1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

The Elio car - will it get built??

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by DaiLun, Jun 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For those of you familiar with Elio Motors, as you know, production has been slipped to Q1 of 2016.

For those of you saying "Elio who/what??", please refer to the link below

www.eliomotors.com

I put in a $1000 all-in (meaning non-refundable) deposit and I am number 7513 in line.

I got in when they were matching dollar for dollar on "all in" deposits.

I figured I've gambled more and gotten back less.

Anyone else out there put in a reservation? Are any of you that did losing confidence?

Las Vegas on less than $50 in gas!!

2. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Elio Motors has missed several self-imposed deadlines regarding development and (more importantly) financing. That does not mean it's dead, but the company definitely has major health concerns. Frankly, history has not been kind to American efforts to launch production of three-wheeled cars. Literally dozens of start-ups have tried and failed over the past 20 years. Again, it does not mean Elio Motors will fail, but it does illustrate the head wind it's up against.

I give Elio Motors a 20% chance of going into production. I'd consider one for my stable if they make 'em.

Bill

3. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    lol,

you put down $1000 non refundable dollars for that. Thats a good one.

You know, motorcycles have been around for years and you can actually take a passenger on one.

I give these about a 99.9% chance of going into production.

I could be wrong but I give that about a 99.9% chance of that not being the case either either.

On the bright side, you dont have to be seen getting out of one so thats in itself should be priceless.

4. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I started to put a deposit down and stopped about three times. I just didn't get a good feeling that it was going to actually be mass produced and make it to the customers based on their business model. I drive 102 rt miles to work daily, so I would give it a whirl!

5. DaiLun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    1) Motorcycles require separate licensing/training
    2)Motorcycles provide less protection than an enclosed shell vehicle
    3)I live In California, where lanesplitting is legal and most drivers don't seem to understand that.
    4)You ever ridden a motorcycle in the rain? (I'm sure that you have)
    5)The main reason that I'm buying this is for the 250 Mile round trip that I have to do twice a month for my son's visitation with his Mom. I've been doing this for 11 years and will be doing it for at least the next 5.
    6)The secondary reason is to say "I've got one"
    7)$1000 is within my budget to waste.

However, I appreciate all comments, both positive and negative.

6. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Personal lifestyle choices being criticized in the milieu of a message board where gambling and alcohol are deified? Man, you can't make this shit up.

7. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hear that. I'm eyeing this vehicle for the 820-mile round trip I do between SLC and Las Vegas twice a month. It would get the mpg of a motorcycle but be enclosed like a car for the Winter season.

Bill

8. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good on you for keep it cool.

It looks like a pretty cool vehicle, especially if the safety is what they say on the website.

9. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And certainly you cannot be surprised. Some avatars read like street signs: stop, go, yield and of course slow.

10. sindustry

sindustry VIP Whale

I saw something similar to this driving down the 15 yesterday...except it was an open-top.

11. DaiLun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, but the "similar" version costs $30,000.

Elio is $6800 MSRP and they are scheduled to go into full production Q1 2016

12. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED !địt mẹ!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    no thanks..
    I used to squeeze 40mpg out of a $1000 saturn I bought...worked for me.

Palace Tower Suite!
  13. Krh2o

Krh2o MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Car looks intriguing. I dunno how the 55hp will do on freeways but it's light so might not be a problem. The main issue is with the company structure. They are marketing it as a cheap alternative to traditional cars. They want a down payment now basically sight unseen. Most of the people that can afford to place a deposit sight unseen can probably afford more and or want a little nicer features. I didn't see a CD player or iPhone hookup, didn't seem like satellite radio was an option. Im a high mileage commuter who 99% doesn't need more then 1 seat. I would consider this. It's a hell of a lot cheaper then the Tesla.

14. DaiLun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    All of your questions are addressed in various blogs and marketing. They have 2 prototypes that they have been traveling the country with. I got $1000 with my $1000 deposit, so if/when they come through, I will have $2000 down. I am currently awaiting the options list.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.