1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

The Alaskan front in Vegas! LOL

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by LucyR., Dec 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

I live in So. Calif. and when we get really cold weather we call it the Alaskan front winds. That is what happened in Vegas while I was there
    from Dec. 17th to Dec. 20th.

I flew in on Southwest airline and I could see the snow on the mountains near Vegas. I was prepared with lots of super warm clothes and jacket.

There were some strong winds as we were arriving and the plane started to jump up and down and it gave me a vertigo problem when I got off the
    plane. I walked around like if I was drunk.

When I arrived at the Paris Hotel registration I told the front desk that I was feeling ill with vertigo so they let me register in the Platinum line that was empty.

I was given a really nice spacious room #2357. The room faced the airport and the mountains with some snow on them on Monday. I did want a mountain view of Vegas. The room had a refrigerator that was great.
    A nice flat screen t.v. and two queen beds, a small desk, a table, two lounge chairs. I enjoyed my room.

I changed into my pajamas and got into bed right away and took some anti-
    motion sickness meds and just watched t.v. I stayed in the hotel that night.
    Frugal me had packed some lunch goodies that I had bought at the airport.
    I had fun eating my lunch and snacks.
    I felt better by the evening but it was so windy outside that I decided not to go out in the wind.

Funny situation: The next morning I decided to go to the Fashion Mall. There was a long line of people waiting to buy their bus passes from the
    bus ticket machine. It was really funny because when the bus showed up
    I was the only one that got on the bus and paid with cash. lol.

Maybe they were all going to the North Outlet mall where you have to take the SDX bus. I did notice that a SDX bus did have a bus pass ticket machine
    to buy a bus ticket when I got on the SDX later on in the afternoon.

I like to shop at the Fashion Mall and eat lunch there at the Red Velvet Cafe
    that has great interesting style sandwiches and goodies.
    Then I had fun shopping and being a Looky Loo.

The air felt so fresh and cold and I felt like I was at some winter resort.lol.

This is part #1 of my report. Lucy

2. Dpin300

Dpin300 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Haha I was expecting to read about booze and gambling. No such luck (yet?)

I am curious about the rest of your trip. Thanks for sharing so far.

3. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the start of the report!

I just don't know how you can use "frugal" and "bought at the airport" in the same sentence :) :) :)

4. btodd

btodd High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Too funny, that is exactly what I was thinking!!

5. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    PART - 2 of my Vegas report

The Vegas Airport has "The Great American Bagel Bakery". I bought me some great bagels with cream cheese to take to the Paris Hotel and also
    bought me a breakfast bagel sandwich. It cost less than the Paris Hotel
    sandwiches. Plus they are super tasty.
    I had packed some bananas and apples, sweets for my hotel room. I am frugal that way.

For those of you who don't know me.... I am a single senior old gal who travels solo. I try to be frugal but on this trip I decided to spend some
    money on myself since I donated money to a Charity of a single mom who has 3 kids and needed money to pay her utility bills. I felt so sorry for her.
    My Las Vegas friend who is also a senior helped her out with money too.
    Vegas can be a tough city to live in if you can't financially support yourself.
    She had just had a baby and needed money for the month.

My Vegas senior friend named Bill.... picked me up at my hotel to take me to go eat at "Dona Maria's Tamale Mexican Restaurant". We ordered their
    Special of the day which was a beef tamale with a red sauce on top with beans and melted cheese on top. It also included a fideo soup that I had never tasted in my life. We also ordered a sweet raisen tamale that was
    very tasty.
    After lunch we went to his house located on the north westside. He wanted to show me his house. His house was located near Summerlin and close to
    the mountains that I could see. I love mountains.

He then drove me to the NYNY Happy Hour place at 4p.m. After the meeting
    we went to go eat at the Paris Buffet and meet his adult son John who told me that his dad Bill told him that he really likes me.

After dinner... Bill went home and John went for a walk and I went back to
    my hotel.
    My friend Bill is a very nice senior man but I am not really interested in him because I prefer men who are extroverts.

My friend Bill is a workaholic and he had to work on Wednesday so I was free
    to do whatever I wanted to do so I just went shopping at the Fashion Mall and other places. It was my last day full day in Vegas by myself.

