1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

'Surf...the Musical' at Planet Ho

Discussion in 'Shows & Entertainment' started by GREGRIO, Jul 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GREGRIO

GREGRIO Tourist

Man!...I GET AROUND and hoped this Show would entertain big time but I felt
    I was SHUT DOWN...and so wanted it to be FUN FUN FUN!

It has lots of potential...the set is SURFIN' USA colorful/bright, a couple
    great old LITTLE DEUCE COUPE cars and a great vintage T-Bird that daddy takes away...
    A neat ferris wheel effect during one scene...You certainly couldn't complain about the
    DO YOU WANNA DANCE energy from the young cast, they really give it their all and
    want the Show to work but...unlike Mamma Mia which I thought/hoped Surf 'might' have some
    similarities to, it didn't...DON'T WORRY BABY, I'm hoping the creator of 'Rock Of Ages' will
    DO IT AGAIN and tweak the hell out of this Show for the better. GOD ONLY KNOWS right now
    the two lead characters had as much appeal to me as Ken and Barbie, come on SURFER GIRL,
    you can do better than this!

The story is simple, no surprises, HEROES AND VILLAINS, and in general...pretty weak.
    Boy has girl, boy leaves town. Girl hooks up with bad guy...boy gets homesick and
    comes home and tries to win girl back. I'm not giving anything away, there's more,
    but it just didn't generate any SURFIN' SAFARI for me...HELP ME RHONDA! Each scene seems to be
    an excuse to play another Beach Boys song...vague as it may be (the scene/reason that is)

Beach Boys music...(vocals actually) are some of the hardest songs to pull off if
    the harmonies aren't right on. Surf gets close, but it only takes that one high
    part that... just doesn't quite hit it, to spoil the whole thing and...this happened a bit
    too many times for me.............(if you want me I'll be) IN MY ROOM.

Surf could be lots of fun...
    Would some changes in the cast make a difference?...maybe. The two lead characters
    (so far...) sure didn't create any emotion inside of me.
    The only character in the cast that seemed 'real' to me was the ol' guy that runs the surf shop.
    Probably the oldest cast member, his lines and delivery were more believable than anyone
    else considering what he had to work with.
    (sorry, I'm not trying to spoil the...GOOD VIBRATIONS)

Remember, this is the same theater where 'Peepshow' happens. There's a front section with small
    cocktail tables around the center 'catwalk'....don't think ya wanna sit there, nobody is takin' off
    their cloths and the view and effects will look much better further back.
    My night, there were only two couples seated in the front section and they moved before showtime.

Then there's the upper rear...that's good.
    I chose 1st row, SECTION 102, ROW I, SEAT 113...$117.40 (far too much $)

Surf isn't a total wipeout...I would like to think the creator of 'Rock Of Ages' will see the weak parts,
    fix 'em, add/delete some others and along with all those great Beach Boys songs...maybe... end up
    with a real fun Show...WOULDN'T IT BE NICE!

2. sammasseur

sammasseur VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cleverly written review, Greg. Sorry that it didn't turn out to be a blast, but thanks for taking one for the team. As I had mentioned previously, the preview clips alone sent me running for the lifeguard station.

3. westie

westie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  4. Barney Rubble

Barney Rubble Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I still hold out hope it will last and I'll be able to see it. I guess it's just a matter of taste. I know a lot of people like absinthe and to me that is the worse show I've ever seen in my life. Got free tickets and still wanted to ask for a refund for the 90 minutes of my life stolen. Viva Elvis got trashed by many on this board and I would see it again if it wasn't leaving. Just I'm just differnet.

5. utwofan

utwofan Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As Barney Rubble said people have different tastes. Personally I thought Viva Elvis was one of the most diappointing shows I have seen in Las Vegas. Not necessarily from the performances but more from my expectations of there being more connection with Elvis throughout the show.

With Surf, my expectations would be for some up beat musical numbers that would get the people out of their seats but I guess that isn't going to happen. Still with cheap tickets available on Travelzoo.com for $39 and $49 for choice of seats I think it will be worth my own review. Hopefully, the show will be tweaked enough by September.

Also on the American Express Facebook page there is an offer for $25 statement credit for purchase of $75 or more on Ticketmaster.com which reduces the overall cost even more. Takes a few steps to sync your Amex Card and verifying receipt of Amex email that it was accepted (before purhcase on Ticketmaster) but not too bad. Took me about 7 minutes total to sync my card, get the verification email, purchase a gift card (I already had tickets), receive the ticketmaster confirmation and within a minute or two a confirmation of the $25 statement credit from Amex.

6. GREGRIO

GREGRIO Tourist

I'm not holding my breath for the music part of 'Surf' to
    improve much and...it's not as much the music as much
    as the vocals. The Beach Boys music isn't that hard to
    play and the band that's there pulls it off okay.
    The weakest part are the lead actors. Yeah, they can
    carry a tune just fine, they just have no emotion or
    feeling they're putting into the songs. Maybe that will change,
    but they just don't seem commited to their rolls and putting
    across the message in the vocals.

7. kevgret

kevgret Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
  8. sammasseur

sammasseur VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
Tags: