1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Strip express bus

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by lougs73357, Jun 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lougs73357

lougs73357 Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Where downtown do I catch the Strip Express(SDX) bus?How much does it cost these days?

Kenokid

2. Hyperfocal

Hyperfocal High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  3. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can also catch the WAX bus at the same location. It only makes 3 stops before reaching the stop outside the Trop. $2. Pay onboard.

You can pick it up to go back downtown on Trop, outside NYNY. It really is a slick way to get to and from downtown, but depending on where you want to go on the Strip, some walking might be involved.

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  4. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good advice from Joe. I'd recommend the WAX if you're heading to Mandalay Bay, Luxor, Excalibur, Tropicana, MGM Grand, Hooters, NY NY, Monte Carlo. Did I miss any?

5. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't know how the OP is on walking. Last trip we took the WAX and found it to be an easy walk to get to Paris. I didn't time it, but I want to say no more than ~20 minutes.

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  6. da1chifan

da1chifan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Did I imagine it or is there a $2.50 each way fare? 4 of us want to go from Wynn to downtown and back, but only once.

I have printed the routes and everything online in advance.

I have never taken a bus in Vegas in 14-15 trips. I am so determined to take the WAX bus from the airport this time and take the friends downtown via the bus too. I can do it!!! LOL

7. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The WAX is a residential bus so the single fare is $2.00 or $1.00 for us old folks.

Jimbo338

8. Sue24

Sue24 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This has been asked before, but.....

where does the WAX from the airport unload downtown?

9. Sue24

Sue24 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And now that I am considered an OLD person.... what kind of ID do I need to prove it?

10. dewey089

dewey089 Guru of Value

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Another residential bus leaving from Binions is the Centennial Express that will get you to the area of the Sands Convention Center. With the walking it takes 22 minutes on this one to get from Binions to the Wynn as compared with 36 minutes on the Deuce. (some walking from Binions to Neonopolis downtown to get the Deuce)

From there it heads out to UNLV. Nice little desert gardens for those who can't get out to Redrock but want some natural sense of where they are in the world.
    Like the WAX the CX costs the residential price and allows senior discounts even for one ride or a one day pass.

Remember too that linking these with free trams can save some of the walking. Taking the WAX to Tropicana and walking just to the Monte Carlo gets you a free tram to Bellagio.
    http://www.lasvegasadvisor.com/referenceguide-transportationdetail.cfm?transportid=111&map=shuttlemap.cfm?showmap=citycenter.jpg
    runs 8 am until 4 am

while a free tram from Excalibur will get you to the Luxor or Mandalay Bay.

http://www.lasvegasadvisor.com/referenceguide-transportationdetail.cfm?transportid=48&map=shuttlemap.cfm?showmap=freetrams.jpg
    runs 24/7

Also, if you like to see other areas of Vegas besides downtown and the strip, you can work buses into a pattern of visits. So from downtown I take a bus out to Sam's Town for the free Thursday Toast of the Town variety show and an ACG coupon free buffet (with some play on full pay dime level Deuces) and then take a walk up to the Eastside Cannery for some play on 9-6-90 JOB (the best JOB in Vegas) and then take the 202 from their parking lot to the strip at Flamingo or across the LV Bldv. to the Gold Coast.

Or I take the WAX to Tropicana and then the 201 to the Orleans for their buffet and maybe some play and then their free shuttle to the Gold Coast or to very near Ellis Island because their strip drop is now at the far EAST end of Bally's.

All these trips could be done with a 24 residential bus pass that costs just $5 or the amazingly low senior citizen price (with proof) of just $2.50 for 24 hours.
    In fact, your day might start at downtown, move to Boulder, then to the Gold Coast, then to the Orleans, then to the WAX stop at Tropicana and back downtown for just those prices. However, you do need to bring schedules of those residential routes or have the right phone apps because they might just run every hour and they don't all run 24/7.
    And I think this sort of bus hopping is more practical in cooler weather. I go in April or November. In August I might not want so much bus travel because waiting at the stops can be a bit uncomfortable.

Even if you stay late on the strip and decide to head back to downtown on the SDX just before midnight using a full access strip day pass, ($8), if you pay for it just before midnight one day to get back to downtown after residential bus hopping, then it is good until midnight the following day. Depending on how late you plan to ride the bus the second day, for a senior two days of bus travel (the first on residential routes and the second full pay all access) might cost just $10.50.

One advantage of residential buses is they are never crowded like the Deuce. Whenever your plans allow it, avoid traveling on the Deuce. And don't let a crowded experience on the Deuce define what you think Vegas bus riding is like. It is not like that on residential routes like the WAX and the CX.

11. dewey089

dewey089 Guru of Value

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Another residential bus leaving from Binions is the Centennial Express that will get you to the area of the Sands Convention Center. With the walking it takes 22 minutes on this one to get from Binions to the Wynn as compared with 36 minutes on the Deuce. (some walking from Binions to Neonopolis downtown to get the Deuce)

From there it heads out to UNLV. Nice little desert gardens for those who can't get out to Redrock but want some natural sense of where they are in the world.
    Like the WAX the CX costs the residential price and allows senior discounts even for one ride or a one day pass.

Remember too that linking these with free trams can save some of the walking. Taking the WAX to Tropicana and walking just to the Monte Carlo gets you a free tram to Bellagio.
    http://www.lasvegasadvisor.com/referenceguide-transportationdetail.cfm?transportid=111&map=shuttlemap.cfm?showmap=citycenter.jpg
    runs 8 am until 4 am

while a free tram from Excalibur will get you to the Luxor or Mandalay Bay.

http://www.lasvegasadvisor.com/referenceguide-transportationdetail.cfm?transportid=48&map=shuttlemap.cfm?showmap=freetrams.jpg
    runs 24/7

Also, if you like to see other areas of Vegas besides downtown and the strip, you can work buses into a pattern of visits. So from downtown I take a bus out to Sam's Town for the free Thursday Toast of the Town variety show and an ACG coupon free buffet (with some play on full pay dime level Deuces) and then take a walk up to the Eastside Cannery for some play on 9-6-90 JOB (the best JOB in Vegas) and then take the 202 from their parking lot to the strip at Flamingo or across the LV Bldv. to the Gold Coast.

Or I take the WAX to Tropicana and then the 201 to the Orleans for their buffet and maybe some play and then their free shuttle to the Gold Coast or to very near Ellis Island because their strip drop is now at the far EAST end of Bally's.

All these trips could be done with a 24 residential bus pass that costs just $5 or the amazingly low senior citizen price (with proof) of just $2.50 for 24 hours.
    In fact, your day might start at downtown, move to Boulder, then to the Gold Coast, then to the Orleans, then to the WAX stop at Tropicana and back downtown for just those prices. However, you do need to bring schedules of those residential routes or have the right phone apps because they might just run every hour and they don't all run 24/7.
    And I think this sort of bus hopping is more practical in cooler weather. I go in April or November. In August I might not want so much bus travel because waiting at the stops can be a bit uncomfortable.

Even if you stay late on the strip and decide to head back to downtown on the SDX just before midnight using a full access strip day pass, ($8), if you pay for it just before midnight one day to get back to downtown after residential bus hopping, then it is good until midnight the following day. Depending on how late you plan to ride the bus the second day, for a senior two days of bus travel (the first on residential routes and the second full pay all access) might cost just $10.50.

One advantage of residential buses is they are never crowded like the Deuce. Whenever your plans allow it, avoid traveling on the Deuce.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.