1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Thankful

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Dec 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

I'm just back from a trip, and reflecting on how thankful I am.

This was the ninth year I've attended a media golf tourney/boondoggle, now in Tucson. In December 2006, riding a shuttle bus from a resort in Scottsdale to a course in Phoenix, I met a guy from Alberta and another from the Czech Republic. We all were newbies that year. The guy from Canuckistan has become one of my nearest and dearest friends in the cosmos, even if some years we only see each other at this event. Our bud from Prague attends every other year, and it is the most upbeat of reunions when we see him again that first day of the event.

We're lucky. For five or six or seven days each fall, this thing rolls around, and we anticipate it as much as any other event on our respective calendars. Sixty or seventy guys and gals attend every year, and seeing many of the same faces, getting paired up and sent off for laughs and jabs and as it turns out a bit of golf cannot be beat. It is one huge extended family of folks who chose to be together. The circle of friends grows and grows, too, as each year you get some time with a total newbie or a regular with whom you really haven't spent much time. And that it often leads to new leads and work is a nice perk. When does December 2015 roll around?

From Tucson I flew northward for a long weekend of festivities surrounding my nephew's wedding. These family events are always old-school fun, with all the trappings from the welcome dinner for all out-of-towners to the bridesmaids' luncheon to the day-after brunch. This time saw our Greeks marrying another tribe of Greeks, so talk about double the fun and festivity. Both Terri and I have really come to love the Orthodox ceremony. It's not anything we would -- or could, really -- choose for ourselves. Yet at just the cultural level, it is uplifting and special. For those of the faith, a powerful reminder of who and what we are.

And how cool it was that Marcus got his Heisman at about the exact same time as the Ducks-mad couple were doing the traditional walk around the altar!

I had a 15-hour day getting home yesterday, with a flight back to Tucson and a long drive home. I smiled the whole way, simply reflecting on the phenomenal week that was, and knowing how truly lucky I am.

2. Jimbucc

Jimbucc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's good to be able to reflect on things and be thankful. Sometimes we take for granted everything that we have.
    My son married into a Greek family so I know what you are talking about.

3. dooner

dooner High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

4. jerseyguy

jerseyguy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So many things,too many to list. Just to be able to have a middle class retirement and to be relatively healthy at our age is something to be grateful for.
    Last night and this morning was the"annual fight " or putting up the tree. This years event is one we'll remember, at one point I picked up the tree and stand and tossed it out on the patio,but cooler heads prevailed and we laughed about it when we finished.
    Last night I saw the Charlie Brown Christmas was on tv. It sruck me ,how lucky kids here are to be able to enjoy something so innocent these days.

5. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Good topic, Ken
    Thankful.....
    To have my 93 yrs young - father around to see my 3 yr old
    at Christmas time.
    To have a wife that still cares about me....after all these years !
    And last night.....
    My 3 yr old hung ornaments on the tree.......he hung them all in the same spot !
    My wife told me "He woke up asking where you were ?......and wanting to decorate the tree with you !"
    So.....we'll reprise that again, tonight.
    Yes.....I'm thankful.

6. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It always makes me smile when I read one of your posts where you talk about your son Joe.....it shines through how much you are enjoying being his Daddy!

7. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Breanna
    That is nice of you to say.
    I try not to go on + on........and I could !

8. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

As the OP you won't find me standing in the way if you want to go on and on and on. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.