1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Southwest

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by vokalml, Feb 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vokalml

vokalml Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is kind of a rant but also a question. Southwest is $188 each way from Spokane to Vegas. It goes down to $171 then the next day back up to $188. It's Southwest, they hurd me like cattle to my seat and I refuse to pay almost $400 to get to vegas. My wife is also going to my brothers wedding in May and so it would be almost $800 for me and my wife to fly to Vegas. I would rather drive for $250 roundtrip! The last true sale they had was in Aug. They have been sending me emails that say sale and its the same price. Do they know what a sale means? Anyone know if they normally do a spring sale for $99 to $150 each way?

2. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    With SWA it's best to book then rebook the same flight for less money and keep the extra money in the SWA bank for your next flight. However, that money must be used in 1 year for original booking.

3. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The charge those rates because then can. They would charge more if the market would pay it.

Bottom line - business.

4. Smo

Smo Mr. Las Vegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have you ever read the very tiny fine print from their sales?
    There are many blackout dates, sometimes there are some airports that are excluded, and I found this lsited on their last Winter Sale: " Travel valid every day except Fridays & Sundays"

I always track their prices and when they have a sale, it really is cheaper to fly if you check that fine print and work your trip around those blackout days.

5. blackjacknut

blackjacknut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Supply and Demand....don't expect airline fares to get any better.

6. numeno

numeno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Small rant. I still don't understand why people feel southwest is like herding cattle when I see the same exact thing happen on every other airline. I feel southwest is actually the most organized.

AA or Delta call Group 1 and from what I see a herd of cattle goes up to the gate.

If you would rather spend the 2-4 days(both ways) driving, then I think that will end up being your answer. For most people the cost of taking those days off or reducing their vacation isn't worth that. Prices in general have been going up the last year or 2. I'm not expecting them to fall anytime soon. Depending on the days you can travel, you have more options. Southwest will reduce a Wed flight for example more often than a Friday or Sunday flight.

7. salemorevegaslover

salemorevegaslover Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    SWA prices

SWA prices can change several times a day......on occasions. Since I am retired, it allows me to constantly search for "good" prices but I have noticed that prices have risen during the past 10 days to 2 weeks on flights to Vegas.
    Keep checking constantly.......day or even late nights for adjustments. Good luck!

8. Iu25

Iu25 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My return flight to Ind from Vegas was $169 and I logged on the other day and it was down to $117, so we got $60 bucks in credit for our next flight! SW will change prices frequently and especially Tuesdays, it pays to look at it at least once a day once you have booked!

9. chess

chess VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you fly out of Spokane... I am not saying this is ideal, but Look into the SWA CC.... You get 2 free RT if you put 2k on the card in the first 2 months... Thats rather easy to do... I just renewed my NFL Season tickets... so that was 5k, so I got a ton of points for that... just food for thought :)

10. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Why we're leaving on Wed. and coming back on Tues.! It's a must do if your schedule allows doing it. g/f was able to reschedule work to pull it off. She was supposed to work this Wed. Worked today instead. Wed. was $114 one way, Thurs. was ~$260.

11. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Airline rates are all over the place. You just never know. I paid the exact amount the past few trips and when I went to book our trip for May it was again the exact same price. Anjd every flight we are on to/from Vegas is always full. And then after we booked it dropped so I rebooked. Then it dropped again and I rebooked again. Now we have a nice credit to use on the next flight. Point is never stop checking rates.

12. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Southwest often gets a bad rap... easy for me to say, 95% of my air-travel is reimbursed... but they're not a non-profit, public service, they're a money-making (hopefully) business!

13. VPDana

VPDana Low-Roller

I live in the Midwest, St. Louis, MO to be exact.
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's why our trips are always Wednesdaay through Tuesday, to take advantage of the lower airfares on those days. We take the first non-stop flight out on Wednesday and return on the last Tuesday flight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.