1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

The fun of booking flights to Vegas

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Buddha, May 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buddha

Buddha VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Back in December, when we were booking our surprise "unplanned" trip for the Jan/Feb Superbowl trip, we were already in possession of SWA flight tickets for our April trip @ $130 each way, p/p, out of Chicago Midway. And for some strange reason, our Jan/Feb flight tickets on SWA came up at only $128 each.

And then, on Feb. 4th, our last day on that trip, we sat in our room at the SunCoast, and booked our September flights at $162 each. That was more than we wanted to pay, but a few weeks later there was a price drop to $142 each, so we re-booked, and banked the $80 for a future trip.

Well, today (May 6) was another opening of SWA reservations through the rest of the year. In checking the November flights, the best non-stop flights were $164 each, and we jumped into action. However, using our credits from the September rebookings, we got the November flights down to $144 each way, p/p.

And now, after more than a year of accumulating SWA Rapid Reward Credits from flight points, rental car partners, SWA - Visa credit card use, and a few other promos ... we now have about 50,000 RR's, with more to come on our upcoming trips. And, those RR points will more than likely be used for totally FREE flights on our next two trips in 2014.

Is that fun, or what !!! ??? :thumbsup:

2. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A lot of people dislike the new RR program. I love it. I have banked 130,000 points, which I figure are good for 13 free roundtrip flights to Vegas, based on what I normally pay, or as many as 19 based on what I last paid. I also have 2 of the old credits, which I am going to use for a free trip to Puerto Rico this winter. It might take forever to get there, but hey, its free!

3. Buddha

Buddha VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Yeah ... at first I wasn't liking the new SWA multiplier, between "earning" 6X points, and "paying" 60X points ... as the old system used any 8 r/t flight credits to fly free. But now, with the unlimited seats available for a free flight, plus the immediate refund of points for a lower re-booking price ... there are definite advantages.

I tend to book our SWA flights (cash or points) far in advance when the new dates open up, and get all excited with a new trip to Vegas in the planning. However, it then begins a long waiting period for the trip to begin ... like our flights in September & November.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.