1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Southwest Sales??

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Suekel, Nov 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Suekel

Suekel VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My husband and I are hoping to go to Vegas right before Christmas. We have good comp offers for rooms, but airfares from AUS are running between $400 and $500 RT per person, which is more than we are willing to shell out.

We always go on Southwest and would greatly prefer to do so again. They have good nonstop options from our city, we like getting the points thru RR since most places we go are places we go via SW, and I just like them the best in general.

We went to Vegas last year at the same time, and I recall similary high rates, and then there was a crazy good one day sale around Dec 5th which we pounced on, it was around $230 per person.

Does anyone know if SW tends to repeat sales around the same time of year, or does anyone have reason to believe the AUS-LAS route is likely to go on sale in the next couple of weeks? I know I can book at the higher price and then re-book if it drops, but I'd rather not book 2 $450 flights in the first place. We'd just wait and go in early 2014 in that case.

Vegas Just Because...
  2. LTA

LTA Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I follow Southwest on Facebook and just today they announced they were having a sale. I'd just start checking every day!

3. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Their "sale price", Black Friday email I just got today for Feb 7-11 is $206 each way for us. I booked a couple of months ago at $185.90.

I know these sales work for some cities, but never out of Milwaukee it seems.

Christmas
  4. RedRock702

RedRock702 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It might seem a little obsessive but sometimes I tend to check multiple times per day as it seems prices even change multiple times per day.

I booked my flight out of MKE for Feb first at 206 each way (using miles) and then when I cancelled my OCT trip they had them for 179.00 each way so I rebooked. Then in the middle of a sale a week or so ago, the outgoing flight dropped to 167 and the return went back up to 206. Then two days later the outgoing went up to 206 and the return dropped to 167. What I did notice is that sometimes they only offer a few seats at the lower prices and as they sell out the price goes up, but if it get returned (switched out) the price drops back down. I just hope it drops to 129 each way for Feb!

5. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My experience mirrors the posts above. Used to be they had great internet wide sales frequently. Remember "Ding" going off all day? Now they have sales but they seem to be in other cities, or, in your city but not LV! The only thing that I have done in the last few years that I found successful was to not book when they first extend their reservation system. It tends to be high, then they come down and if it seems in line with what I usually pay, I book, ever vigilant of a sale. And yes, some sales last a day, or, perhaps a few hours. If the deal seems good, I book, and like mentioned above, I hate rebooking and having a credit but I plan to increase my trips so perhaps that won't be as much of an issue in the future.

Being flexible is helpful, and, what I needed to do this year to go on the cheap, but I do miss the one non-stop we had and SWA eliminated when they opened at Logan in Boston. Keep looking, and never say never.

Jimbo338

6. Suekel

Suekel VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I do check at least a couple times a day, but so far it's holding firm at $250 out there and $199 back. No way am I paying $900 for two flights to Vegas. I'll keep watching and hoping that there is either a Black Friday sale or a One Day Sale that offers better rates. I think it's hurting us that we are trying to go so close to Christmas (20-23 Dec). Oh well, I guess it will either happen or it won't, we'll see.

Thanks for the replies and insight.

Vegas Just Because...
  7. kps

kps High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you're flexible the 19th first flight out non stop (6:05 am) is $163 to LV and non stop back on the 23rd last flight out non stop (7:40 PM) is $179 so $342/person as of right now.

8. Suekel

Suekel VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    BOOKED!! We finally snagged flights on SW, non stop both ways, for about $300 per person, which is higher than what we usually get but much better than what we'd been seeing. Did have to add Thurs nigh, for 4 nights total, but rooms are free so no harm.

First 3 nights Ballys Jubilee tower, final night Cosmo comped. 2 weeks from today we'll be there.

Vegas Just Because...
  9. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I guess the day of the across the board internet sales at SWA are over. This year I got a decent price by taking an evening flight and staying with a friend the first night and then checking into the EC the next day. That also took care of the penalty at the EC for those of us bold enough to want to stay more than 7 days in LV. If you have the luxury of being flexible it can save you money and convenience.

I'm happy you got a decent flight Suekel!

Jimbo338

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.