1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

The Big Loss (but it’s a win!)

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by Bo333, Mar 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bo333

Bo333 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

I started writing a normal trip report and at about page 3 I decided I’d probably be boring people to death with all the detail, so I’m going to divide it up like another poster did and try to do more of a summary.

Transportation
    Flew AA out of Austin with a plane change in Dallas. I don’t go direct because my days of going cargo class have long been over. No airlines have first out of Austin direct to Vegas. Every flight that serves a meal I try to send back to someone in cargo class since I don’t eat while I fly. It’s running about 50% whether they’ll do it or not. Since I brought a box of chocolates for the flight crew they were amenable to sending it to the back, I told them to pick someone that looked like they needed it.

On the flights back from Vegas I got the new planes with entertainment which was rather nice. The flight back had a lousy lift-off time probably do to the merger with USAir. 2:30pm is just a tad unwieldly of a time for me.
    The limo was waiting on time, that happening is about 50% because my host seems to have trouble with details.

Hotel
    Staying at MGM as usual. This is my home base and my host treats me well (other than his amazing lack of attention to details). I got a room for myself and a room for my mother (who was flying in from Philly at midnight). There are no more smoking rooms at MGM, which my mother seemed to handle okay as I didn’t get charged the cleaning fee for her room. Hard to teach an 85 year old Jewish mother new tricks.

Food
    Ate at Craftsteak, Jean Georges, Tenders, and Gallagher’s 3 times. I got the filet every time. I think all the chefs had the night off at Craftsteak since the meat was overcooked, first time I had a bad steak there in the dozens (100s?) of times I’ve eaten there (our whole party was unimpressed). Had the most fun at Jean Georges, but I think it had to with me being up $100K at that moment, that will make any restaurant great! Food, like the rooms is all comp’d.

Lunches were all pizza in the food court because I love my pizza and try to refrain from it unless I’m in Vegas.

College Donations
    Saturday: $2500 (1 college professor overnight)
    Sunday: $1500 (1 college professor overnight)
    Monday: $3000 (3 college seniors at the same time, was celebrating my winnings!)
    Tuesday: $350
    Wed: 0
    Thursday: 0
    Friday: $750 (2 college sophomores, back to back not together)

Gambling
    Gambling consists of mostly craps (about 10 hours or more a day)
    Some Pai Gow (Tiles and Poker)
    Some BJ
    Some UTH
    A little bit of baccarat (this is new).
    Non craps gambling is to get off our feet for a few minutes.

Saturday: Craps and one short losing session of UTH: + $3500

Sunday: Craps, small amount of BJ, Pai Gow Tiles & Poker, small amount of baccarat: +$3000
    (As of Sunday night company time I had yet to have a losing session in craps – this is a first for a 24 hour start of my vacation).

Monday:
    Morning, early afternoon: craps and some Pai Gow Tiles: Even (had some small losing sessions of craps).

Monday late afternoon, buddy rolls an 81 hand in craps (1 hour 10 mins). [For those of you that don’t believe in dice influence he was very lucky, for those of you that do, he practices many hours a week and owns his own craps table.] 1 hour 10 mins is very fast for that many rolls. We’ve rolled > 90mins many times and barely got in 50 rolls. But this table wasn’t too crowded and not a lot of prop bets.
    After that hand: +$100K (well 98K to be exact, I brought in 2). Yes it was a clean round number after the tip, and no, I had no idea that was what was on my tray.
    For those of you that like details: only 1 small and 1 tall and no alls. He hit all numbers, there was almost no crap at all (not sure how many thousands I wasted on the horn thinking crap had to come up some time!). I had 4 numbers maxed. My buddy made $3k and has been kicking himself ever since on his lousy betting. The rest of table didn’t even make it to black although they all seemed to be happy. I went across for the dealers about mid-way, they managed to hit black and were very happy.

Tuesday: Craps, BJ, roulette, Pai Gow Poker, Baccarat – I call this Terrible Tuesday as not a single winning session in craps. And I was playing like I had all the money in the world. Did hit my number in roulette with $25 on it in a drive by, didn’t help much: -$50K:grrr: (yes half my winnings :cry:).
    My friends quote was that I should have stayed in my room all day shtooping (it’s Yiddish – look it up) myself to death. It would have been cheaper and I would be happy. (although would be very sore)

Wednesday: Craps, roulette, Pai Gow Tiles (hit my same number again in a drive by!), Pai Gow Tiles, Bacarrat : -$5000

Thursday: Craps, BJ, Pai Gow Poker: $-18K :grrr: (Still betting rather stupid trying to recover my winnings)

Friday: Craps, Pai Gow Tiles, UTH: +$7K

Saturday: Craps: -4K.