When the bus dropped me off in front of the Paris Hotel I had gloves on and the bus stopped too far from the curb so I held on to the metal bus pole to
    jump off the bus but my gloved hand just sled down the pole and I fell on my butt on the bus. A man quickly picked me up and helped me to get off the bus. He asked me if I was okay. I told him I was okay because it was not
    a hard fall on my butt. I have strong bone density in my body so I was truly okay. I thanked the man and I walked into the hotel.

I think my report is very boring but that is the kind of fun that I enjoy in
    Vegas as an old senior solo gal. I plan to go back for my Birthday in Feb.

I don't gamble, or smoke or drink! But I do have a lot of fun in Vegas
    in my own senior life-style. We all go to Vegas to enjoy it in our own way.
    Like Frank Sinatra song..."I did it my way".lol. Lucy

6. BackInVegas

BackInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Welcome to December in Vegas

I thought it was going to be along the lines of a Full Monty report.

Alaskan Front = Full Monty.

Can be cold and if you get lucky, a cold, miserable, misty rain. Some in January.

Glad you were okay from the bus mishap.

7. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lucy, I just read the price of the Buffet Pass went up. Did you still buy it?

How cold was it, 30's? 40's?

8. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Buffets in Vegas and my Vegas trip report

Hi Candy, I didn't buy the buffet 24hr. pass because I didn't eat much on Monday... and on Tuesday my new friend Bill took me out to Lunch and dinner.
    On Wednesday I went to eat at my favorite Red Velvet Cafe and bought me a super large chicken sandwich. I ate half for lunch and half for dinner.
    The sandwich was sooo tasty and plus I had a refrigerator in my hotel room
    and a coffee maker. I had snacks in my fridge.

I think that even if it goes up in price it is worth it. But now I have Bill and John in Vegas who want to see me and John wants to drive me around next time I visit Vegas. He liked my company too and I liked his company. John plans to invite me to some of the Vegas shows for free. He can get free tickets since he works at the Flamingo.

There was a Ms. Universe Beauty contest on Wednesday night. I didn't care to see it. But I met someone who took pictures with some of the contestants.
    He flew all the way from New York just to see the contest.

It was 30,40,50's degrees during the day and in the night it was in the 30's
    plus the winds. I made it a point not to stay out late at night time because of the cold weather. I had been pre-warned that it would be cold in Vegas.

Plus, sometimes rain would sprinkle during the day like a misty rain. Didn't need an umbrella but it was strange to feel the drops of the lite misty rain once in awhile. I truly enjoyed the winter weather experience in Vegas because it is so different than in Los Angeles, Calif. weather.
    It did feel like Alaskan weather because I have been to Alaska several times.
    I really had fun in Vegas and it feels good that I know my way around Vegas.
    Plus, now I have two new friends that live in Vegas. Lucy

9. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My experience leaving the Paris Hotel

The shuttles drop off passengers on the North side of the Paris hotel. It is a super long walk to the front desk that is located on the south side of the hotel.
    I checked out using the t.v. check-out menu. It worked great because they sent me an e-mail confirming my paid bill.

I called the Bell Captain to send me help with my luggage. A Bell-man showed up to pick-up my luggage. He told me he would take it to their storage area and then deliver it to the North side shuttle area when it was
    time for me to leave on the shuttle.

I said, "NO"! "I want you to walk with me to the Shuttle area with all of my luggage and I don't want it stored." He explained to me that was how they handle the luggage. I got real upset and I told him that I didn't need his service. That I would take my luggage myself to the shuttle area.
    I told him I was handicapped but that I would walk slowly and even if it took me a long time to get across the building I would do it myself.

My main concern was that my shuttle would arrive early and my luggage wouldn't arrive in time. I also thought it was stupid to have my luggage stored when I was ready to leave the hotel.

The man saw how upset I was that he decided to walk with me to the shuttle area. When we got there I thanked him for providing a service that I needed and gave him a tip. He realized how easy it was just to take my luggage to the shuttle area.

My shuttle did arrive 20 minutes early. I was not pre-paid and needed to be there to pay the money. I also had the option to take any shuttle that had space for me. This is why I wanted my luggage with me also.

