1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

SWA question

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by mikeinct, Apr 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikeinct

mikeinct Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Three years ago I signed up for SW credit card and got 50,000 free miles.I got my two trips from the card and I cancelled the card in Jan 2014. My question is can I sign up again and get the free miles.thanks in advance.

2. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not normally, but there are 4 versions of the card, so apply for a different one and you can. In fact, apply for 2 different ones, get 100,000 miles, and you are only 10,000 away from CP for a year.

3. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mike, go ahead and apply again, the worst case is that they will deny you the 50k offer if it still exists.

I've done it with United, waited 3 years and reapplied for their cc and got miles (usually 35k) out of it.

I did notice some changes in the cc offers though, many airline cc's require you to charge a certain amount before you get your miles. Hawaiian air cc requires you to charge $1000 the first 90 days before you get your 35k miles. United has a similar offer and I think SW probably has the same. So if you are planning on charging $1k in 3 months it might be a good idea to get a cc that will give you miles for charging things you were going to charge anyway.

I picked up the Hawaiian air cc last month. I already charged over $1k so I got my 35k miles already. I used the cc to book a June vegas trip (from Hawaii it was close to $550) and also paid my annual vehicle registration fee and regular charges so that quickly got me over the hump. No problem since I was going to charge those things anyway. :evillaugh

4. ams722

ams722 Side Bet Shunner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've done it with the Delta AMEX before. I had it for a year. Cancelled it right before the $95 yearly fee was about to kick in. Waited another full year, then signed up again. Got 30,000 bonus miles two times out of it. Which I used for two free flights. :)

5. Darreningreenwood

Darreningreenwood Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just be a little careful about applying, getting, and cancelling a card, and then repeating the process. That does affect your credit score in a few small ways, such as having an lower average age of credit (the longer you've had lines of credit open, the better your score), or the ding's that a credit check puts on your score. Not end of the world, but it's one reason I haven't applied for the new TR Visa.

But I'm very paranoid about my score, your situation may differ.

6. mikeinct

mikeinct Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks everyone for your help. The last time i saw the 50,000 mi offer was at the airport, Mccarran on my way home last july. I'll look for them this year.

7. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

I'm on my second RR credit card in a year. As long as they keep sending me applications after I cancel out, I'm taking advantage of the 50,000 points.

8. feeltheheat

feeltheheat Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Southwest has/had this 50k points offer on following chase cards

$99 RR premium
    $99 RR premium business
    $69 RR plus
    $69 RR plus business

you want one business and one normal card. one for $69 and one for $99.
    you want to reach both bonuses in the first cycle of the new year and get as quickly as possible to 110k points to reach companion status.
    nice feeling to have 110k+ miles sitting there and you get 2for1 for nearly 2 years.
    golden rule:
    dont reach your bonus before the year ends!!!!!!!!

skol

9. StephGrahamKC

StephGrahamKC Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ok, so could you explain a little more about reaching companion status and the time frame. It sounds great, but you lost me, LOL.

10. topcard

topcard Older than the Stardust!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm on my second card. My understanding is that you have to wait 6-months after cancelling in order to be considered a "new" card-member again - and the bonus miles/points are restricted to "new card-members". So, I waited, re-applied and it worked just fine.

I've also read about the impact that cancelling cards has on one's credit rating - but unless you're about to take out a mortgage, I don't think it dings you all that much.
    My credit rating is still right about 700, (last time I checked) and I've cancelled plenty of cards over the years and and currently have 5 different 'reward' type cards. Of course, I pay them all off each month and don't ever carry a balance anymore, so that may help.

Finally have the room booked! Look for me Feb 21-23
  11. feeltheheat

feeltheheat Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    so what dont you get?
    each credit card gets you 52k rapid reward points RRP (50k bonus + 2k for spending $2000 to reach bonus). 2cards x 52k reward points = 104k RRP.
    you have 6k to go to reach CS.
    you can get the 6k by spending, transfer points from partner reward systems, buying airline tickets and so on.

12. StephGrahamKC

StephGrahamKC Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It was the time period but after reading it on the actual southwest website I understand the full year and next year.

13. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not so sure you're correct on this... there's something called tier-qualifying points and you have to accumulate 110,000 of those for Companion Pass status. I think the points from the credit-card are categorized differently. I think...:ssst:

14. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is tier-qualifying, and companion pass qualifying. CC points do not count toward tier, but do count toward companion. Same with car rentals, and most of the other earning opportunities.

15. feeltheheat

feeltheheat Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    tatterdema gave you the answer. ty.
    i read A LOT about these SWA cards last year and we went for it. we reached the 110k pretty easy earlier this year. after you reach your 110k points you have to name your companion. i think you can change the name up to 3 times.
    we got the pass within 10days, but we were able to book earlier.
    if you cant get the 6k together, you can also buy and transfer points from choice hotels.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.