All the daily numbers are rough estimates as I came away $28K up which includes any expenses (college fund donations) that came up.

So it was a winning trip which ranks up there with one of my better ones, but not my best. But I had a f!@#$ six figure win at one point (which would have been my best by far). So while I am both happy and kind of upset, truth be told I’m more happy than upset now that I can reflect. And my buddy is still reprimanding himself for his lack of betting skill during that 81 hander.
    I’m way to aggressive a better and he is way too conservative, so somewhere in-between is a really good better! :)

2. UKFanatic

UKFanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice read. But come on, if you're going to do pizza every day for lunch, aim higher than the food court! :poke: Both 800 and 550 are short walks away

3. Lovegas95

Lovegas95 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    College donations = strippers? Congrats on the wins and thanks for sharing.

Must...Go...To...Vegas!!
  4. Bo333

Bo333 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My pizza tastes are simple and I'm a fan of Bonanno's...as long as its fresh. Not so good if it has been sitting out.

5. bdautch

bdautch High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I could be wrong, but I think maybe we have to go one step beyond mere strippers on this one.

6. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Love your reports!

An 81 roll hand and three college seniors at the same time? That makes the trip. Excellent!

7. tdhoier

tdhoier Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No, UNLV is right down the street from the MGM, I'm sure he was combing around campus in between the craps tables and the fine dining.

I'm sure of it....just a question on what subjects the professors are teaching at this Mountain West Conference institution.

Congratulations on eating a half dozen filets, Sir.

8. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Congrats on the win! Took me a quick second to decode the college fund donations.

9. basicearth

basicearth Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK call me a noobie and gullible, but I first interpreted that as he was making scholarship donations daily based on his winnings!!! I figured it out rather quickly though. Still a little star struck at the whales hanging out here! <going back to my spectator seat>

10. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good stuff! Does Mom know about the donations? :evillaugh

11. MikeOPensacola

MikeOPensacola VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    "... although would be very sore." Too funny. Sounds like a great trip. Congrats on the win.

:peace::beer:

Annual Summer Bliss in the Land of Milk and Honey!!!
  12. pleepleus

pleepleus 2016 - The monkey is back

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's pretty sweet. I'm assuming since he's constantly practicing, he kept track of the number of rolls? We encountered two shooters at Caesars that made it seem like they were influencers, but neither of them could get a roll longer than 10 throws

13. JeJas

JeJas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    great craps win!
    How do you know those are real college students? On campus doesn't mean they are in college.

14. JeJas

JeJas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Please, we just want to be bored.

15. UKFanatic

UKFanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Took a quick weekend trip to Tunica and every time I go there, there are these old guys recording every roll of the dice in tiny notebooks. They must have the entire history of craps at the GoldStrike, lol

16. Bo333

Bo333 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have a little clicker to count the rolls. We're probably about -5% short on rolls as I'll forget to click it on every roll when I get excited, but it's close enough.

I just assumed all those young girls are working their way through college. A few of my regulars must be on their PHD programs by now :)
    (So perhaps this used to be a more common reference a few decades ago, as the girls really used to say it was for college :evillaugh)

When we practice we use a computer to keep track of every statistic. It tells us a lot of things, including the protest numbers to know if our throws are random or not. We also use motion capture to track our throws. Still rather be lucky than good!

Although my mother knows I'm somewhat of a philanthropist, she does not know how I give to various universities, it is not something a mother should know about her son. :Þ

17. Bo333

Bo333 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    More like a minnow than a whale.

18. Rush

Rush High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    81 rolls, and most of the players didn't have blacks on the deck? That's unreal. I don't understand what people are looking for!

19. Bo333

Bo333 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I used to think that until I look around and see how many people are just playing pass line, without any odds. To these people placing a number bet would be a big deal. And when they do it would never occur to them to press the bet after a win.

One would hope when they see my chips turning black, yellow, then chocolate they would catch on, but it doesn't seem too.

20. Rush

Rush High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

I hear ya. Those people usually say, "You really got lucky there!" I also love the guys who roll for 45 minutes, and I make a killing off of the roll, and at the end......."Hey! How about a little something my way?"

Seriously? I always tell them, "Every bet I made, had a spot for you to place chips, too!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.