1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

SW fined for deceptive ads

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by makikiboy, Jun 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To those of you who grumbled about SW's $59 fare sale, they were fined $200k for the deceptive ads. They had a $59 sale but no seats were available at that price from certain cities.

https://news.yahoo.com/southwest-fined-200-000-deceptive-tv-ads-211048277.html;_ylt=A0SO80O6C45T4mEApz9XNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE0MTg1YjE2BHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMTAEY29sbwNncTEEdnRpZANTTUU1MzhfMQ--

"Southwest Airlines is being fined $200,000 for advertising a fare sale too good to be true.

The U.S. Department of Transportation said Thursday that in TV ads last October the airline promised flights from Atlanta to New York, Chicago and Los Angeles for just $59 — but didn't make any seats available at that price.

The government said that Southwest's ads were deceptive and violated rules on advertising of airline fares.

Southwest was also required to pay an extra $100,000 that had been suspended after a similar offense last year".

Nah, $200k is a drop in the bucket to them. And the $59 special wasn't available from most cities IMHO. :Þ They keep having these $59 sales but you hardly see $59 rates during the "sale".

2. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's about {f-bomb}ing time!

Southwest is one of my fave airlines to fly, but those ads annoy me. They hawk those low fares but NEVER NEVER EVER do they appear when I check prices on their web site!

3. oldcrabtom

oldcrabtom Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They (SWA) have a good sale going on right now........CMH/LAS $149 !

4. Mitkraft

Mitkraft High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow that's very interesting. I love SWA also and I always figured that when the sale said "as low as $59" that was for certain distances and that the distances I was looking at were just longer. Its interesting to hear that they didn't even have flights to the advertised places at the advertised prices. Shame on you SWA! Don't screw up a good thing by being stupid and greedy. I don't want to loose you as an option.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.