1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Survived my first range session of the year

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by klawrey, Mar 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. klawrey

klawrey High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    With the frigid snow filled winter here in Michigan and the nearest golf dome about 40 minutes away it's been tough to practice much this winter. I usually like to hng up the clubs for at least 2-3 months to recharge anyways. Well today we cracked 50 for the first time this year and Vegas golf is just 15 days away so I headed to the outdoor range to hit for the first time since October.

It went well for the first session of the year. Limited myself to a couple wedges and an 8 iron to work on getting the rhythm back. Ended the session by knocking 2 of the last 5 balls off a 3x3 target 75 yards out.

I've been in the gym trying to stay in shape and golf ready but man after about 85 balls today my body is feeling it a little bit. Glad to be back out swinging and ready to put it together in Vegas in a couple weeks. Might try and get back to the range Thursday as it's supposed to be 57 and sunny. Thankfully we seem to have survived the winter, bring on spring and summer and all the golf we can handle!

2. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Still have 2 ft of snow on the ground --
    Driving range is 5 mins away.......but also still covered in white.
    I've got an iron + plastic balls at my job.
    I go in early some mornings ---
    place the plastic balls on my square rubber mat -
    and get some swings in !!!
    Of course, I'm off the security cameras view !!...ha-ha !!
    The idea is just to get my lower back into shape for the real thing.

3. jerseyguy

jerseyguy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm chomping at the bit also,but my back is still tender from the bad fall I took a couple of weeks ago. I have a trip to SC planned for mid April so I want to slowly get my game sharp and my lower back muscles limber again. so I'll start by warming up in the garage before iI go out and hit balls.

4. klawrey

klawrey High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah my back is roaring today and I'm only 27 :confused2:

Going to focus a little more on my lower back over the next couple weeks.

5. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

I went to the range last week and hit a medium bucket. Way more swings than even my bad swing requires in the course of a round, and I play a good number of rounds. And I felt it.

Yoga yoga yoga. For a regular Joe or Joanne, forget going to the range and hitting 100 7-irons because that's the club you know always looks good in flight. For every one of the few minutes we actually spend practicing, spend that time stretching, doing yoga on a regular basis. Our bailing-wire-and-bubble-gum swings will yield better results if we are freer and looser than if we do that golf stuff and try (and fail) to make it work like Rory. Any avid golfer has a grooved swing. Misfiring at times, perhaps, but grooved. And all of those will get better with better posture and less tension. (Yes, attentive practice does work; beating balls and hitting 10 identical chips is not attentive practice.)

I've shared it before: One day I asked Kevin Streelman, Brandel Chamblee and a Symetra player/instructor what one thing they'd recommend to the likes of us knowing we probably honestly only have time or commitment to do one thing to aid the game, and all said the same thing: Yoga.

6. jerseyguy

jerseyguy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds good Ken,I'll have a strawberry,low -fat frozen is good also.

7. klawrey

klawrey High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I spend a lot of time stretching and in the gym working on fitness. After my health scare with cancer, I am much more conscious of my health and physical well-being. I have always been interested in yoga but never really new how to get started with that. Just show up at a yoga place? I know I need a mat but that's it right? May have to seriously consider that this summer...

8. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

It can be as simple as following what you see online to taking classes.

Have you ever done a Titleist Performance Institute assessment? Aside from being quite humbling, the poses/exercises/stretches they tailor for each from their larger armory of goodies is pretty awesome. I of course am a typical lazy golfer so I dust 'em off but infrequently. But there is no question it can yield dividends if more fully embraced.

And as a corollary to my practice/play/workout question to the pros above, within that if-you-only-do-one realm of stretching/yoga/fitness, you also can target the key impediment(s). My #1 hoodoo is hip flexibility. That as much as my general level of sloth contributes to my #1 swing (posture, actually) flaw. I mean, plenty of fat guys have proven you can win on tour, even if it's not the best formula for success.

9. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Better than Yoga........for me........Massage !
    One physical therapy - last year - the woman therapist
    gave me a 10 minute massage.......my body just melted !
    That 10 mins was better than anything I did for myself
    in 10 weeks of back exercises.
    The closest i get to Yoga is lying on my back - on the floor.....knees bent.
    It's amazing how kinked my spine + back muscles are !

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.