1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

SWA and when do travel credits expire?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Joe, Jun 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know,just call them but I have been on the phone with them five times today changing flights and I'm tired of being on hold.

Now I have travel credits.

Travel credits from rebooking have an expiration date. Does all travel have to be completed by the expiration date, or just the departure date?

I don't have enough credits for a free round trip, but as long as I book the outbound flight using the credits and before they expire, I should be good, right?

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  2. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Your departure has to be before (actually not sure if you can use them ON the expiration date).

So yeah, if you book a one way departure before the expiration date, you're all set.

One other thing to keep in mind with travel funds is that if you start combining them from different cancelled trips in order to pay for new bookings, the oldest expiration date gets carried forward.

Example:

You have $100 in travel funds that expire 1/1/2014
    You have $50 in travel funds that expire 6/1/2014

You find a flight in November that costs $200
    You apply the $150 in travel funds, and pay $50 more on your credit card.

All $200 of that now has an expiration date of 1/1/2014.

3. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks! Once we book a flight, we are pretty much locked into it, so no worries there.

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  4. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One other tip:

If you're in a situation where you've done rebooking with travel funds such that you've got them all applied to a flight, and they expire soon after that flight, it's probably not to your advantage to rebook again if you happen to see a lower fare.

Because you'll get fewer Rapid Rewards points on the lower fare, and the excess travel funds are just going to expire unused anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.