1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Southwest Plane Skids on Collapsed Gear at LGA Runway

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Viva Las Vegas, Jul 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas Ramblin' Gamblin' Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LaGuardia Airport in New York City stopped accepting flights on Monday evening after a Boeing 737 landed at the airport without its front landing gear. The Southwest flight 345, from Nashville, had previously reported possible issues with its landing gear.

According to a New York-based ABC affiliate, there were 143 passengers and 5 crew on the plane. Port Authority told the station that four passengers were treated for anxiety attacks at the scene, and "several" were hospitalized with neck and back injuries. There are no reports of serious injuries or fatalities. Every passenger made it off the flight OK, according to multiple reports.

Video of landing

You know the nearer your destination, the more you slip slidding away.

2. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wonder how many incidents have to happen before they lose their ranking as the safest airline in the USA.

3. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My guess would be quite a bit... SWA's got a pretty solid rep... only other couple incidents I can recall was the "sunroof" incident on the plane around Phoenix and the plane that skidded into the fence at Midway a few years ago.

4. bswim

bswim High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Big Tip, just how many incidents are you aware of?
    I know wikipedia isn't the most trusted source but according to this they only have had 5 incidents prior to yesterday, total of 2 fatalities and 43 injuries. Considering that they have a fleet of 554 planes and have 234 departures per day from Chicago and 219 departures from LAS per day. That's just the 2 largest hubs, they serve 85 destinations, that creates a lot of opportunities for accidents.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southwest_Airlines

5. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If its an issue on all planes hopefully it gets resolved before my trip next month.

6. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    From a USA Today article:
    "Southwest has not reported a fatality in its operating history, according to the Consumer Warning Network, making it the safest major airline in the world."

I personally only remember the "instant sunroof" thing. And think about how many landings and takeoffs they have compared to other airlines.

7. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I find that interesting. I guess they don't consider the little boy that died in the MDW accident a fatality because he wasn't on the plane but I do.

8. bswim

bswim High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That claim is made by the "Consumer Warning Network", never heard of them before...............

In addition to the boy in the car this is the only other fatality that is listed on Wikipedia "A passenger Jonathan Burton broke through the cockpit door aboard Southwest Airlines Flight 1763 while en route from Las Vegas to Salt Lake City. In their own defense, the other passengers restrained Burton, who later died of the resulting injuries."

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.