1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Suggestions for Birthday Dinner

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by eliza, Sep 7, 2016.

1. eliza

eliza Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll be in Vegas shortly after my 34th (where does the time go?) birthday. I'd like to take one night to treat myself to a nice birthday dinner and would welcome any suggestions. Criteria:
    • Price range: up to $300 all in (dinner, wine/cocktails, tax, service)
      • I would be totally fine if there is something that fits the bill that is cheaper (considering Palmer's prix fixe, but I've already done that). Not necessarily looking to spend the whole $300 --- that's just my ceiling (unless something truly spectacular lurks just above my budget)
    • Strip or Downtown preferred
    • I'm not huge on dressing up - so somewhere that I could go to in black pants and a nice blouse and not be totally out of place.
    • I'll be dining alone - bonus points to somewhere that I can dine at the bar, though I've dined alone enough that I'd be comfortable with a table if need be.
    • Cuisine: I'm open to anything
    TIA

2. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Happy Birthday in advance! I have a suggestion for a wonderful experience and it won't cost you anywhere near $300.

I had my birthday celebration (Mom, a niece, DBueler and myself) a few weeks ago at Lakeside at the Wynn. I am trying to remember the table number but it was a table for 4 right on the outside next to the Lake. It was a perfect August evening and not too hot. I wasn't super dressy at all and neither was anyone in my party and all felt comfortable. With entree, app and a side plus desert and a cocktail or wine I think you could do all in for $150, including tip though if you order lobster or a $70 entree it of course could be more. I even ordered a birthday cake for 4 people from the Wynn pastry shop (check out "celebration cakes" on the Wynn website) and had the cake delivered to the restaurant and the cost ($40), was just added to the restaurant bill. It was a perfect evening. I believe there is a fixed price menu as well that was about $75.

I was in Thanksgiving for Vegas last year solo and had Thanksgiving dinner there, solo. The meal, service and eating outside while watching the Lake of Dreams show was spectacular. It was then that I decided that's where I wanted to have my birthday dinner 9 months later, and I did!

I often dine alone so I don't feel uncomfortable doing it and I felt well treated as a solo diner, plus you've got the show you can watch every 30 minutes. It shows for 3-4 minutes every 30 minutes starting at dusk.

3. Sparky4

Sparky4 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Country Club Grill at Wynn. They have bar seating and they also have tables outside that overlook the golf course, The service was impressive and the food delicious. The bison ribeye was wonderful.

10th anniversary
  4. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Happy birthday in advance. I would suggest Giada's at the Cromwell, or Bouchon at the Venetian, Gordon Ramsay Steak at Paris, or Emeril's at MGM Grand. All restaurants that I would gladly go to a second (or third) time.

5. Jackpot Johnny

Jackpot Johnny Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In four weeks my beautiful wife and I will be celebrating both of our birthdays at Wynn-our two fine dining choices are Sinatra and SW Steakhouse. We have made many trips to Las Vegas, and we can have dinner anywhere we want, and those are our picks.

If I had to pick just one restaurant in Las Vegas for one special dinner it would be Sinatra, in my opinion the best restaurant in Las Vegas and one of the best anywhere in the world I've been, and that covers a lot of major world cities.
    Sinatra is, simply, perfect. Go for it.

If you consider SW, a table is great for a solo diner because you can watch the show in the lake and be entertained while you have a truly fine meal with great service.

6. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love Sinatra as well. Have eaten at SW twice and liked it but didn't LOVE it. But a great restaurant. I just enjoyed Sinatra and Lakeside more though love the ambiance at Lakeside more.

Common theme with all of these responses is that they are Wynncore restaurants!

7. eliza

eliza Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks to everyone who has replied so far. Especially for the recommendations at the Wynn - those were totally off my radar before. If it is cool enough (late September, so hoping), sitting outside sounds particularly nice.

8. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some good suggestions - I was going to add Ramsey Steakhouse as well.

Tell use some places you have really enjoyed in the past.

I am also big in eating at or near the hotel we are staying at. Unless I am already going down/up the strip - taking a cab to and from dinner just takes away from the evening.

9. eliza

eliza Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I appreciate all of the great advice.

@nostresshere - good idea.

I'll be at Monte Carlo for 3 Nights and then Downtown (El Cortez and Oasis at Gold Spike) for 4 Nights - but I intend to roam about quite a bit, so not overly concerned with easy proximity.

In Vegas I've quite enjoyed past meals at Julian Serrano and Palmer's. My favorite meal ever was at Thomas Keller's Ad Hoc - I was thinking of doing Bouchon for a brunch, but maybe I should reconsider it for dinner.

I'm not a huge fan of quirky/ultra-modern cuisine (a la Alinea in Chicago or Pineapples and Pearls in DC), at least not for dining solo.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  10. UKFanatic

UKFanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice, broad parameters. Based on those, I would suggest either Julian Serrano or the teppanyaki room at Mizumi.

Julian Serrano has great food and a lively atmosphere. No problem sitting at the bar solo and enjoying the full menu. Mizumi has excellent food. Obviously, no bar if you want to sit at one of the teppanyaki tables, but there are usually other people dining in there, but rarely a large crowd. its an easy way to meet other people and the chefs at the table are always fun and friendly

11. eliza

eliza Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks @UKFanatic -- I just realized that I lied above -- I've only eaten at Jaleo in DC -- the meal that I remember enjoying in Vegas was at Julian Serrano.

12. UKFanatic

UKFanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Its my favorite in vegas. And its great solo at the bar. But you should go for something new for the bday

13. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    With Aria right next door, there are some great choices there. They have changed out a few restaurants over the past year or so.

14. Film-Noir

Film-Noir High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Downtown Vic& Anthony's @GN always enjoyable for us,
    great food & service.

for us No to Gordan [email protected], unless you want to communicate in sign language,
    the music is annoyingly
    TOO LOUD!.