1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Video Poker TDB Strategy

Discussion in 'Video Poker' started by LV2GMBL, Dec 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LV2GMBL

LV2GMBL Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi All! Been to Vegas quite a few times and play mostly VP. My go to game is almost always DDB in quarter denomination. I also like to play some of the other multi hand games like super times pay in nickel denominations. Thinking of trying some TDB on our trip in February. What is the strategy difference from DDB to playing TBD? Thanks! Love reading this forum!

2. TDB Aces

TDB Aces Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    TDB is my favorite game. It's hard to go back to DDB once you hit several bonus quads with kickers. One play that is very hard to get used to is this: When dealt three Aces with a kicker, hold the Aces AND the kicker, drawing only one card. This is the correct strategy and I have picked up the 4th Ace many times this way and getting paid the same as a royal!

The other play is to do the same thing when dealt three 2's, 3's or 4's with a kicker. Hold the three cards and kicker, drawing only one card. I'm not 100% sure that this is the "correct" play but I think it is.

3. BayouBengal

BayouBengal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Check out the wizard of odds for the strategy.

4. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah this is the most accurate way...but apparently I'm a masochist and am looking to pace my drinking tonight... Unfortunately strategy changes significantly based upon flush payout. Also, never short-coin this game EVER, as Aces w/kicker will usually NOT pay 800 for 1.

If the flush pays 6 for 1 - 9/6 TDB (98.15%):

Major changes from 9/6 DDB (not exhaustive):

Full strategy:
    http://wizardofodds.com/games/video-poker/strategy/a-1-b-120-c-1-d-0-d-1-d-1-d-2-d-4-d-6-d-9-d-50-d-80-d-160-d-400-d-800-d-50-d-800/

When dealt trip Aces, 2s, 3s, 4s with a kicker, ALWAYS hold the kicker. If you aren't willing to do this, do NOT play this game.

When dealt Aces or 2s, 3s, 4s full, break the full house with or without the kicker.

All 3 to a Royal that does NOT have both an Ace and Ten in them are better than KK-JJ or 4 to a flush. For AKT, AQT, AJT royal draws, take KK-JJ or 4 to a flush.

An outside straight (2345-KQJT) is now better than a pair of 5s through 10s since trips only pay 2 for 1.

Inside straights with 3 high cards (AKQT, AKJT, etc.) are better than 2 to a Royal.

An Ace is better than QJ offsuit, or KQJ offsuit.

QJT8 is better than QJT offsuit, which are both better than QJ offsuit only.

KQ, KJ offsuit is better than JT suited. (same in 9/5, 8/5 DDB as well)

Three to a flush with one face card are better than one face card only.

Three to a flush with no high cards is better than garbage.

If the flush pays 5 for 1 - 9/5 TDB (97.02%) or lower... and if it's lower, look harder), follow DDB strategy, plus the adjustments above, EXCEPT:

Full strategy:
    http://wizardofodds.com/games/video-poker/strategy/a-1-b-120-c-1-d-0-d-1-d-1-d-2-d-4-d-5-d-9-d-50-d-80-d-160-d-400-d-800-d-50-d-800/

All 3 to a Royal is better than 4 to a flush.

Only KQJ, QJT suited are better than KK-JJ.

KQJ offsuit is better than an Ace.

An Ace is better than a 3 to a SF with zero high cards and 1 gap (e.g 457, 679 suited). (same in 9/5, 8/5 DDB as well)

3 to any regular flush is NEVER correct.

And finally full-pay 9/7 TDB (99.58%) adjustments. Here the 3 to a flush and 4 to a flush holds will be most aggressive.

Full strategy:
    http://wizardofodds.com/games/video-poker/strategy/a-1-b-120-c-1-d-0-d-1-d-1-d-2-d-4-d-7-d-9-d-50-d-80-d-160-d-400-d-800-d-50-d-800/

Follow 9/6 DDB strategy PLUS 9/6 TDB adjustments, EXCEPT:

All 4 to a flush is better than 3 to a Royal and KK-JJ.

3 to a SF with no gaps or 3 to a SF where the # of high cards = # of gaps is better than 55-TT unless pair blocks SF draw.

3 to a flush with 2 Royal cards is better than 2 to a Royal.

2 to a Royal better than 4 to inside straight with 3 high cards (like 9/6 DDB).

3 to a flush with 1 high card is better than JT suited, which is better than QJT and QJ offsuit.

3 to a straight flush no high cards and 2 gaps is better than KQ, KJ and a single face card.

3 to a flush with no high cards is better than an inside straight with no high cards.

I hope that's most of it...Probably better to click the strategy links.

Happy new year to the Eastern Time Zone!

5. LV2GMBL

LV2GMBL Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow! Thanks for the great tips! I will be studying this strategy and look forward to trying this game out. Hope I can report back with a couple of good hits.

6. Minnesota3

Minnesota3 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good luck on TDB! I enjoy the game also and normally play DDB. Just be aware that the variance can be a real killer sometimes with TDB. Variance of 98 on TDB compared to 42 on DDB!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.