1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Spirit raising bag fees for the holidays

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by makikiboy, Sep 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For people who ride Spirit, they will be raising the bag fees a couple of bucks for the holidays - to encourage customers to pack a bit lighter. Guess they don't care that passengers might be flying with gifts.

https://www.yahoo.com/travel/seriously-spirit-airlines-raises-bag-fees-for-holiday-98142801447.html

Here is an explanation

optional_services_bags_winter.jpg

Temporary Holiday Bag Price Change
    Winter is coming.... and that means holidays. Which means more people than ever will be flying with Spirit to visit their loved ones. To make sure we have room for everyone's bags, we're encouraging customers to pack a bit lighter. So, for travel booked after 8/19/14, for flights between 12/18/14 and 1/5/15, standard checked bags will be $2 more than listed below. Spend less time packing and more time laughing with family and friends this holiday season.......

I'm surprised that they don't raise the bag fees another $5 or $10, a $2 increase IMHO really won't make people travel any lighter.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2014
  2. dbueler

dbueler High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's because they don't really care if people pack lighter.... they just want the additional revenue.
    diane

3. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think that is what they care about: the holidays will see people packing more to take gifts home, students taking clothes and such home for the holidays, people go on longer vacations and need to pack more along... so it seems like a sound business decision to take advantage of that and get more out of people

4. bubbakitty

bubbakitty native Texan; born and bred.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have read about this airline but never flown them but continue to see disgust for the process. I think it would be different if the money was being poured into new airplanes, seating space, food on route, or other pluses. It just seems like a grab. Like resort fees.....if there was something they were dumping it in to to reflect the additional revenue then it COULD make sense.....how silly.

1st Super Bowl DT...Panthers / Browns no doubt
    Spur of momento trip
  5. Blonde_4_ever

Blonde_4_ever "The Welfare Queen of Windsor"

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It is two bucks...doesn't worry me.[​IMG]

6. hillwood24

hillwood24 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Spirit is by far the best airline in existence. They provide a tremendous service to all of us through their typically cheap fares, even if we don't fly them. I've flown them once and will likely never fly them again, but the value they provided was impeccable.

A $2 bag fee is nothing and certainly won't even come close to offsetting the additional fuel they'll be using by hauling around heavier bags. All things considered, $2 is a great deal.

7. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Huh? At the time they are guaranteed full planes and all kinds of fees for baggage since they charge for almost all of it, they are hiking fees. They are full of crap.

8. gilly from philly

gilly from philly Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As of July, Spirit had 58 aircraft, with 109 on order. I would say that doubling the fleet does constitute "pouring money into new airplanes."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirit_Airlines

9. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agree!

I don't fly Spirit regularly, as they don't serve either of my local airports. I do occasionally when I need to fly between points they serve, as they are usually the cheapest.

I always said that Spriit would charge for the seat belt if the could! They would probably charge for the toilet (anyone remember pay toilets) if they would not have to worry about "accidents" soiling their seats.

The "live action infomercial" they do, pushing credit cards or such drek, is minorly annoying, but I can put up with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.