1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Strategy for a 6 am flight

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Hyperfocal, Sep 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hyperfocal

Hyperfocal High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Does anyone have suggestions for a 6 am flight?

I booked a great last-minute deal, but to get the price, the return flight was OMG early.

Considering it's nearly 3 am right now the day before, and I've been up since 6 am, I'm thinking about sleeping late, then staying up until I get on the plane, then trying to sleep on the way home.

I'm kind of scared I could miss my flight if I fall asleep tomorrow night.

2. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If I tried staying up all night, I'd probably fall asleep and miss my flight for sure. I'd suggest simply going to bed early and request a wakeup call, set the alarm clock in your room, and set an additional alarm on your phone. Between the three, you'll bound to get up in time. Have a great trip!

3. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always take the 6 or 7am flight home these days.

I enjoy it because I can sleep on the plane and get home in the early afternoon with time left in the day.

I've stayed up at a club until 3am before the flight and just took a little nap and got to the airport and crashed on the plane.

Staying up all night is not recommended. That couple of hours of sleep makes all the difference.

4. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We had a 6:30am flight home from Vegas yesterday. We went to bed around 10pm the night before, then set 3 alarms for 3am. Years ago I would worry about missing flights but that doesn't seem to bother me nowadays. BTW, security was a breeze.

Christmas Trip. Sam's Town & MSS
  5. ruralhipster

ruralhipster Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My Technique is to get drunk early and have a big lupper around 4 then I hit the bed early evening and find myself awake at 2 to 3 in the morning. Get up load the car, have a graveyard breakfast, gamble a little, drop off the rental car at 4 and find myself on the other side of security by 445. It's usually dead in the mornings but I don't tempt fate by cutting things close.

6. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A 6 am return flight is like a 9 am flight when you're on East Coast time. So go out, get drunk, take TY's advice above.

7. NYNYGirl

NYNYGirl High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On the one and only 6 am flight I ever had and ever will have, I basically cut my losses and got a good nights rest. Didn't want to miss my flight.

8. MGinCO

MGinCO Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had a 6am flight in June, leaving Las Vegas.
    I just stayed up all night, checked out at 4am, and at car return by 430am.
    A breeze through TSA.

9. Imperial_Palace_King

Imperial_Palace_King High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oversleep. Call and get booked on a later flight. At least that's what happened to me last time I had a flight that early.

10. 63hearts

63hearts Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know airports make me cranky on no sleep, and that's not a place to be cranky for me...

11. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd never take a flight at that time again. No matter what you do, you'll be tired.

My son and I decided to try different strategies. I'm more of an early to bed/early to rise person (but not 3:00 AM!) so I tried going to bed before 11:00 PM to try to get some sleep. He's often up until 1:00 AM so he thought he could stay up the extra two hours. He ended up going to bed at 2:00 AM and then had to get up an hour later and was exhausted. I hardly slept between 11:00 and 3:00 because I kept looking at the clock afraid I wouldn't hear the alarm (we had a suite this time and were in different rooms). So I was tired too.

That's the worst time for a flight.

12. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I take the first flight out of LAS every trip.

SW always has either a 5:40a or 6:30a (or thereabouts) flight from LAS to MDW and I am always on it. There's no special strategy: I just get to bed no later than 10:00p the night before, wake up at 4:00a the morning of. Getting up that early isn't a chore for me as my daily alarm for work rings at 4:30a.

I sleep the entire flight home.

(edited for LAS to MDW flight instead of MDW to LAS flight, sorry!)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  13. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can't sleep on planes so I settle up room charges the night before, go to bed early and get to the airport early because TSA can be F-ed up first thing.

14. The Stig

The Stig VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A couple years ago I had to take a 8am flight from Vegas and that was bad enough. I tried to sleep but kept waking up nearly every hour. These days I always try to get a mid morning flight when coming back.

15. Vegasaddict2014

Vegasaddict2014 Low-Roller

If it were me I'd stay awake. I'm a night person anyway so I'd make sure I wasn't getting too comfy where I could fall asleep without realising and just wait until I was on the plane to sleep.

After a wedding once I had to get a 7am flight but had to be awake for 3:30 to get a taxi at 4. We got in around 1:30 and thought we'd get 2 hours sleep but no... We ended up waking up when the taxi driver was hammering on our door..

Have a nap in the afternoon on the day before the flight then you'll be able to stay awake

16. Hyperfocal

Hyperfocal High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Worked out with a late afternoon nap, late dinner and gambling, then a couple hours of quiet time before heading to the airport.

Super short lines at security.

17. buddhaluv

buddhaluv Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I prefer the early flight over, about a two hour flight and and 1 1/2 hour drive from the airport to my house so afternoon flights puts us in traffic nightmares, early flight nobody on the road, nobody checking in, no line at security, problem with taking red-eyes if you have plane issues or delayed flights you may not get out of the airport much before 6 am anyway. The early flights the plane is already there and fewer delays so worth it. Plus you get home early enough for afternoon nap after starting a couple of loads of laundry

18. FullBoat

FullBoat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is what I normally do as well. I almost always leave at 7:30am. But, I also work nights, so I'm kind of used to staying up all night. So, I'll wake up the day before, and have fun. Then take a nap in the afternoon, and then go back out, and back to the room in time to finish packing, and leave. I'm always afraid that if I just stay in my room after midnight I'll miss my flight. Plus....Vegas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.