1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Spa tip question

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Jbatc18, Jan 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jbatc18

Jbatc18 Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have never had a massage and was thinking about surprising my wife with a couples massage. I am confused on what to tip. I was thinking 20 percent.

2. egelston2

egelston2 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I usually do about 20% (18 to massage therapist and 2% to room attendant). If the service is only so so, I will give less.

3. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A lot of spas will have a "service charge" of 20% added to the bill... in some cases thats an automatic tip, in some cases it is not, in some cases it is mandatory to pay that, in some cases it is "only a suggestion" and you can leave more (or less).

If the spa you choose has a service charge you should find out if thats a tip for the service or if its not, otherwise a tip of 15-20% is normal.

4. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

As with any other tip, it should be commensurate with the level of service rendered and the experience. But check first because many times it's already on your bill.

And good tip about not forgetting the attendant(s).

5. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry, but the often used phrase "commensurate with level of service" adds pretty much no value to the question.

Is $10 on top of the $150 charge for an hour "commensurate"?

or is $30-$40 after payng $150 an hour "commensurate"?

(assuming similar service)

6. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

So if a waitress/bartender/masseuse goes through the motions, slings a plate of hash in front of you, draws a beer and grumbles while putting it down and then saunters off for another 45-minute siesta, or might actually spill some oil on your back while giving it a lackadaisical "rub" when you thought you were in for shiatsu, how do YOU tip? And what if the experience is the polar opposite?

7. Jinx

Jinx VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is one area where I probably tip bad, I give $20 flat for a 50 min massage to the therapist and $5 to the attendants. This is if there is no service charge that is the tip. In some cases I'm less then 18-20% others I'm right on the mark, depending where I'm at. I realize that it's similar to a nicer restaurant, in that your bill is higher, so your tip should be, but it's the one area in tipping, I just can't seem to follow the minimal rules with, especially if I'm at Qua or somewhere equivalent, where the massage is up in the $150 range.

8. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It is crazy. In many places you can be at $130+ for an hour. Then they expect another $26 or more. That comes to alot of money. Crazy.

9. NickyDim

NickyDim VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We had the couples massage in Paris in December and the gratuity was included in the bill.

(note; we used a travelzoo coupon/gift certificate, and they do NOT accept any of that value towards the tip. We had to fill out the bill with another service, like a scalp massage to use up the entire certificate, and the gratuity was in addition to the total RETAIL amount of all services, not the discounted amount provided by the travelzoo coupon/cert).

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.