1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Strange ? I Turn Down Higher Paying Job Because Of My Age

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe Strummer, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

I never thought I'd do such a thing ?
    Usually......it's an employer = Age Discrimination keeping one out of a higher paying job !

I had 3 weeks to think it over and it was a real "gut check" for me.
    My age......and the physical state of my body was the main factors.
    I do a "physical" job ---inside building + outside grounds ,
    The job I could have taken is called "laborer".
    It would have paid me 9k more by the fifth year ( small increments each year ).
    I never would have turned down this offer if I was younger.
    But I had to think "longevity".
    I figure, I can do my current job til I'm 70 yrs old = retire w/ a (27 yr ) pension
    in 8 more years.
    Why 70 yrs old ?........I have a young son.......gotta keep working.
    And I've got 2 arthritic hips + lower back =
    When it's bad........I can manage my work tasks (pretty much ) my own way.
    I would NOT have that autonomy w/ the new job !
    Some days are really painful.
    And I don't know if I could work the new job until age 70 ?
    ( I could be thrown on the back of a garbage truck in winter or digging ditches )
    So.........those were two HUGE factors.
    I felt old ..............making this decision.............I am old..........a "gut check" with reality.......
    But I feel lucky to still (#1) HAVE a job.......(#2)not be retired on disability.......and (#3) provide
    a salary for my family / (#4) not have a pension budget to follow.
    I wanna think I could give my kid anything he needed for another 8 yrs - without worrying about
    a monthly budget limiting me.
    A few years ago - I was wishing for this "new" job opportunity to arrive !
    It finally did.........but........too late ?
    Strange how things change as you get older ?
    Just thought I'd post
    Now......if i could only get my @ss to VEGAS !!!!!~!~!

• Like Like x 2
  2. fasbman

fasbman Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's not strange. It sounds like you made the right decision given your circumstances. I'm also in a "strange" situation. Right now I have a job which is what I always wanted in my younger years. However, even though I'm ONLY in my mid 50's, I intend to walk away from it in 12-18 months. The stress levels are high, and as I get older, I keep remembering the saying that "No one on their deathbed ever said they wished they had spent more time at work".

• Like Like x 1
  3. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like you made the best decision for you; not strange at all. Congrats. Now don't look back.

4. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Over-Fried Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I understand completely. Your mind says it can be done but your body says "f*#ck it. I'm kinda opposite. My current position as supervisor drives me crazy and I want to just be a regular "worker".

But when I think of if I can keep up the physical stress day in and day out I tell myself to just keep coping with my current position. I hate it.

You made the right choice. You're a great dad thinking of your son and family. Longevity is better than breaking down physically and no longer being able to support your family.

Going to Hawaii's 9th Island!!
    Going to Hawaii's 9th island!!
    • Like Like x 1
  5. flyguyfl

flyguyfl Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You done good.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You were very, very wise going with your gut. Everyone wants more money, but I have always believed it's better to make a little less and be happy/healthy versus make more and be miserable, or worse, brutal on your health.

Keep yours eyes open, there might be another job down the road that is the RIGHT one, but I think your instincts were spot on on this one...and I think you made a wise decision
    Good luck, and yes, kudos on being a wonderful father!!!!

Sooooo far away still...
    Cosmo, always our favorite part of our trip!
    • Like Like x 1
  7. deansrobinson

deansrobinson Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Admirable decision.
    There's more to work than a paycheck, as outlined above. We indeed look at things much differently when we're twenty-one.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Edserv

Edserv Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like you made a great decision. Congrats! And you never know what new opportunities are right around the corner.
    I always think of Tom Hanks in Cast Away when that big piece of plastic washes up on shore and all of a sudden he's able to build a raft and sail back home.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Backagain1

Backagain1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have just changed to a plant based diet to help with my arthritic pain. Not sure if it is the right thing to do, but like you I need to keep working. My job is hard and stressful and I am tired! I totally understand and wish you the best.

• Like Like x 1
  10. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I dont like my current job, they dont give me the tools i need to support me clients so i have to take the heat and basically wing it or flat out make stuff up. Thats not fair to me or my clients.

i would leave today if I had another one lined up.

i will be searching come monday, Would be nice to get something similar but with the support needed of course.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like you thought it through and made a good decision, Joe!
    Best wishes and no worries, man! :thumbsup: (Except figuring out how to get yourself to Vegas!)

RICHARD

12. daveg000

daveg000 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    "Lighter and cleaner" work is a real thing in the Unionized auto industry, usually means a little less pay, but those jobs are there for the higher seniority, older workers who can't climb in and out of 300 cars a day twisting and turning to assemble that part in an awkward position.

13. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been having some Lower Back issues lately. Yesterday morning I did a 5K.
    When everyone else was headed to the Finish Line I headed to the parking garage.
    I don't need some cheap Metal or Ribbon. I mean I did the 5K and I'm feeling it today!

14. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I also turned job a job offer for a higher level job but because of another reason. I work in IT and 20 years ago we got shortage pay because they had a hard time finding IT people. I still get the shortage pay. If I took the higher level job I would normally get a 4% increase but I would lose my shortage pay. I already get 4% in shortage pay so if I got promoted I would get paid the same amount as I do now. Not worth the stress and paperwork (would have to do annual job reviews and budgets and other paperwork) anymore.

It was funny because decades ago I would apply for all the higher level jobs but because of office "politics" I never got promoted (I don't play ball). Now with only 1 to 3 years left till retirement I just want to put in my time and get the heck out of here when I can.