1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Speaking of cool things on golf courses

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Apr 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

IMG_0388.jpg

This was Whistler a few years back.

2. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I play on the big island early morning I see deer walking the course. It was funny because years ago I wondered what those small pellets on the ground were, didn't know it was deer poop. I think hapuna has a lot of deer and billy goats roaming the course and surrounding areas all day. Once I had a deer pick up my golf ball and walk away with it. Also saw deer on the lanai courses.

Also on the big island Makalei golf course have peacocks walking around and going into your golf cart looking for food.

And the Big island country club have wild turkeys on the golf course.

Sometimes Pali golf course on Oahu have wild boar walking the course. some of them are friendly and will come up to you looking for a food handout. But they do leave big poop all around so you have to watch out where you step.

I remember visiting a golf course in Florida and I could see an alligator sunning himself right near the pond. Notes on the golf carts were to beware of the alligators and to not go near the water hazards. I also saw notes on some vegas golf carts and brush areas - beware of rattlesnakes. For a duffer like me who is usually in the brush area that wasn't a good sign.

3. ken2v

I couldn't believe all the wild goats at Hapuna. Eagles and javelina in AZ. Whales offshore in Maui. Albatross at Makai. Bobcats on my home course. Bighorns in La Quinta. The critters are almost as cool as the golf, my friend!!

4. M_ILIS

M_ILIS High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Kaluakoi (NLE) on Molokai had wild turkeys, too.

About a month ago at Hidden Valley in Norco I finally saw a snake on a golf course. It was sunning itself near some bushes and I couldn't tell what type, or even which end was which.

The only time I played Pacific Grove I finished either No. 10 or 11 and was walking to the next tee when suddenly a huge-antlered buck was standing atop a sand dune looking straight down at me. I have a picture of it somewhere. Gave me quite a jolt.

5. ken2v

Do they still have "hospitality" tents at HV????

6. M_ILIS

M_ILIS High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Haha! None that I've found yet.

7. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Too bad they closed the Kaluakoi course and hotel on Molokai. I had fun over there, hotel rates and golf course fees were much cheaper than on Lanai. The golf course was nice also, not as well manicured as the Lanai courses but a nice cheaper place to vacation and golf. I hope that one day someone will buy out the whole place and reopen the course but I think too many years have passed so it will be a major undertaking to redo the golf course. Google maps show the place as barren land.

8. ken2v

Peninsular bighorn sheep. SilverRock Resort, La Quinta

IMG_0643.jpg

9. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Great Stuff !!!!!
    Best I can say is........Coyotes,foxes, Alligators, Giant Balloon emergency landed on our fairway -
    right on top of our Tee Shots......we all had to "take a drop"......moved our balls -
    and then, took photos with the balloon operator.
    Right after 9/11.....right outside NYC......we had a jet fighter drop down over our putting green.
    This fighter jock was so good -- he dropped + spun in a flat circle---- just above us !
    He was so low.........I saw him, as clear as hell, in the cockpit --
    could see his whole outfit --- aviation shades,white helmet,breathing mask.
    I always thought he did it, as a Golf fan + too many viewings of "Top Gun".

10. newmans

newmans VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've often seen bears on Whistler Golf Course and Big Sky in Pemberton. I never want to look for a ball..........you can smell the bear crap and I'm sure a bear is close by.

11. ken2v

I am a big fan of Big Sky.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.