1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Take iPad or Laptop?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Publius, Jun 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Publius

Publius Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I travel I usually mix between taking my laptop or my iPad , but never both. I don't mind taking the laptop out for security but I'm trying to decide this trip as to what I should take.

What's your opinion?

2. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My iPad is permanently attached to my body, so no decision for me :). I find the iPad is less cumbersome to carry than my laptop.

3. MNVegasgal

MNVegasgal Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a lap-top, hubby has an IPAD. We now take just his IPAD. I can't access work from the IPAD which helps to keep Vacation as aVacation. It is much easier to carry the IPAD around, and we are still able to watch movies together on the flight, and read or check facebook on the IPAD.

4. KellyLovesVegas

KellyLovesVegas certified personal trainer/retired space nerd

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I usually take my iPad. For our March Madness trips hubby brings his laptop so he can run his extensive BB model each night. We have a competition to see who does the best over each NCAA tournament. He has won only one of the past 12 years :)

5. da1chifan

da1chifan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know if it is a factor for you or not, but FYI, some hotels only have wired internet connections (not wifi). So, depending on where you are staying, that might be something to consider. :)

6. travelfiend

travelfiend High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have the same situation Publius, last trip I just took my iPad and not once did I wish that I had my laptop. I do find it handy to have 2 apps on iPad. One is tapatalk so easy to use for posting here, and also I have the free version of LogMein, just in case I need access to the laptop back home. Oh yeah, I stayed at Sunset, MB, and Aria, all wireless.

7. daveg000

daveg000 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I take the laptop, the 10" tablet and my phone where ever I travel. My computer case is my carry on, and there is room for the tablet in there, with everything else - it probably weighs 30 lbs, so the tablet doesn't add much and my wife and I can both be connected, the tablet is great for the plane, the laptop better for the room, the phone for on the go.

Don't leave home without them!

8. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a 3 lb 13" ultrabook that I take everywhere. it's the best of both worlds.

9. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

You need to take whichever device serves your needs.

10. Mitkraft

Mitkraft High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm a full on IT nerd and in the past I've always traveled with a laptop. When the netbooks were all the rage I slimmed down to a small ASUS because it was less to carry and it could do everything my laptop could.

All that being said, once I got an iPad I have never looked back. It still isn't a laptop replacement for work, but for travel, browsing at home, and toting around I'm all iPad.

There are a few things it can't do but I'm ok with forgoing those capabilities when mobile and find I hardly miss them. The best part for traveling is, the amount of accessories I drag along for my iPad is minute compared to my laptop. I have the ability to remote desktop into work and home when I need some of the extra capabilities in a pinch. A Bluetooth keyboard can really boost the usability when doing real work. A Bluetooth mouse is even better but requires your iPad to be jailbroken.

As for the "wired Internet only" problem I bought one of these:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005WKIKA0

It gives you the ability to use all your wireless devices on any wired connection. It also works in reverse btw.

11. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife likes the ipad because for her its easier to work with on the plane for watching her shows and movies. She doesn't do much more other than some searches and boarding passes so it works just fine.

12. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have Samsung android tablets, we brought both of them last time. We got a wifi tether thingie for my T-Mobile US phone card (we're Canadian). Very handy.

13. Julie888

Julie888 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ipad because of the size. Love it.

Read books or magazines on the flight.

I tether my phone and use it to checkin for the flight home. My phone alone was too fiddly.

14. atom

atom High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I usually bring both. I have an Acer Chromebook loaded up with Ubuntu Linux that I use for work and the iPad is used for entertainment and for checking stuff out on the go. The Chromebook is so small that I keep both it and the iPad together in one small case. I can use the iPad as a wifi hotspot if I need internet for the laptop.

If I had to choose only one device it would be the iPad, but then I'd at least need a bluetooth keyboard for it.

15. billduhcat

billduhcat Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've done my last 3 trips with only my iPad and iPhone, leaving the laptop at home.

No issues at all keeping up with personal and work email, web browsing, ebooks, movies, etc without the laptop. Unless you would need to do real work = document editing, remote desktop, VPN, etc, there's probably no need for the laptop.

Not having to haul around 3+ lbs of laptop gear is also a plus, nor worry about fitting a larger laptop into a room safe.

The need for wireless is a potential hassle if you're staying in a hotel with wired Internet only in the room, but there are probably enough free wireless locations to make that not too much of a problem, or get a portable hotspot like a previous post recommended.

Wifi in aria and vdara are excellent btw, if you're looking for some hotels that are iPad friendly.

Big Game 2017 == Vegas XXVI
  16. jmn3

jmn3 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I gave up bringing the laptop this year simply because I can't stand lugging it on and off of the plane and having to deal with it at security. My combination of iPad and iPhone and wireless keyboard for the iPad worked perfectly. I also have the 3G iPad so even if I didn't have Wifi in the room (which I did with the resort fee at Bally's), I could connect using the 3G as long as Verizon service was available.

17. HOUtoLAS

HOUtoLAS Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Both, if you could have to use the laptop.

I take my laptop and leave it in the travel bag, where the iPad slips into as well. I use the iPad exclusively, unless I have to remote into work then I have to use the laptop.

Not the either/or answer you wanted, but how much extra space does an iPad take up.

18. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Used to carry the laptop. Now I don't for a short vacation -- just the IPad

19. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Waiting for delivery of my iPad that is supposed to come today.

Do you need to remove that going through TSA security, the same as I have to with my laptop?

When I bought my laptop I went with the extended life battery option and man that sucker is heavy!

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  20. Mitkraft

Mitkraft High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The official rules state that you shouldn't have to but its not quite understood/practiced at all airports. Same for ereaders.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.