1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

SWA, senior fares and points?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Joe, Jun 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've got a couple of more years to senior fares on SWA but my brother is there. Apparently you can't book senior fares using points. Has that been your experience?

After he told me this today and I checked it out for the hell of it on an Oct flight. Sure enough, even though I selected two seniors, when I selected points it defaulted back to the full price (in points) no discount.

That kind of sucks!

Christmas
  2. PPtraderal

PPtraderal Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As a new senior, I can tell you that a Southwest Senior Ticket is a fully refundable ticket. I priced our recent trip both ways and the senior was always higher. I used the normal web fare and added the early bird. The fully refundable part generally pops in the site when you click the senior tab. Hope this is what you were looking for. AL

3. Geogran

Geogran OTD Tea Sipper

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We never use the Senior Fare option (even though we are eligible) because the wanna getaway and other fares are so much cheaper, in our personal experience.
    And if fare is not refundable, it's easy to change or cancel and use the credits on a later/future flight. SWA holds your credit towards a future flight, just keep track of the cancelled confirmation number to use towards your next flight or call and SWA will do it for you.
    Plus you can book wanna get away flights using points after you've earned enough for a flight.

Hope this helps - if I've confused you - sorry....

4. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the replies. Interesting that the Senior Fares are higher than the want to get away fares.

PPtraderal. By fully refundable, you just mean the standard SWA policy of cancelling and then getting a one year credit for a future flight? Or, cancelling a Senior Fare actually gets your cash back?

But back to the original question...it appears you can't use points to book a senior fare.

Christmas
  5. PPtraderal

PPtraderal Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When we booked a multi city ticket two years ago, PHL to PHX to LAS and back to PHL, which you cannot book on line, the agent told me a booked senior fare is fully cash refundable. Of course the senior fare was higher than the wanna get a away fare. We always use the wanna get away and take the early bird option. When I looked at the current fares it seems you cannot book a senior fare using points. I guess you might have ti call them and verify that. If you try to book a multi-city trip it seems you have to book each segment as a one way fare deal. So it's better to call for multi city.

6. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK, thanks PP. Still two years from that senior rate, but I was inquiring for my older brother.

Christmas
  7. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I used to check into them for my grandmother but it looked like they were no savings for more hassle because it mention needed verification.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.