1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

SWA Bump

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by teacher1, Feb 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teacher1

teacher1 Low-Roller

Well, we have flown to LV at least once a year since 1991--starting on charter flights early, then Allegiant or whoever was cheapest. Because of the free 50k points offer--we both took advantage of it--we started flying SWA a couple years ago. It means going to a larger city airport, but for free, we do it. Twelve years ago I retired (yea!) but my wife continued to work (her choice!) until 2010, so neither of us has a regular commitment.

Anyway, we had promised to take our two grand kids to LV when they turned 21. In December our granddaughter turned, so we offered and she took us up on it. Her mother, our oldest, decided to go with us. They had time restrictions because grand daughter had to study to take RN state boards and daughter had to get back to work. So we booked SWA Thurs thru Sunday in late January, we live in different cities, so we would have two cars at the airport.

As soon as we booked it, I said to my wife that we should have booked them back on Sunday, and us later in the week. Anyway, we did not cancel and rebook, but did mention it to our daughter sometime while we were in LV. She suggested asking about a bump at McCarran. So we go to the airport on Sun, check in, go to the gate and I head to the restroom--ok, I'm old. When I get back to the gate, the wife is standing at the desk. When I ask daughter if there is a problem, she says "no, we volunteered you guys for a bump and they just called her to the desk".

Oh! Wife comes back and says, they offered us a bump. We can fly any time they have two seats--which they had two hours from now or any day later in the week . . . and they will give us $1069 in SWA vouchers for future flights within the next year. So we book a flight back on Wed, get on the phone and get a room Downtown, wave goodbye to the offspring and head for the WAX.

The only issue was that our luggage--other than our carry on--had already been loaded for St. Louis and he could not get it back. Actually, they offered to have it shipped back to LV on Mon and deliver it to our hotel if we wanted. We just decided to let our daughter get the luggage and take it to her home. We checked in DT, took the Sam's bus to Boulder, where we hit the WalMart for toothpaste, underwear, and other essentials. Spend a relaxing three days DT running down free play coupons and hitting the good VP and buffets. Nice break from running the kids on the Strip. Flew back Wed, direct flight, with over a grand in SWA vouchers! How they arrived at $1069 is beyond me--didn't seem to be related to what the original fare had been. But it seemed more than fair to us--actually, in this specific case, we would have done it for free just to get the extra time in LV.

Like my second daughter said when we got back "nice to be retired!"

2. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    $535/ticket is about the full-retail for the flight from Lambert (It's $522 for my Wednesday departure right now). Sweet deal!!! I'm shocked they gave you that much! We booked our outbound flight for $114 two weeks ago...lol

3. admmr

admmr Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice play there! I will have to remember that. :nworthy:

4. bubbakitty

bubbakitty native Texan; born and bred.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Checked in on February 4 about 10 for an 11:30 flight to San Antonio but was offered a flight at 12:30 (same--non-stop) for the price of my ticket and voucher for future flight. Used points and hoped to have them re-applied to my account as to the cost of my flight and did receive 268 $ for future travel. Wrote SWA and asked about the re-depositing of my points used for the way back and have heard but not finalized response. I used 8,250 points each way so regardless am ahead as I spent less than that for the R/T originally.
    Very smooth and got home 1.5 hours later than expected.

(as I was boarding I heard the call for a volunteer on this flight to agree to fly in about 2 hours for future travel vouchers......didn't want to push the envelope over the edge)

as an aside, many years ago (in college) some students would make spring break money booking one way flights from Austin to Houston / Austin to Dallas tickets and sit on a Friday afternoon taking bump after bump since all of those flights were well known to be oversold as the legislative powers that be -- wanna be -- weren't but thought they were would head home......this was back in the 24 - 39 $ one way era when a "moderate" (at that time) amount of money could be rolled into r/t to Colorado skiing for 2 in a couple of weekends at the worst....

1st Super Bowl DT...Panthers / Browns no doubt
    Spur of momento trip
  5. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

Did the same thing on Wednesday and rebooked for Thursday. What was great about it was I originally wanted to stay an extra day in sunny Vegas anyway. Gotta LUV SWA.

6. joshrocker

joshrocker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Congrats! i've always wanted to take them up on a bump but never have. I just want to get there!!

For a thousand bucks though? I might give up a few hours.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.