1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

The College Bowl Schedule - Take A Look

Discussion in 'The Sports Book' started by Joe Strummer, Dec 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

I counted 12 college teams playing in the D-I Bowl games -
    that had .500 records.
    Two bowl games have both .500 teams playing each other -
    wow !
    What a Bowl of Mediocracy ?
    Some of these corporate sponsors' names on the Bowl
    are silly.
    And I'm glad to see the OLD NAME of the Bowl game still attached
    ( after the sponsor's name )....reminds me of the old days when
    the BOWL NAME was more important.
    ( ie. Liberty Bowl, Fiesta Bowl, Rose Bowl, Sugar Bowl,etc....)

2. Hogman

Hogman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Come on man!!!.
    My team the Razorbacks are one of those teams. We could have been 8-4 with a little luck, and lost all of our games to teams that were either in the top 10 or 15 at the time. So we are not awful we just play in the toughest division in the country the SEC West.:thumbsup:

First Trip 2017
  3. Buddha

Buddha VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree, Joe .... It's all about the money, and less and less about the game itself.
    There are sponsors lined up hoping to get their name on a bowl game ... many sponsor names you never even heard of.

Many, many years ago, I would run the college bowl pool at work, and back then there was only about 16 or 17 games. At last count, I think I saw something like 38 bowl games this year ... several with "6 - 6" teams ("bowl eligible") ... because they need those teams to fill those bowl slots. My home state school (Illinois) was one of those teams, and they hardly looked like a bowl contender this year.

4. OhioStateAlum

OhioStateAlum Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nothing wrong with a little more football. I usually don't watch the shit games anyway. I just looked at the schedule and there are 25 games I'd at least have interest in watching, but only about 5 that I will make a point to catch. New Years Day is going to be incredible though.

5. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Couples plusses to the silly bowl season, and often a big minus. On the good side, teams and coaches get some "free" practice time, and I'd guess most of the kids are glad to make a bowl even if it sends them to the Yukon. The ugly side is the cost to many teams, often less financially stable programs, of seat guarantees and all that in a nominal-return game.

But as for any fan interest dilution ... if you don't like a particular game, don't watch it.

Go Ducks!

6. IxAccDnf

IxAccDnf VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    for me the more the merrier I love college football and bowl season

7. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Ken's post reminded me of this story ---
    Many years ago, my father coached a H.S. kid who
    went on to star at Notre Dame.
    There was a team vote about whether to play a bowl game ( IMAGINE THAT TODAY ?)
    This player voted against going to a bowl game.........everyone was shocked at his choice.....
    until he explained it.
    " I was going to get NFL drafted.....I didn't need another game to get hurt or to show the NFL my stuff.
    Plus, the coaching staff treated us like dogs - as if it was pre-season - before last year's bowl game.
    It was 3 weeks of torture practices......breaking us down...like we hadn't played a long season already."

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.