1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Southwest Schedule?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by djegators, Jul 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djegators

djegators Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    While I am awaiting the July 9th release of new dates, I started looking at fares near the time I will be going (mid January), and the fares are of course quite high.

But what is getting me, is the flight I have always taken and prefer very much, the late afternoon non-stop from Vegas to Tampa does not show up. Do they normally change schedules like this? I cannot think of ever NOT taking this flight home in my many trips out, in many different months of travel.

Also, does it seem likely that there will be any relief from the high fares any time soon? Thanks.

2. Shelbymae

Shelbymae Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I do know that SW has cut some of its flights...so I am assuming that is why you cant find the one you normally would have gotten. I have also noticed that some of the flights are lower priced than others depending on the time. I guess thats for business travelers to pay more or something. Im usually flexible enough that I take whatever time is cheaper.

3. Bruinfan1

Bruinfan1 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yup. Most airlines do it a couple of times a year, but Southwest and JetBlue tend to do it quarterly as they load schedules into their system.

Check if the number of flights per day between Vegas and Tampa has changed. It doesn't happen too often, but that would be the obvious reason for a missing flight.

Keep in mind that they have to juggle thousands of flights through hundreds of cities. Adding a new flight between...Vegas and Denver for example...might force a change in timing of a dozen flights that day - maybe a couple of dozen if it's a morning flight. Some times one route has to suffer to improve another route. It happens. The airlines don't want to do it...but it's tough keeping 500 planes going to places that hopefully make the airline money.

4. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I thought it was great when Southwest initiated a non-stop flight from our state airport in NH to LV and back. It was a morning flight that showed a 6 hour flight but routinely arrived early getting you to LV before noon and returning at 4pm (tough to arrive at midnight at home but nice to be able to sleep late in LV, have an unhurried breakfast, pack and make your way to the airport. It seemed to always be full.

Then SWA moved into Logan airport and the number of flights in NH was reduced. Then the non-stop was cancelled until later in the spring. They didn't offer any non-stop flights form Logan either. I don't mind a stop and changing planes for the convenience of a short commute, free bags, employees that like their jobs and lower prices, but the non-stop sure was nice! I'm hoping they will restore it at some point.

Jimbo338

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  5. djegators

djegators Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Its not just that its non-stop, its also the late afternoon departure that we like. It is nice to spend the morning and afternoon in Vegas enjoying one last meal and some slots before heading out.

6. chess

chess VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I will be preparing for March Madness so I am going to book with SWest when the new dates come up :) Cant wait

7. Tammy58

Tammy58 Frugal Slot Jockey

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In the past it has been during the winter months that the nonstop was stopped...this year it is earlier at both MHT and BDL, I didn't check PVD...I have never seen a nonstop since they came into BOS....read somewhere that they are cutting back the long trips due to fuel prices....changing flights right now it is around $450 from New England at any of the 4 big airports.

Right now our only choices are to connect at BWI, MDW or DEN....no way in hell I would connect in the winter in Denver or Chicago. Hubby wanted to go in Dec, if we do it will have to be BWI...not dealing with winter weather in the other 2 places.

What is so unbelievable is that the daily nonstops were always FULL...WTH? Making all the east coast LAS flights connect in the same 3 airports causes 1 giant cluster. We are REALLY ticked off at SW right now....or did you already figure that out? :wink2:

8. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm waiting too, Chess! My trade organization moved from the LVCC to the Rio next year and booked for the last week in January albout a month earlier than in the past 15 years. I guess I will have to wait til the end of august or into september before SWA opens their reservation system to cover those dates.

Like most people in the forum here, I prefer to book my hotel and flight separately but for the last two years Southwest has not had an across the board internet sale during this period of time and the cheapest packages were from Southwest, early when they open their reservation system and they partner with both Gold Spike and El Cortez downtown as well as others. In the case of EC, the package not only saves about $100 but includes a Tower Room instead of the Vintage rooms.

There are some options to consider as well. SouthwestVacations price and sometimes rooms differe from SWA. Booking with SWA you can choose "Add A Hotel" and the room and price my differ. And SWA also has Jackpot deals which is another entity. Check all options to have the best choice.

Jimbo338

9. djegators

djegators Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agreed Jimbo, I used to never even consider packages, because I could always find better hotel deals on my own, through the net, or players clubs. But now, with airfare so high, that hasn't been the case, and my last two trips were SW vacations.

10. pbrehob

pbrehob Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always fly into Vegas on Southwest for March Madness also. Unfortunately we will have to wait a little longer to book. The next block will only take the date out to February 13, 2013.

11. Jake&Avery

Jake&Avery Planning my next vacation!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ugh...can I wait in here with you guys??

We're going Jan 17-21st....and I'm waiting for my SW window to open too..

right now when I check rates for Dec. 13-17th its just over $500 round trip...

which is more than what I paid last February..

but doesnt SW allow me to xcel & rebook if the prices drop?? We've just started flying SW, so Im trying to learn all the ins & outs!!

We're booked - hope we can keep this trip!!!
  12. djegators

djegators Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, you are right...you can cancel SW without a penalty, and they give you credit, which you can use to rebook. I believe you have to use it withing a year, but that is still better than what most places offer. Also remember to compare apples to oranges...just the checked bag fees from some airlines can make it worthwhile to pay a little more for SW.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.