1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

SWA point conversion

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by bubbakitty, Apr 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We always fly "Want to get away" fares which are 6 points to the dollar. I had understood it was going up to 8 points to the dollar April first. Just looked today and it is still at 6. Does anyone have an update as to the scheduled change? Probably got my dates mixed up is all as I am sure I understood it to be going up. Best case is it is NOT going up....thanks and sorry if this was posted and I missed it....

2. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think it did go up, all of the cheapest fares I usually research went form around 4960 pt's to about 5700 recently, I believe alot of people got e-mails for a 20% discount when purchased with pt's as well, which would negate the whole increase.

Th important thing is that they did "cheapen" the value of pt's thus increasing fares, it also means their credit cards are no longer worth what they were too, hopefully it doesnt stick but I doubt it.

3. pbrehob

pbrehob Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I believe that the change is in using points to buy flights.

It used to take 60 points per flight dollar. It is now 70 points per flight dollar.

You still receive the same 6 points per dollar when you purchase flights.

4. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's my understanding as well... the value of each point is now less.

5. da1chifan

da1chifan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, it went up April 1. A flight I had been watching went from 4700 points to 5700 points even though the cash price stayed the same. Looks like each flight has gone up at least 1000 points. I booked an August flight for 7700 points before April 1 though and it happened to go down to 5700 yesterday, so that at least helped (although I know it should have been 4700).

6. bubbakitty

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Merlin. One fare I looked at was 165.00 but came out to 10,028 points.....
    10,028 divided by 60= 167.14 $
    80= 125.35 $

I know they back out some of the taxes and fees but not the TSA fee per landing. So I am also supposing it HAS gone up to the 80 pts per 1 $ applied. I just didn 't see anything about it clearly stating such.

As an aside, I remember having to get 19,200 pts or close to that for a round trip previous to the points but that was also for anytime anywhere......which is what I always try to compare to although I don't get the anytime (anywhere is always the same....LV)

7. da1chifan

da1chifan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is this true across the board though? I booked a flight at 5700 points that had a cash price of $104...

8. bubbakitty

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ok at 70 pts it comes out more reasonable 143.22 $ which makes more sense than either of my earlier figures...

9. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It is 70 points per flight dollar spent excluding taxes and TSA fee. The TSA fee is paid on top of the points, the other taxes and fee's are waived. Earning points did not change, same amount as always, so the bonus anniversary points no longer cover the cost of the credit card.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.