1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Southwest Travel Funds, Be Aware

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by captainron62, Jul 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So, I knew I had about $100 in travel funds on the Southwest books, I booked a recent flight and entered the old confirmation #, had to enter a few old ones to find the right one. While finding these an .81 cent credit also popped up, I figured WTH and entered it as well.

BIG MISTAKE!!! My flight I booked dropped $60, so I banked this $60, problem is because I used old Travel funds, the new credit expires with the oldest credit, so now I have to use it by Oct. 15, which really sucks because I wanted to fly on Oct. 27, called SWA and they said too bad!!

Anyone had anyluck getting an extension or anything? I fly with them about 6 or 8 times a year, need some goodwill!

THis is from the Southwest website, this is what I was trying to explain a lot less effectively.

If you apply Ticketless Travel Funds toward the purchase of a new reservation, your new reservation record will reflect the expiration date of the oldest Ticketless Travel Funds used to pay for this reservation. Therefore, the expiration date of your new reservation and all Ticketless Travel Funds associated with your new reservation may be less than 12 months. The Ticketless Travel Funds expiration date will be printed on your new Ticketless Travel Itinerary and Receipt.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  2. bubbakitty

bubbakitty native Texan; born and bred.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    if i understand correctly your dilema, swa says you have one year from original date of BOOKING without penalty... ..not eventual date of flying / booking.. sounds like they are treating you just like they promised....

1st Super Bowl DT...Panthers / Browns no doubt
    Spur of momento trip
  3. sammasseur

sammasseur VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry to say, but the entire notion of using these types of funds under any circumstances is a real perk. Other airlines would be CHARGING you. But you've got credit to play with instead.

4. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think you guys are missing the point, I was not very clear.

I bought a $400 ticket, I had $100 in travel funds saved, while looking thru my travel funds I found another .81 credit that was kind of old. I figured WTH and plugged it in as well. Okay, all good so far, I book my flight and save $100.81.

A week later the new flight drops $62 dollars, I log on and bank my $62 in my account, thinking I had a year to use the $62, thats when I found out that because I used the .81 credit to buy the ticket, the new travel funds expire with the .81 credit and I dont have a year from the new purchase date. Had I not used the .81 cents and only used the $100 credit I would have had until next April to use the new credit, but because I used the .81 credit I only have until this Oct. 15 and I wanted to fly out on the 27th, so I lose my $62 credit.

I was just trying to make the point that if you have a small credit, be careful using it, because it will age the rest of your credits you use with it.

5. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    UPDATE,

I called in once this morning to SWA and the lady told me that there was nothing that could be done, that the .81 cents cost me $62 and that was that. Well, I figured another phone call was free, so I called back in and spoke to a much nicer gentleman and he said it happens and customer service typically will infuse some common sense and help me out. They are closed on the weekends, so I will call back tomorrow morning.

I hate to be a cheap skate or a complainer, and I am not complaining, it was my error, but I fly SWA 8 to 10 times a year and this is the first time I have asked for anything beyond a second bag of peanuts, so hopefully it works out.

6. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

Suck it up like a man. I had to do the same thing. It was my mistake. After all, SWA has been exceedingly good to all of us over the years on the customer service level. Why try to get more than we deserve.

7. S'AllGoodMan

S'AllGoodMan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They usually have good customer service. I've heard that or $50 they will extend your credits or another year. I don't think you'll have to go that route.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Beth

8. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I dont think its trying to get more than I deserve. Like I said I fly about 8 times a year and send about 4 more people about 8 times a year. As a business owner if one of my customers was deprived of one of my perks over .81 cents I would rather know about it and have the opportunity to act than to not know at all.

I hate it when someone is dissapointed with my business and I find out after the fact and it turns out it was something that was an easy fix and a problem I would have loved to solve. THe second CS rep sounded like it was no big deal at all no give me a two week extension.

Again, I did not post this to complain about Southwest, it was to caution everyone about entering in the unused travel funds, that is it.

9. runningonthehub

runningonthehub Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just checked my unused funds at Southwest and I lost about $45.00 because it expired, DAMN! My fault, I should have checked.
    It would have been nice if they had let me know the credit was expiring. I wonder how much extra cash they are pocketing because people don't keep track of their unused funds?

10. judy

judy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i get what u are saying and thank you

i get what you are saying and am glad for the warning b/c it would be easy to miss the rules in the excitement of booking a trip! thank you for the warning and very good info!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.