1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

SWA and plane change?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Dec 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We try and only fly non-stop but for an AZ trip my only option was a 6AM return flight. It is non-stop, but I'm seriously considering changing it to a one stop that leaves at 11 AM:thumbsup: I'm not a fan of getting up at 3AM.

There is a plane change involved in Kansas City, MO with 40 minutes between flights. How does that work with SWA? I've never done a connecting flight with them.

Do we end up boarding last on the plane and possibly not even getting two seats together?

Does purchasing EB on the first leg help any on the connection?

I'm familiar with SWA boarding and it seems if we get to the gate about ~30 ahead of time, they'll already be boarding C group. Can we skip ahead with EB?

Sorry for all the questions, but if this doesn't work out, I'll never hear the end of it.:evillaugh

EDIT: Just though of this. Does EB for the first leg even count on the second leg, or would I have to do it for both? And would that accomplish anything if we're getting there with less than 30 minutes to departure?

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  2. merlin

merlin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You will get both boarding passes when you check in for your original flight, so if you're early to check in you should get good boarding #'s for both flights. Most likely your flight to kansas city will arrive early, so you should get to board like usual.

3. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Kansas City flight is stopping to discharge and pick up passengers and i would assume the next stop is LV. Number of seats and location and availability of 2 seats together is luck of the draw. However, EBCI enables you to get assigned place in line. So your chances are better but don't arrive late; there is no skipping ahead.

Jimbo338

4. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Other way around, we are leaving Vegas and the one stop is in KC. By skipping I meant if we did EB and get to the gate late because our incoming flight isn't on time, can we at least jump ahead of the Bs & Cs if we have an A and they are still boarding those letters.

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  5. Gregsmt

Gregsmt Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes you can jump ahead of the B and C's. if you get there and they are loading people with later numbers than you, you can load when you get there. It just happened to me 2 weeks ago.

6. mckevin32

mckevin32 Low-Roller

Assuming your flight is on time 40 minutes is loads of time. MCI is a small airport, you should be able to get from any gate to pretty much any other in 5 min or less.

7. bubbakitty

bubbakitty native Texan; born and bred.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Done this before Joe. Think for a moment. You are checking in for a flight from Las Vegas much earlier than those originating in KC to fly onward. You get both boarding passes at the time you check in for the LV departure. Caution; you will be happy with A26 / 27 but realize everyone on the flight OUT of KC may not be getting off the plane. So 26 could be with 30 people already on the plane (?). If possible check where the flight comes from arriving in KC that you are connecting to. If it originates east of Chicago, most likely all would be getting off as otherwise they flew to KC to turn back toward the east. But I agree, getting up at 3 A.M. Yikes....might as well take the red-eye...Good luck....

1st Super Bowl DT...Panthers / Browns no doubt
    Spur of momento trip
  8. numeno

numeno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You are able to board as long as you are boarding after the numbers ahead of you have boarded. If you have A56 for example, and get to the gate as they are boarding B3, you can jump in line. You may get some odd looks, but southwest will let you.

The ONLY thing EB does is checks you in early. In no way does it gaurantee seats. You can do EB, sit in a bar and miss the A/B boarding and you are still boarding with the Cs. There is no such thing as EB just for the first leg. You pay for EB for the whole flight, not per leg.

Tough call on this one. I also wouldn't like a 6am out of Vegas. I hate that about as much as a sub 60 minute layover. If you are doing EB and get an A boarding pass for the flight out of Vegas, you should be able to sit fairly close to the front. In which case you are off the plane pretty quickly to make it to your next one. I would probably take the risk just because of how much I hate 6am flights out of Vegas. Small risk, but still a risk.

9. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    6 am? On the last day in Vegas?

I have almost never gone to bed before 3am on the last night.

This is not the most ideal situation, but the timing of it means you would have to leave the tables at 3:30 - 3:45am to go get your stuff out of the room, and make it to the airport by 4:30 am. This would give you time to eat something and make your flight. No stress.

The problem with that is HAVING to stay up as opposed to just end up doing it.

10. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maybe 20 years ago, but no longer do I have the stamina for an all nighter.

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.