1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

SWA early bird laid an egg...

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by sapphirevegas, May 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sapphirevegas

sapphirevegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When we booked our Sept flight, we noticed that SWA kicked its early bird up to $12.50 each way. I bit the bullet and did not get it just on principle. I know it is only an extra $5.00 each from the old price, but last time we got it we were still in B anyway due to a large amount of business class ticketholders. Why bother. I will just camp at the computer and hope for the best the day before. And take a valium for the claustrophobia. :ssst:

wedding trip!!!
  2. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I asked a Customer Service person once if it made a difference when you bought your ticket with EBCI. She said assignments are made prior to general assignment (36 hours) with the earlist tockets sold by date. I always feel good about the EBCI exp. for the return flight since LV is such a large airpost. Our airport in Manchester, NH is tiny by comparison, and the flights I take generally originate here. However, more times than not when I get talking to people in the boarding lines they are often ahead of me and booked sometimes a week or two before the flight.

I was aware of the price increase of EBCH and I booked in early april and got A56. That is the highest number A pass I have ever had! Makes you wonder! Before the days of EBCI I did as well.

Jimbo338

3. Buddha

Buddha VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We usually know well in advance when we will be taking our trips to Vegas. So, since we always use Southwest Airlines, I keep close track of when SWA opens up their new reservation windows ... often 6 to 7 months before our trip dates. I am then at the computer early on the first morning those new SWA dates open up, booking our flights, and also the EB boarding, and knowing that there won't be many people ahead of me booking those same flights that far in advance. Our EB results have then been very good, as our last 3 trips have resulted in boarding passes no higher than A-20. :thumbsup:

4. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always book just the return flight so I don't have to worry about being online when on vacation.

There are several theories about EB and position. One is do it early like Buddha, another is that it goes by your ticket price. I don't know what is true.

I do know when I sit by the computer and book our outbound flight, my boarding position as my wife's companion is always much worse than hers, even if I do mine first. So I think there is some validity to the ticket price theory, since mine only costs $5. Same for EB which I purchase months ahead of time. I get the crappy position. Sometimes 30 different than hers.

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  5. Buddha

Buddha VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

A couple of our flights back in Sept. & Nov. (2012) were "free", as we used our Rapid Rewards points, and still had "EB" # 19 & 20. Not sure if that's any different than paying cash.

6. Kc4400

Kc4400 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have had mixed results with EB. Do it now mostly for the convenience. Have had anywhere from high A and have ended up with some B. travel with my brother, so we just grab first two aisle seats available. On a trip to NY last year, they just called all A group at once, I let SWA know and they sent $50 luv voucher. There were B and C, so it was not a lightly filled flight. Wouldn't have bought the EB if I knew they were going back to cattle call that day :)

7. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    "Just called all A group at once?" What? No line up? Just... OK, everybody with an A card c'mon over! I'm not sure I understand...

8. xmarksx

xmarksx VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh I was just reminded of the nightmares associated with the old plastic cards. UGH, hated that and stayed away from SWA until this new policy.

9. Sam in Ut

Sam in Ut High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah we got hit with the new $12.50 EB charge a couple weeks ago. I decided to buy them for both to and from Vegas for $50. Got A 25, 26 from SLC and A 45, 46 from Vegas. We thought it was worth the money. To each their own. Lol

10. Alhanalasa

Alhanalasa Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I went for the EB fee as well, even at the price increase. The flights themselves were roughly half what I paid last year, so the extra $10 for EB didn't really phase me. Even though I also fly out of the tiny (and easy to navigate) Manchester NH airport, I just feel better having it taken care of. The day before the trip is always full of errands, and I just don't think I'd be prompt in checking myself in.

-Jen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.