1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Stay away from Payless Car Rental they are scammers

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by specialmemory, Apr 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. specialmemory

specialmemory Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I rented a car in Vegas from Payless like I have several times before. When picking up the car I was told by their employee there is no longer an option with the fuel that I have to prepay a full tank of gas. I asked when did this start and was told since Avis took them over. He said to many people where returning the vehicles without a full tank of gas. Upon returning the vehicle I found out this wasn't true. When I returned home I wrote them an e-mail explaining what happened. They pretty much called me a liar and refuse to believe me. I am done with Payless and anyone affiliated with them.

2. zlanga

zlanga Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I guess that can happen in any industry with one employee doing something like that, did he provide any kind of documentation showing the change in policy? Corporate should ateast do SOMETHING though... Seems there is no end to the decline of customer service in the rental car industry. Completely maddening!

USBC Open
  3. Hogman

Hogman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You should realize that a lot of agents put the hard sell on for extras so just say no to the ones you don't want.

First Trip 2017
  4. Piggylane

Piggylane Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The agent gets a commission for anything they upsell, that's why he did it. If you have his name and any proof, take him to small claims court.

I rent 35 weeks a year, always from Hertz and it's always for business. I don't shop the cheapest but they still try to upsell me on the insurance even though my company forbids me from buying it. Just like a car salesman, they make spiff on everything they can sell you.

5. Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas Ramblin' Gamblin' Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Keep in mind Payless is owned by Avis, founded in the State of Michigan.Enough said.

6. Champster1

Champster1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just cancelled my Payless car for next week. 2nd bad report in 48 hrs from a recent rental. Will choose between my standard, Dollar and newbie, Advantage, before Weds! Got good rates from both!!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
    March Madness...here I come !!
  7. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I never have done Payless, but have with Avis/Budget quite a few times with no issues and no hard-sell upselling I can remember.

8. specialmemory

specialmemory Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was only looking for and apology because the employee charged my credit card without even asking me. I questioned why is my bill $30 more and then he lied to me and said it is a new policy.

- - - Updated - - -

Smart decision

9. aliasyoshi

aliasyoshi Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    About a year ago they tried to force the daily AAA-like fee on us (whatever they call it). Was told several times it was mandatory, so I cancelled and used my backup with Alamo. In and out with their kiosk in about 2 minutes.

10. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I also have had Payless try to tack on extra charges. I usually ask for a manager (there isn't one!) and in the end I usually start to walk away. The clerk sometimes changes his tune but I usually make an extra reservation with another agency just in case my original one falls through.

Anytime (from any agency) if my bill doesn't come out close to my reservation quote I will check the bill with a fine tooth comb. Unfortunately these "scams" are all over, I have had extras added to my bill with Dollar, Advantage and Budget. Usually explaining that I don't want the extras will usually reverse these charges.

Unfortunately this is the service you get with a cut rate company. Their rates are some of the lowest in vegas but then you take your chances with the company. Lately I will pay a little more for a more reputable company but I still do rent from Payless from time to time. Luckily checking rates regularly I usually find a similar deal with the national chains or Costco and I would book through them over cut rates companies like Payless, fox and EZ.

Some other problems I have seen with Payless, they have a limited car selection so most times you don't have a choice other than what they give you. Other times I have seen people wait for their cars since it depends on the prior renter returning the car on time. One family was waiting over 45 minutes (when I left, no telling how long they waited) for their car to be "serviced", actually the car wasn't returned so they had to wait for the car to return.

One other alternative, I think it was with Dollar but I contested my bill with my cc company and they reversed the extra charges after I got home. Dollar never complained (guess it was too much trouble for $50). What happened was that I returned the car 6 hours early. I returned it before midnight when I was supposed to return it at 6 am. I think because it was before midnight that triggered an extra "return" fee, not sure why I should pay more for returning it sooner but I contested the fee with my cc company and they removed the extra fee.

11. mescalita

mescalita High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Guess I have to jump in on this one since I've had plenty of experience with Pay Less, and use them about three out of four trips since they almost always have the best prices. I remember the up-sell pressure from the first couple times with them, and learned right away to just say no to everything extra. They and any other company can't take advantage of me unless I let them do so. Never had a problem with their cars - they usually have pretty new vehicles. We normally arrive in Vegas on an early morning flight. Usually very short line or none at all at that time. Here's my strategy for getting out to my car in less than 5 minutes:

1. Hand them drivers license and credit card while giving them my name.
    2. When they pull up my reservation I ask them if they're finding me in the system.
    3. Of course they have me in there, so I remind them that I always decline everything extra.
    4. Within a minute, rental agreement comes off the printer, I initial declines and sign agreement, making sure total price is correct.
    5. Head out to the semi-darkness of the garage, take cell-phone pictures of every scratch and ding, and hit the road!

Safe travels and good luck!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.