I met a man waiting for his shuttle and his shuttle was 30minutes late.
    I had been told that many people are dropped off at Bally's and also picked up at Bally's for the Paris Hotel. This is why you will see lots of people walking with their luggage from Bally's to the Paris Hotel.

It is really a strange situation with the shuttles that I found out about.
    This was the main reason I wanted my luggage with me when I left the Paris hotel. Nervous Nelly

10. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Paris Hotel

I forgot to add that the Paris Hotel had a fire drill with lots of loud sounds and information on what to do in case of a fire.

I think they are getting ready for their New Years Eve Fire Works. I heard that all of the CET hotels will have fireworks for New Years Eve this year.

11. Dpin300

Dpin300 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice to read a different TR. Thanks for sharing.

Which 6 languages do you speak?

12. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My trip report and my 6 languages that I know

Hi Dpin300, Whenever I go to Vegas I get to speak some of the languages that I know to the tourists on the buses or at the hotels.

My favorite language is French so it was fun being able to read the French words/signs around the Paris hotel. I think it is a beautiful language.

I like to surprise the Japanese tourists on the buses when I speak to them
    in Japanese language. I studied one year of Japanese in college just for fun.
    They love it when they hear me speak their language. I learned it many
    years ago and I can still remember most of it if I have someone to practice
    the language with.

I am always learning new words in Spanish since different Latin countries
    use different Spanish words. I am almost fluent in Spanish. I have a neighbor that speaks Spanish and my cleaning lady speaks Spanish.

When I use my Spanish language at restaurants or hotels the workers get
    real happy and give me everything I ask for and they love speaking to me
    in their language. They get lonely when they work in places where they hardly meet any Spanish speaking people.

I only get to use my Italian language on the cruise ships when the Captain and his men are Italians.lol. Some of their workers are Portugese so I learned a little bit of that language too.

My English has gotten really bad because I think in the other languages and
    I also mis-spell words because I am thinking differently.
    I do have an accent of some kind. I speak French as if I am Italian from the
    South of France. A Frenchman told me that.

What is really a fun surprise is that the Native-Americans from Vegas and
    the Indians from Canada can tell that I am part Indian because of the sound of my voice they told me. So it is fun when I go to Vegas I get to see my
    Shoshone tribe ancestors in Vegas.

I also know a little bit of Arabic because it is an easy language for me to learn. I wanted to study Chinese in college but I didn't have the time.

Las Vegas is an International world and I love it. Lucy

13. TomTWI

TomTWI High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I used to take shuttles but for the extra few bucks a cab is just way more convenient.

Sounds like you enjoy yourself. Good for you!

14. Blonde_4_ever

Blonde_4_ever "The Welfare Queen of Windsor"

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I never knew Paris had rooms with fridges. I will have to ask for one on my next trip. I can't imagine coming to VEGAS and not gambling at all...but as you say...everyone does Vegas in their own way.
    Thanks for the report.

15. JuliaNPete

JuliaNPete Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lovely Lucy

Lucy-
    We always enjoy your trip reports!
    Thanks for writing--they're always awesome, humorous reads!
    Merry Christmas!
    "Joyeux Noël" !
    "Buone Feste Natalizie" !
    "kurisumasu omedeto" !
    "Feliz Navidad" !

LOL Thanks again!
    Julia & Pete

16. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lucy - I love ya - I think you are awesome. Just always make sure that the friends you meet with are safe. It sounds like you already have with these two.

I met a lovely older gentleman I sat & chatted with for a long time one trip - he works at Red Rock - very nice. It's fascinating if nothing else to sit & talk to locals about the world they live in.

17. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Merry Christmas to you Lucy. I admire your spunk.

18. Kort Jester

Kort Jester Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So happy for you

Glad to hear you are out there doing it your way!

Too bad for Bill, you sound like quite a catch!

19. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you all for your kind words

Merry Christmas to all of you and also a Happy New Year!

Today is the beginning of the happy days of our lives this year. We never
    know what is around the corner. That is what makes life very interesting.
    Having a positive and joyful attitude has helped me a lot in my life.
    I always have my Angels with me everywhere I go in Life. Love, Lucy

20. Dpin300

Dpin300 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Very impressive so many languages. Merry Christmas

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.