1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Tao vs Hakkasan

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by dubcnote, Mar 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dubcnote

dubcnote Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife and I are interested in dining at one of these two. We have never been to either. My wonderings are strictly for the restaurant experience, not the night club. How do these places compare? Ambience ... food ... price ... overall experience. Please share. Thank you.

2. SDSteve

SDSteve Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Someone can reply with better first hand knowledge, but I've eaten at Tao in LV a few years ago and Hakkasan in San Francisco last year. I'm pretty sure the LV and SF Hak are similar. Both have good food. I'd say Tao is a better value. I don't remember the prices being extreme. Hak was very pricey... I had to watch my budget and I was on a generous expense account.

3. sigsev

sigsev Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been to both. Tao skews more Japanese with sushi and rolls and such while Hakkasan is definitely Cantonese cuisine. Hakkasan can be pricier because the overall size of the dishes are smaller, so you may want to order more. Hakkasan also has some big spender items that may or may not be worth it, no idea. For food quality I liked Hakkasan more. An upscale take on Cantonese was more interesting to me than a bunch of rolls and sushi at Tao which you can get at lots of places. I don't remember much of what I ate at Tao, but I remember many dishes at Hakkasan like the Crispy Duck with Kumquat and mustard sauce, the pea shoots (simple but so delicious), the dim sum platter, the braised pork belly, and the Monk Jumps Over The Wall dish, which you have to order 24 hours in advance.

Atmosphere-wise Tao is much more raucous with a very open concept dining room. You can see lots and lots can see you. There are many large parties that will add to the overall din of the room (or maybe that was just us). Its certainly fun and entertaining. Hakkasan is darker, more intimate, with large partitions separating smaller dining "clusters". The room is quite beautiful and the woodwork in between the groups of tables is intricate and very nice to look at. If there's nothing interesting going on in your little cluster you can catch glimpses in between the partitions of other parties which lends a more mysterious atmosphere to the restaurant. They also have excellent cocktails at Hakkasan, can't recall for Tao since all we drank was sake I believe!

If I was rating on dining alone I would rank Hakkasan above Tao. For the club experience I enjoyed Tao more personally.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  4. dubcnote

dubcnote Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is good to know. Thank you both for sharing.

5. PopMegaphone

PopMegaphone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't let the night club fool you - Hakkasan is a legit Michelin star caliber restaurant.

6. schwaiguy

schwaiguy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Beautiful places. Great food. I wanna try Lao Sze Chuan in the Palms. Probably won't be as good, but I'm going alone.

schwaiguy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.