for a few (much cheaper) supplies is a good excuse to get out of the room and explore.

Bill

4. jamesxnj

jamesxnj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just an fyi my room at GVR had one that was not touch sensitive so I could move things around and store a few beers in it..(No regular Fridge in the room,like the Rio).
    But I really wonder what hotels keep track of the bar inventory anymore? Seems every time I check in the Rio it's half-empty or some spots are missing,after a couple stays I don't even bother telling the desk about it and have never been charged..

5. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Works for me with no paywall or anything.

6. Hobofrank

Hobofrank Prime Minister of Idiocracy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    then you already signed up and forgot, because no worky here either

7. Kickin

Kickin Flea

Just google the title of the article and go through that google link. It's a simple way around most newspaper paywalls.

8. FXT

FXT VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cliffs: stick a paper underneath the item youre removing and you should (no guarantees) be able to replace it later without triggering the sensor

9. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually, you are correct. Trib is a client of mine and I have an account already signed in.

10. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks - that's good advice to get to the interesting article Personally, I NEVER touch those things!

11. IxAccDnf

IxAccDnf VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    worked for me I never signed up at the Tribune site but I do block scripts so I guess that's my hall pass

12. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I only move mini-bar items in Coaster Kikky's room. :)

13. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have never even opened the door, so I don't know what is in there. Could be naked 19 year old sorority girls for all I know.

14. Someone

Someone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    another tip in addition to googling the title on stupid sites like these where the splash screen pops up you can hit the stop button on the browser at the right time and stop the splash screen from opening and blocking the article and then forwarding to the home page

15. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can't see how that would work...

That idea seems to assume there is some kind of light sensor under the item pointing up and that by putting a piece of paper under the item would block the sensor... but I think most minibars use scales and detect when items are removed or moved around by the weight change (hence why just moving an item around can result in a charge).

And a problem with the remove and later replace idea is: its usually not going to work so in the end you still get charged for the item and then end up being out the cost of the replacement.
    IE: if there is a bottle of water in there that costs $2 at the CVS store but the minibar is charging $4 for if you take that bottle out, drink it and then later replace it with a bought bottle... its likely they will charge you the $4 plus you'll be out $2 for the bottle that you replaced it with. So in one's hope to save $2 they will usually end up costing themselves $6

I definitely think mini bar prices are too high for the most part (and ridiculously high for some items), but sometimes I will weigh the cost versus the convenience of having the item right then and there instead of having to get dressed adn then going down to the lobby or off property to a nearby store... pretty much very similar to room service and the added cost there instead of going down to the coffee shop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.